Monkey with a spanner... (mk1 20vt AEB)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by ShaunyC, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Aeb-Reid New Member

Any progress? I just started a similar build. But it involves a mk1 rabbit, e85, aeb, and a bt. Anyway does the stock exhaust Mani work?

2. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Hi mate, got a box of bits the other day so hopefully an update coming soon if it all fits? Good luck with ya build :thumbup:

I used the exhaust mani that got sent with the k04 from a BAM, but i've seen a thread on another forum where they used the AEB stuff and just turned the turbo round or something.. hth

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

3. smudger1980 New Member

What's the latest on this Shauny?

4. niall-217 New Member

what engine mounts, any picts? im doing the same conversion

5. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Ok been a quite some time for an update... my excuse is getting scared off by a couple of probs and work life! pahh

So first wee prob was that alternator i painted went on but when i came to mount the throttle body it clashed..
    [​IMG]

So i took it in my wizzdom to grind some out..
    [​IMG]

Snug..
    [​IMG]

Got a shiney new radiator
    [​IMG]

Sexy..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next prob in the fact that i dont know what i'm doing... was the coolant system.. analising vag cat diagrams for days i went and baught a agu system and solid pipe.. but what a waste of money.. i tried to crosspolinate AEB and AGU systems but pahhh

So after even more analising i decided to custom make the system.. this is the general design if you can understand it..
    [​IMG]

So armed with a box of bits..
    [​IMG]

I went about puting it to practise...
    easiest way to chop em..
    [​IMG]

then what it looks like.. just got some 16mm pipe to add to matrix oil cooler and expansion when i mount it..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the biggest prob that ruined me... when i mounted the inlet mani the bolts just span :( (not torque down)
    [​IMG]

So plan B was...
    [​IMG]

Helicoils.. which after drilling and tapping 'all' the holes realised the springs wouldnt go in... doh... the drill bit with the set was bent is my only excuse..

So plan C was...
    [​IMG]

Stepped studs.. Knowing this was my last chance before a new head i gingerly drilled and tapped 'one' hole with a tap i borrowed from the enginering place that made the bolts for me.... and guess what!?!? they never scewed in... nice one! the tap was slighty dammaged but thought he wouldnt of lent me it if it wouldnt work... haaa

So that was me downing tools on the project for quite some time.. until a week or so ago, where i confronted my fears with a brand new set of taps and drill bit.. gingerly doing one at a time, saving the buggerd thread till the end and trying to re cut it and it worked.. buzzing to bits... the studs needing grinding down to fit home but that at least made them all nip up tight with some thread lock...
    [​IMG]

A little task that kick started this motivation off, was to get the donar car off my drive thats been there 2 year! hahaha... my wirring looms had gone missing?? so rather than buy another mk1 loom, i went about getting the one out the A4... which was fun to say the least.... i tried my hardest to get it out in one piece to make life a little easier when sussing later...
    [​IMG]

The mess..
    [​IMG]

And to finish off with... something abit different.. i ordered a litle something from Grasshopper Drag in germany.. i rod change conversion for the 02A gearbox... come with good instructions.. which was in english and the stuff was top quality...
    [​IMG]

The first prob i had was where the relay lever mounted to the gearbox there was a big conversion mount in the way..
    [​IMG]

So off it came and some holes drilling... this was the worst part of the conversion
    [​IMG]

And it all looks a little something like this...
    [​IMG]

Like seeing shiny stuff going on! lol... but the prob i've got now is finding all the gears.. i wont moan though because i havent fiddled with it enough yet... but got a feeling its to do with the relay lever being over an inch...

Soo thats all folks lets see if i can keep the ball rolling now :)

6. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Glad its moving ahead now

7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Hadn`t seen the tapped stud`s before. Interesting solution.

I know the 02a cable change isn`t brilliant, but I`m used to it now. Be interesting to hear how you find your rod-change setup.

Keep at it, I want to see this on track !!

8. Admin Guest

I would imagine the rod change to be very direct, like an 020 with little slop. If I go 02A I will make it rod change.

Good thread keep the update coming please!

9. benny Forum Member

Very nicely done! Feels good to get past the headaches eh!?

10. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx guys.. dont want to speak too soon but stating to feel like i've broke its back :)

Cant take full credit for the stepped studs, got the idea off daved on here when i was having problems with the helicoils... soooo glad it worked :)

From what i read it takes a bit of time getting use to the H pattern so close, especialy if used the the second hole on the relay lever.. which looks like i might have to do because it hits the bulkhead?? strugaling to find the gears even if i just pull about on the tower leavers.. hope the gearbox isnt fubard..

Definetly feels good getting past the headaches benny :) sure i'll have more to come!? lol

Dave likes this.
  11. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Any updates on this its been a while :thumbd: lol

12. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Very nice engineering work there Shaun.

You can come and work with me any time. I might learn something more from you cos. you can teach this 'old dog' new tricks.

Regards,

Dave.

ShaunyC likes this.
  13. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Bloody hell cant belive its been two years since i've worked on this :(

Been thinking about it constantly, only thought it had been a year tho not that thats good.. new job soaking 57+ hour weeks up like i dont want to live anymore n new wifey sucking the remainder up put everything on halt..
    BUT now everythings settled down abit i'm gona try relight this old flame :) Jst gona have to re read everything to remember what i was up to last lol

14. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Good to see you back :thumbup:

it`ll be finished by 2020 if you are lucky lol

15. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Good to be back nige :)

Think 2020 will be closer than my earlier 2011/12 predictions lol

Was quite invigorating reading my thread back as sad as that sounds lol

Jst clearing the cobwebs out n re organising this weekend :)

16. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Finally got the garage spring cleaned...
    [​IMG]

Spent the full weekend clearing cobwebs n crispy leaves.. Had really good re organization getting things splint into boxes n labled up rather than scattered about also dragged my chest out the shed which practically had junk in n gave all my tools a clean an new home :)
    [​IMG]

Well bit of a sad update but glad to be out there again :)
    Just been out there again tonight putting a new plan of attack together...

beetie and Nige like this.
  17. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Ok time for an update to prove i've not fell off the wagon again so soon, lol

Carried on with abit more organization.. Easy way to kick start ;)[​IMG]

Ok not the sturdiest but better than my bucket of chinky tubs full of bolts..

What else.. I fixed my expansion bottle abit better and rivited a P clip to the chassis leg to hold the pipe out the way of the ancillary belt..[​IMG]

Then went ahead and chopped some sheath away from my mk2 1.3 clutch cable.. Offered it up to get an estimate but think it went weong somewhere as iv chopped much more than i needed too.. Only did about 90mm, not too bothered as i've read these are quite prone for snapping, so will prob have to replace before its limits reached.. Sussed some fat spacers to use if not..
    Actually one of the 1st thing i did after catching up on my thread was suss out why my selector H patern seemed 90 degree out after fitting the rod conversion.. And as stupid as it sounds i had the relay levers on the tower the wrong way round! Ha lol
    All selects nice now :)
    [​IMG]

Those with a keen eye will notice the scaby rubber bung at the end of the cable... The grommet with the mk2 cable didnt suit the bracket so had to change it..
    [​IMG]

Oh also took of my filtter assay so i could fit the crank angle behind it, replaced the gasket at the same time, alao fitted both knock sensors again as i've pratically decided ro fit the loom as close to as it was out the audi.. Which brings me to the next bit.. Fitting the mk3 clocks

The challenge..
    [​IMG]

I figured the best aproach was to mount the clocks and slot the dash over, so with alot of measurements and estimations i came up with a template..
    [​IMG]

Then a hard copy..
    [​IMG]

Then a few more gestimates for hole locations..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the actual dash which needed more moding at the back than the front..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the front there was a slither to shave fron the top of the opening, then a little tab to grind off then the mounting part of the frame at the bottom right had to go so a couple of extra bolts where put in below..
    [​IMG]

The insert got mangled.. Got another on the way but think i'm gona go super retro S1 styley ;) lol

Some more cool stuff i didnt get to finish was i made some turbo line before this 2 year break..
    [​IMG]

So went about getting these mounted and was hoping to get it mounted to my exhaust mani but this pesky EGT hole has done my head in.. Can i hell find a plug bolt M12x1.0
    [​IMG]

Also regarding the turbo i'm tryin to man up and tap this hole! m14x1.5..
    [​IMG]

But after getting the 12.5mm drill bit to open it out a mm or so i realised it wouldnt fit in with a drill so daring myself to chop it down with a grinder..

Last couple of bits.. Cleaned up some clios for my cambelt cover..
    [​IMG]

Cant put it on yet tho as still need to sort tensioner out.. Can i hell find one 75mm ish i've got a few n none fit.. Prob would if i still had 153 tooth belt on tho grr ha..

Thats all for now be back soon :)

18. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Do these last pics look too big too everyone??? Jst seen em on my pc n they look massive!

Anyway bit of an update did most of this a while ago and been sussing bits since.. hopping to crack on with alot more over next few weeks as its finally my 3 week spare! whoop

Found the loom was in a massive chunk of foam..
    [​IMG]

So spent a solid 9 hours plus picking it off..
    [​IMG]

Also made my mind up the A4 stalks are going on so this needed some alteration..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wola...
    [​IMG]

Also managed to get my clocks to light up on the bench.... But the blue LED's never came out as excpected :( So trying something else eventually..
    [​IMG]

Finally got a bung for my turbo..
    [​IMG]

So onwards with fitting the turbo :)
    There was still the slight issue of my water feed on the block not being threaded, and the first problem with that was the drill being to long to get in.. so doctored that..
    [​IMG]

Was awkward to say the least and i think i made the pitch for the new point too sharp as it kept biting.. but eventually got it all tapped out :)
    [​IMG]

That out the way i finally got the turbo mounted
    [​IMG]

Round the front had a little panic the oil feed line wasnt long enough but was thank god
    [​IMG]

Time to sort the oil rturn but 1st had to mount the sump which was alot more of a pain in the ass than expected haa...
    The pump its self out the bottom of block was fouling the baffles so had to drill a chunk out.. after several atempts
    [​IMG]

Got it mounted and conected return
    [​IMG]

All should be clear of the driveshaft.. but i recon i'm gona have to create a bracket to suppot the turbo as none of these fit in :(

More soon :) Brake line fuel lines top of the agenda

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looking good :thumbup:

20. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx RJ :)