My fuel usage is going upto 180mpg!!!!! Then it is ok, any help please, thanks Adam

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Adam peachey, May 1, 2020.

1. Adam peachey Forum Member

My electronic fuel usage on dash is going from normal, then upto 180mpg!!! Now iv got a "get service "now a few miles back I put a drop in k&n, would this be the cause??thanks to anyone that helps, Adam

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

shhhh dont question it. surely its a good thing?

MK4 mpg will show high figures if you're just coasting along no throttle, does it drop back when you start accelerating? the mpg signal comes from the ECU but I wouldn't have thought the k&n would be the issue if the engine is still performing normally, though apparently k&n oil can affect the MAF sensor if its the type where you have to clean and oil the filter rather than fit and forget. I take it from drop in you mean standard panel filter shape which fits your airbox right? should be fine in that case

Adam peachey likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What exact MK4 is this?

1.8T? 1.6? 2.8 4 Motion?

Adam peachey likes this.
  4. Adam peachey Forum Member

Its a 2ltr GTI 2001,70,000 1 owner,but as i said the mileage is going so high it ends up with just dashes??for a few secs,&at tick over, if I twitch the throttle im sure i can hear a suck from somewhere close to throttle body, soz to be a pain, but dont even have manual yet,,many thanks again Adam

5. Adam peachey Forum Member

Would a air leak on induction between filter &throttle body cause the wild mileage reading?many thanks Adam

6. Adam peachey Forum Member

7. Adam peachey Forum Member

Many thanks, for your help, would a friend with one of those plug in fault code reader help?thanks again Adam

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its compatible with VW protocols then plug it in and see if there are any faults for sure. if there are any make a note and clear them all and see which if any come back after a good drive

Adam peachey likes this.
  9. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi Johnny, did you see my last post?obviously the noise of whirring was from 2and air pump, can i just disconnect the pump to stop it?or have to remove it &plug of the hoses?please any advise, that is why I thought it was the starter, becouse of noise, which isnt, the bloody thing is on &&off, &im sure that was what was causing the crazy mileage shown &I can smell it rich?related?ta Adam