My Frankestein EA827

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ace_098, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ace_098 New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and new to the EA827 engines. I've been rebuilding a 1988 Audi 80 B3 with my father, a 1.8S supposedly. About 3 years ago, the previous owner shot the engine so we swapped it from a donor 1.9, but kept the 1.8 head and the carburetor. We bought it a couple of months ago, rebuilt the engine, put it all together. Not one of us thought of examining the engine codes before putting it back in the car.
    I found the dotted PP between 3rd and 4th cylinder, which I found to be a 1.6 engine. The block is dated early 1990, the head is late 1987.
    After searching for clues online I'm even more confused as there are so many versions.
    That's why I'm looking to get some more insight from you guys. I got some info that might or might not be helpful.
    - Engine code PP is dotted, but all other codes I saw are stamped
    - The pistons heads have shallow holes in them for the valves.
    - Piston and valve collide if timing is not correct (we found that out when replacing hydraulic lifters)

Sorry for a long read, I really hope someone has an answer to this as I'm stumped and my dad doubts it's a 1.6.

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Post up some pictures from top of block / pistons and head > combustion chambers
    As that makes it often easier to discus thingsā€¦ and get better feedback
    And as its a VW engine, much parts are interchangableā€¦

3. ace_098 New Member

(Un)fortunately, the engine is back in the car already and working like a charm, except the low oil pressure, which should get solved by a new oil pump. I was away from home while dad was working on the engine, but according to him, there are small grooves in the piston heads to make space for the valves. All I could provide from now on are exterior pictures, as I doubt he would agree to taking the head off again. The previous owner bought another 1.8S with a Keihin carb. But ours performs considerably better. Could be because of a Weber 32 carb and bored intake holes, but also something else. Are there any differences in block height between 1.6 and 1.8?

4. ace_098 New Member

Also if it might help, he bought a gasket for a 1.8, which was a perfect fit for both the head and the block, meaning it's a 81mm bore? I really have no idea. I might have misread the code, but it looks to me like PP, could be RP maybe

5. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

1.6 - 1.8 engines have 220 mm block height and also a number 2.0 L engines
    Except the 2.0 tall blocks from ABF, 2E.... who are 236 mm height

6. ace_098 New Member

here's some engine pics, the code looks like it says PP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello and welcome :)

PP is a passat 1.6 code, 51KW/70HP. its basically the same as a MK1/2 1.6 Carb engine code EZ/EW and many others. So its a 1.8 block casting, with 1.8 rods but a different crank and pistons to reduce the CC. At least, originally.

Since its a 1.8 block casting you can swap the crank and pistons for 1.8 items, over here it generally wouldn't be worth the effort but in some countries where the rules are much stricter on what you can and cannot modify its a more popular option

8. ace_098 New Member

Well it's documented as 66kW 1.8 so making it 1.8 again would not be an issue. Is there any writing on the crank to indicate that it's a 1.8 or 1.6? Or any measures that would help? Or big end bearing dimensions? We are gonna replace those together with a new oil pump.

9. rubjonny

All the bearings etc are the same, as the block and rods are the same as used in the 1.8. You can measure the throw on the crank and/or post up pictures of it and the pistons, someone will know. But if the engine is in and performing better than the previous 1.8 then I would say its probably been converted to 1.8 internals, I'm sure would have noticed if it was a 1.6 as they have considerably less torque and are overall pretty rubbish as standard :lol:

10. ace_098 New Member

That's a possibility. Because it really doesn't feel like a 70hp.

11. ace_098 New Member

Thank you for the help, I am relieved now haha.

12. ace_098 New Member

I have an update, just measured the crank, it's around 43mm, so it's 86.4mm I guess... Could it be from the 1.9, as it was the original engine in the donor car?

13. rubjonny

do you know the engien code the 1.9 would have been in the donor? I've had a quick look at B2 passat but can only see 1.6-1.8

14. ace_098 New Member

Oh I guess I forgot to mention, it's a B3 Audi, the engine was from a 1.9E, originally SF code, but I'm guessing someone buried it so put in the PP with a crank from the 1.9

15. rubjonny

SF is a 1.8 code according to ETKA, and crankshaft is same part number as MK2 1.8 :)

16. ace_098 New Member

SD* , sorry

17. rubjonny

Aha, so SD 1.9 also has same part number crank as 1.8 SF and MK2 :lol: The rods are same as 1.6-1.8 mk2 as well.

The difference appears to be in the pistons and cylinder block which is larger bore. Might have had the 1.6 block bored out to suit the SD pistons?

18. ace_098 New Member

I'm guessing the pistons are from 1.6 too, we bought a gasket for the 1.8 and it was a perfect fit, along with the head. So I guess what we have is a 1.6 block with 1.6 or 1.8 pistons and rods with a 1.9 crank and a head from a carb 1.8, with a Lada Weber carb. I think that by now the title is self explanatory haha

19. WAUOla Forum Member

Always nice seeing these old "soap" Audis. I remember having the option on getting an 80 1.8S or 1.8E (cannot remember now), but the (then unknown) more rotted mk2 GTI 16V was tempting me more. I think the wiser choice would have been the Audi in the long run...

The 1.9E really confused me first time I saw one. Guess it's alike the five cyls, just upping the bore to compensate on catalyst.

In regards to the EA 1.6 vs 1.8. they are all same internals, on bearings and all (alike seen on Golf mk2), but the throw on the 1.8 crank is longer. In your case, I am sure someone just needed a new housing due whatever reason. :)

20. ace_098 New Member

The previous owner bought another B3 and was about to send this one to the scrapyard but we offered to do all the preventative maintenance and respray the hood and the roof in exchange for this one we got. So we got this one for around 150 euros.
    Restoration was out of the question as many of the original parts were just far beyond repair. So rebuilding with a donor car was the only option. That 1.9E from the scrapyard was of great help, (the engine was replaced maybe 2 years ago) The whole interior was swapped, with black dash instead of horrible bluish one, we fixed the central lock, rebuilt the ventilation which couldn't heat even in August and also added some aesthetics, like a B4 hood and steering wheel.
    The bodywork was near perfect, there was some rust in the spare wheel spot as there was some water there, a huge dent in the rocker cover, and of course the infamous peeling clear coat.
    There are around 3 A4 pages of all the replaced/fixed parts.

I realize this is the engine thread so I have a video of first start after rebuild and tuning the engine and bleeding the air out of the cooling.

Don't mind the smoke, it's just paint burning, and the rustling sound is the alternator belt scraping the cambelt cover.

WAUOla likes this.