My 16v Turbo Track Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by sparrow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Donington a blast!

Prep for Donington was zero. All my spare time has been spent on the race car, in order to get it ready for this race season. So much so, that I brought along new steering rack bolts to fit in the morning. I mean, how long can it take to undo and replace two bolts?

I packed up after work on Friday, and headed up to the Premier Inn at East Midlands. I met up with Nick, Rich, Kelly, Adam and Andy, and we then went over to a local Indian restaurant, where we met up with Steve and Paul. Ste joined us a bit later.
    After a good meal, and some banter, we headed back and I hit the sack.

Saturday morning, I woke up just after 6, and was in the breakfast room by 7. There was no sign of any of the others by the time Id eaten. I headed over to the track, and unloaded, so I could change the bolts quickly. Or not, as it turned out.
    The first bolt was tight, but even once it had been released, the impact gun was still struggling to turn it. Eventually it came off though, mangling all the threads on the way off. I then fitted the first of the new bolts from Tom, after cleaning all the oil off the subframe.
    However, the second nut wasnt coming off. As soon as I tried to loosen it off, the threads just stripped and the nut and bolt just spun. Great. Nothing for it but to drill the head off. This took a while, but eventually the bolts were replaced and tightened up.

I only lost an hour, but the track had already been closed twice. This was because the heavy rains had turned the grass in to marsh land, and anyone having a simple spin ended up getting stuck, which required the track to be closed while they were being recovered.

As I went out for a test, the track was closed again. Same problem. Absolutely nothing the organisers could do about it, just one of those things.
    Once the lights turned green, it was time to go. The tyre pressures were a bit low (low 20s all round), but thats normal. The car immediately felt better with the new rack bolts; the feedback was better, the car responded to inputs much better, it was great.

However, the tyres werent performing, the car was very floaty. Back in after a few laps, and take the tyre pressures. Hmm, theyd not moved at all, if anything, theyd dropped.
    I pumped them up to about 27 all round, and went out again. Much better again, and I was able to really start pushing on.

After a few laps, I could feel the front starting to wash away, so came in. As expected, the tyre pressures had risen at the front to 32, so they were dropped back down to 29.

After a cool down, I went out again, and the car was awesome. Very predictable, fairly neutral moving to oversteer if I was ham fisted, but still very balanced. I was having a blast.
    At the Melbourne Loop, the brake pedal went a little bit long, and wasnt any better before the front straight. However, at the end of the front straight, it went nearly to the floor.

I came in, and checked the pads. There was only about 1mm of pad material left, so they had just over heated. I changed them out, and one of the inside pads was almost down to the metal. Great pads, and there is minimal taper on them. Im not the hardest braker out there, as the car gets very tail happy if you just stand on the brakes, but Im reasonable, so happy with the pad wear.

I put in a set of PF01s that Id picked up recently, then went for some lunch.
    After lunch I went out, had a couple of quiet laps to bed the pads in, and then started pushing on again. I saw a red M3 catching me, and then he was right behind me. I pulled over to let him passed, but he indicated I should carry on. We did another lap like this, and then I let him passed so I could pick up some lines from him. He promptly drifted around McLeans on to the back straight, which made me chuckle. I was just about able to hang on to him, until we got caught up in traffic, and he made a getaway. As I cleared the traffic, I saw him up ahead being held up, so pushed a bit too hard to catch up, and had a huge lockup at the end of the back straight, completely flat spotting my left front tyre. However, he promptly spun it and got beached, so the track was closed anyway.
    Turns out it was Jamie. Heres some of his efforts, including beaching it.
    [video=youtube;zRhpFtLigG4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRhpFtLigG4[/video]

I went back in, and swapped to the 205 section 888s, and then went out again. They definitely feel better than the 195s, but theres not much in it.

I tried my new race gloves for this session, and finally understand why people wear them, they do make a big difference.
    Id also been wearing my new race shoes for the first time. Im not sure about them, and did find myself pressing the throttle pedal by mistake when braking hard a few times, so need to work on that.

I went out for one last session just after 4, but only managed a lap or two. There was a pop, and then no power, exactly like when a boost pipe comes off. However, I couldnt find it, so Im guessing theres a split pipe somewhere. However, it was getting late, so I didnt bother trying to find it, that can wait for another day.

I have some videos, but my desktop is in the loft, so Ill add them when its back up.

Conclusions from the day? I love Donington, and I love this car.

Before I take it out again, I want to sort the bump steer, including fitting the SCCH parts I bought last year, and fix the caster. Theres much less caster on the passenger sided than the drivers side.
    The suspension is also at its limit, which I already knew.

I think the steering rack bolts have moved already, so a more permanent solution is required. I have some plans already, but they will need firming up first.

The engine needs to come out, and have all the seals refreshed. Ill also need to work out why theres so much crank case pressure. The engine bay needs a good clean as its covered in oil.

When any of this will happen, is anyones guess. Back on to the race car now.

Toyotec, pascal77uk, beetie and 2 others like this.
  2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Why are you racing the A3 and not the Mk2 ?

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I'd need a new engine for the Mk2 to fit in to the series I want to run in.
    I also want a car that can be used to promote our products, which includes drive by wire, traction control, etc. all of which would have to be retro fitted to the Golf.
    The Audi just made more sense.

pascal77uk likes this.
  4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Some Videos

[video=youtube;gMoInYYDpZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMoInYYDpZk[/video]

[video=youtube;Sp_MyTOzzRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp_MyTOzzRg[/video]

[video=youtube;Ax58v2ETH90]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax58v2ETH90[/video]

I didn't record the session of me locking up, but you can see it here from 3:35:

[video=youtube;vhVh7IDocOM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhVh7IDocOM?t=218[/video]

pascal77uk, 1.8T_mk2 and Sirguydo like this.
  5. knarfmk1 Forum Member

In what way do they make a difference?

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Surprisingly comfortable, grip the wheel better, absorb sweat, the wheel doesn't chafe, but still have all the feedback of no gloves. :thumbup:

knarfmk1 likes this.
  7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Unexpectedly, this was out on track again yesterday.
    On Wednesday, I spotted a Facebook post from Jim Cameron asking if anyone was available on Saturday to do passenger rides for Mission Motorsport, as they'd had a late cancellation. I was available, the Golf was in one piece, so a deal was done.

On Thursday, I realised I needed a passenger seat if I was to be able to fulfill my part of the deal. Unfortunately my other seat is in the Audi, which is in Gloucester. A couple of messages, and I was able to borrow one of my old seats from Jon Malik of Stealth Racing. Seatbelts were sorted.

Friday I checked the oil fitted the seat, and loaded the car on to the trailer.

5am is way too early to be getting up. Especially on a Saturday.
    It was also chucking it down. The good news is I sold the only wheels I had with road tyres on during the week, so my options are currently 205 888s which are part worn, or 195 888s with more tread, but one very badly flat spotted. I have some AO48s, but they're not on wheels.

This was going to be interesting.
    Did I mention I've never driven Castle Combe before? And I'm supposed to be giving paying passengers a quick lap? What had I let myself in for??

I got there just before 8, and after being told to go to the wrong place a few times, I found the Mission Motorsport team.
    Offloaded, warmed the car up, and went over to noise testing.
    And failed! 103dB?! I've never measured above 99dB before.
    No problem, says the sound man, just pop over to Merlin Motorsport (on site) and buy an exhaust bung.
    Tried that. There stock of 3" bungs were on back order.
    This was not going well.

A few FB posts, but no luck. So I had breakfast.
    I went back to Merlin Motorsport, as they had a few small exhaust silencers. I'd measured my exhaust, which is 3" out, 74mm (2 and 7/8 inner). The biggest Merlin do is 3".
    A big shout out to Merlin, who are obviously used to this. They let you leave a card, take a silencer, fit it to your car (I just shoved it in the end of the exhaust) and do a re-test. If you fail, they simply take it back, and give you your card back. Great service.

[​IMG]

I passed at 98dB. Phew. Added two exhaust clamps, and got signed on. I had to wait a while for the next drivers briefing, which was very useful, mention the two surfaces, and the fact you can use the escape roads at the esses and Bobbies, as there are gaps between the two rows of tyres.

However, the rain hadn't eased up in the slightest. I was offered a passenger lap in one of the other cars to show me the way around. It was an E92 M3, which is an amazing piece of kit. The weather didn't slow it down much, but the river across the track at Hammerdown meant there was no way I was venturing out just yet. It was now about 11:30, so I had an early lunch, during which time the rain stopped, and it got a bit lighter. I decided to venture out.

By now, the water was starting to clear, so there was a line appearing around the track. Not dry by any stretch of the imagination, but not standing water and rivers.
    One of the big advantages of doing the passenger rides is that we all get let out ahead of the other drivers in the session, meaning we have a nice clear few laps. The format was out lap, flying lap and in lap, although you end up just driving all three laps like flying laps, as the car is always up to temperature.
    I was second or third out, behind Al Clarke in the 996 GT3, so I used him as a gauge of how fast I could go. As long as I stuck to the less wet part of the track I was fine, and having a rough idea of where to be on the track also helped a lot.
    However, there was nothing I could do to judge the relative levels of grip when going to the old tarmac just before Bobbies. It was like driving on to ice and I just locked up and skated off down the escape road. The old tarmac from Bobbies to Folly is just hilariously slippery in the wet, it's like being on ice. I couldn't even use full throttle in third down the front straight, I just spun up in to the rev limiter, like this (at about 1 minute):
    [video=youtube_share;1XM9ngIN9wA]https://youtu.be/1XM9ngIN9wA?t=55[/video]

Apart from that, there was plenty of grip and no standing water, so it was game on. However, the next session was an exclusive one, and then it was the lunch break, so I was able to process the laps and plan what I wanted to do after lunch.

The afternoon was epic. I was able to take about 7 or 8 people on laps, and I learning the track as I went along. Each session the track was drier then before, and I was learning the track more as well, so I was getting faster and faster.

I only had one moment the whole day, when I decided to throw it in to the esses in an attempt to get ahead of Jim in the GT86, so I could stay behind Al in the Porsche as my passenger's friend was in the Porsche. It was rather optomistic, and resulted in a pirouette in front the rest of the MM group. I hope there was a camera running in one of the other cars.

I used an entire 50L of fuel in about 3 hours of lapping. Fortunately there was a spare jerry can of fuel, so I checked in another 20L and carried on. By now the track was bone dry, so I was pushing on and learning the lines.
    My favourite part of the track is the section from the esses to Tower. It just flows, and the car loves it. Through the esses in third, short shift in to fourth and just build speed smoothly through Old Paddock and Hammerdown.
    Folly is both brilliant and terrifying, as the car is just so light at those speeds. As I had a passenger, I was leaving room for error, so didn't get to try Folly flat, but Hammerdown I was just about able to if I got the line through Old Paddock right.
    I'm looking forward to being there again so I can try both flat.

About 4pm, I heard the dreaded lift pump rattle signifying I was low on fuel again, meaning I'd used 70L in little over 3 hours of sessions. Unfortunately that meant I had to stop when there were a couple of people still waiting to go out.
    Everyone I took out, even in the wet seemed to enjoy it, and a couple of people were very pleased with the laps, which was nice.

If anyone spots any video or pictures of me, please let me know. :thumbup:

It was great to get some track time, and be able to support such a worth cause at the same time.
    The car was faultess all day, even with the exhaust bung hanging off the end. I literally checked the oil, and filled it with fuel. I didn't even look at the tyre pressures all day, I just drove it hard.

I'm back at Castle Combe on Saturday the 24th for Rally Day. I'll have the Golf there again, and will be doing some laps. I'm not sure if passengers are allowed, but if you're there, and they are, come and say hi, and I'll see what we can do.

pascal77uk likes this.
  8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I haven't driven the car since the last update, but the car has had a few updates.

It now sports an S60, as I need to do some testing. At the same time I redid the engine loom, including a proper bulkhead connector, which I bought about 3 years ago!
    [​IMG]

A little bit of tidying left to do.

In doing that, I found that the driver's side Compbrake tie rod had come loose. I remember the car feeling really good in the morning at Donington, but less so in the afternoon.
    This is probably when it happened, and it means I ran like that the whole of Combe.

A spanner check has ensued, and everything else is as it should be.

Looks like the Audi won't be ready, so I'll be in this at Curborough. It will just be nice to be out in a car again.

Sirguydo, pascal77uk and Toyotec like this.
  9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Oooooo Deutsch connectors! IP67 sealed and everything!

Gurds

sparrow likes this.
  10. danvw799 Paid Member Paid Member

epic build :thumbup:

sparrow likes this.
  11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Now for sale, see the the for sale section.