Modified 8v project head

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mr hillclimber, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Tristan

that REC , is that Paul Ivey?
    @Guy Croft , he's one of the old skool , machine out the metal type of tuners , had one of his engines on a FIAT twin cam rally car , beautiful porting .

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, fantastic reference thread you're putting up here Jason. Bet there's loads reading if, even if not commenting, so big hand to you for doing it :clap:

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

*ahem* Sticky!!

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

fantastic read.. well worth spending the time reading the whole tread - very informative.

Thankyou

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

cracking good read when you gona start a 16v thread :)

8. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

RedLexus... yep, Paul Ivey.. and yes, I had a "foreign body" drop down an intake trumpet and tipped a couple of valve heads. My machinist put them in the chuck of a lathe and "just gave them a tap" to straighten the heads back up.. they lapped up fine and have been no trouble at all ever since.. Though dont try this at home :lol: , and certainly not with standard or two piece valves.

Chris... thanks for yr comments and making me "sticky" (now "there's" something I never imagined I'd say to another man! [:|]..:lol: )... I did'nt ever consider it would be this popular, I guess there's still a lot of 8v fans out there after all, though the same principles can be used on most heads.

Mike... thanks for the sticky vote (see above !:lol:)

Bill... thank "you" very much.

Altern8... thanks again (and to all those who've added their comments). A 16v thread eh...mmm. Well to be honest, I've had a few enquiries re heads, a couple of those are 16v, so if they transpire into anything and the owners dont mind...

Failing that, a friend in the trade has heard I've been looking at flow benches, we're having a proper chat soon...

Said friend also owns an engine dyno...[:^:]... I'd rather quantify any development work before I get ahead of myself. This is still just a hobby/interest thing for me at the moment (I was getting bored with the playstation! :lol:) so earning a living still takes priority, thus slowing down development... but a 16v head is very likely, I'll keep you posted.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I thought that said "Jizz", even after reading it for the second time in disbelief.[:$] :lol:

10. badger5

nice 20v largeport... with larger valves if they can be made to fit... on an 83mm bore..
    Badger project step II engine :)

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

20V large port

Got one stripped ready, on the back of the bench. Been there 2+ years.. The cams are done (newman re-grind) and a new inlet manifold for 45's. The only prob I can see is clearnce from the top ring to the centre exhaust valve is tight, making high cr difficult
    Been wondering who to farm the head work out to. May not be a very big job as the port shape looks very good std.

12. badger5

ADR head?

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Pretty sure it is, although its been a while. At the risk of hijacking the thread, Ive sent an image to chris_e which he may/may not want to add to the thread, at his discretion.

14. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

:lol:

15. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Mmm... Could be worth a look when the bench is up and running. :)

I'd imagine it would be difficult to get much bigger inserts in the head (hav'nt seen one for a while), so maybe slightly bigger valves (0.5-ish ?) fitting right to the edge of the standard seats and opening the throats out... would certainly need flow bench work to confirm viability. A scrap head would be ideal for that before spending loads of money on expensive big valves incase the gain was'nt worth the expenditure.

Hav'nt you got enough power ?:lol:

16. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

There's lots of good head men out there Jon, or have a go yr self based on the principles above. Again, the seat and throat work will be the key, rather than hogging out lots of material from the port runners.

17. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I dont mind, but it maybe better to keep this thread as per the title (i.e 8v stuff), or post multi valve stuff here for now until another head thread starts?... I'll leave that one in Chris's court.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'll just drop this 20V picture on for Jon Olds.

To keep this *good* thread 8-valve specific, give it a few days and I'll move all of the recent 20V chat over onto a new thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
  19. Tristan

I've a spare hyd 8v head that I don't need right now , I was thinking of "sectioning" it to see where the ports and runners come close to the water galleries , would pictures of that be any use to you , Mr. H-C?
    Oh and following Badger Bills link , I got prices back from SuperTech re valves...
    Tristan,
    Now that was for (the wrong) Hyd valves , but the price is hardly likely to be much different , I hope.

20. badger5

allow for 3% duty, 17.5% vat and a handling fee from UPS..
    Supertech are what I sell for 1.8T for some years now. been very good.
    also do springs etc