Mk5 gt tdi 140 clutch pedal sticking halfway

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by DN5, Dec 27, 2017.

1. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys. Normally posting in the mk2 and mk3 forums but in here on behalf of my sister.

She has the above car on a 2005 plate I believe.

Clutch pedal only rising back up half way and she's having to flick it back up with her foot. Not ideal at roundabouts and junctions!

I'm after some advice on where to start?
    No leaks visible but do I start on a fluid change, new slave, new mc?

Is this a known fault for the mk5? Had a BKD but that was fine.

Any help much appreciated :thumbup:
    Rich.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a master cylinder issue, not aware of it being a common fault on the mk5.

3. DN5

Ok thanks for that. Just had a look and seems the master is all part of the pedal on it.
    I'll grab one and whip out the power bleeder and see what we get [:D]

Cheers, Rich.

4. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

It appears to always have been a systematic design fault but I am not a mechanic, yet I have experience of a few failures. additionally I have heard of more.

I have a Skoda Yeti 2103 4x4 which had what I believe to be a random failure of the gearbox/clutch /slave. Initially the dealer replaced the pedal master under warranty, I drove the car for a few miles and it was apparent that the problem was not fixed so it was taken straight back. they decided to do the slave within the gearbox and everything was fine for a year or so. It does seem now that there is a slight drop in the pedal overnight and I have an automatic reaction that has developed where I flick up the pedal automatically at the start of any one day...............I feel that it would be best if I were to have retained the original pedal master.

I may over analyse things always but my thoughts are that the replacement PEDAL master may be from the older parts bin where these items were obviously subject to systematic faults.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. DN5

It does seem to be a bit of a fault then although it's the first I've heard of this with the mk5.

I have spoken to my sister again this morning and what she failed to tell me until now is that a garage has recently changed the pedal / master cylinder already.
    So with that checked off the list and a fresh bleed off the list (as it'll have to have been bled through)
    What else am I looking at?
    In my project car I changed the master and slave in one sitting to cure a fault but don't these cars have an internal slave in the gearbox? Also read about a diaphragm that wears?

Thanks so far :thumbup:

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Only other thing it can be is the internal slave cylinder, or the actual clutch!

7. DN5

Ahh man.....

Never mind, she'll just have to live with it.

If anything does occur further with it, I'll whack a post in.

Thanks, Rich.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can you not just mod a return spring under the pedal somehow

9. DN5

Exactly what I'm looking at doing! Just trying to dig a spring out that isn't too heavy