My Mk2 Golf 20VT Berg Cup Project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mk2sp, May 26, 2009.

1. micky1 Forum Member

love this.

2. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Are you still using the standard agu ecu? If so you need to connect the tacho signal from the ecu (forgotten colour / PIN number) to a resistor (30k I think) and then connect your aftermarket tacho to the wire but before the resistor.

Easiest way I can describe it is

Take the ecu tacho wire and your aftermarket tacho wire, put the side by side so both ends point upwards and twist them together.

Next connect one end of a 30k resistor to the two wires and the other end of the resistor to earth.

This grounds the signal from the ecu and the tacho should now see a 0v-12v-0v square signal rather than a 5v-12v-5v

3. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Just realised I've already posted a picture of what you need on page 2.

Was is a 13k and not a 30k resistor that you need.

4. mk2sp Forum Member

Been busy with the car last month.

Had a lot of testing time so that Kaaz LSD can operate more smooth as it was too aggressive and the car had a lot of torque steer in the straight line acceleration. This cost me a broken outer CV (right-longer side), an unscrewed front subframe-wishbone bolt and a cracked rear right engine mount!!! I didn't want to soften the locking percentage of the diff as its fantastic during turning so i decided to add some Friction Modifiers inside the KAAZ gear oil. Bottle comes to 4oz and i only dropped half of it. Diff has been improved a lot and if i will decide to add rest half of FM then i think torque steer will disappear. It is something that will be done in track just before testing.

I also swapped the springs from rear to front. Rear ones that are 600lbs are now in the front. And front ones that are 500lbs are in the rear. Any better opinions on the spring rates??? No front ARB, OEM rear one + triangulated rear beam.

Me and my mates built a front splitter-dam aero combination to add a bit of downforce on the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images above show the final shape that front splitter-dam-divers will have. We will try to make it a one-piece part from fiberglass. We are working on this at the moment. So, more photos to follow.

Toyotec, jamesa and Nige like this.
  5. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

A word of caution. The splitters need a STRONG mounting system. Your bumper is light and secured by the pins which won`t support it. If you can`t put almost all your body weight on the splitter, it`s not strong enough. I get my son who is skinnier than me to stand on my splitter, if it won`t take his weight, it isn`t strong enough. Obviously, if you weigh 20st it`s not a fair test ;).

You may already be planning on a strong mounting system, but thought it best to mention it NOW rather than wait until it was too late.

6. mk2sp Forum Member

Thanks Nige for your input. Had that in mind when i first started it.

Whole splitter-dam package is bolted onto a metal subframe which slides inside cases that are welded on the front subframe. Splitter just passes under the oil pan and in the front it will be supported on the front bumper. In case the bumper needs extra reinforcement, we will try and find ways to do that. Will post some images soon.

Nige likes this.
  7. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

This thread has my mouth watering!

8. mk2sp Forum Member

Painted yesterday and trial fitted on car. It is supported well enough. I am confident it wont walk away as km/h will increase. I also hope it will perform properly regarding downforces when track time comes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mk2sp Forum Member

Car has been in SRC track (North Greece) a couple of weeks ago. After some tests that i've done regarding all around suspension geometry, i decided to give it a go with some quick laps. Car felt really good, with the right temperatures on front tyres but not ideal in the rear ones. Front aero part did a great job sticking the front and giving me great confidence. Aerodynamic balance with the rear end though is not the desirable one. In the video it seems how rear end goes free in high km/h bends. First, i will try to gain some rear axle stability through altering rear geometry. Maybe i will change the rear wing with another one that can do serious job.

Here is the video[video=youtube_share;UPUBI5ukeNg]http://youtu.be/UPUBI5ukeNg[/video]

Nige and Sirguydo like this.
  10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Great stuff, keep it coming
    Jon

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You were well pleased with yourself in the end lol

12. mk2sp Forum Member

Yes it was a good performance for me and the car. We set second best 2wd lap time. There are a few more things in my mind for the car before i take the great step of increasing the power of the engine. I am not great fan of lap times due to engine power. I will try to uncover the best from vehicle dynamics and aero work and i am sure i can take it.

13. bobby_ New Member

this car is almost the same as mine :)
    of course not exactly but 70% is .....

[​IMG]

mine is 2000 ITB and this year i step for first time on Serres and my time is so slow .... 1,32....

so.... why dont you give a more attack of rear wing....? and make ballance more to rear side of a car?

sorry about my english but ..... try... to write and speek :)

also one diffuser will be good for you.

where did you get those arches?

14. dubspy Forum Member

that is an amazing build.. perfection in my eyes..

mk2sp likes this.
  15. mk2sp Forum Member

Hi bobby_

Never seen your car. Any images somewhere? I visit Serres Racing Circuit quite often (except summer time).

If you can lap at 1.32.00 then you've got yourself a quick, proper set up mk2. What is the wheel track of the car? What power? Any more info? Any videos?

A proper rear wing, a flat floor and rear diffuser are my next steps and will have to be done until October.

16. mk2sp Forum Member

Last month my team and me created some side canards to smoothly drive the air in front of the rear arches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i visited circuit to have a test on them. No actual data have been measured as there are no real measuring tools, but one and only conclusion is that the car could manage a higher top speed at the end of the straight line of the circuit by 3-4 km/h.

Some photos of that day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also had the opportunity to heat my slick tyres with some electric blankets. So i could go out for a session in the track without the need to bring my tires to proper temperatures. As Mk2 Golfs are really difficult to warm up rear tires (due to axle beam), electric blankets really helped the rear to be more stable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best lap time in this circuit was 1.24.5sec. Tarmac surface temperature was 18C then. Despite the fact that tires were on right temps due to electric blankets i couldn't lap the car better than 1.25.5 due to tarmac surface temp of 35C.

Here is a video of that lap:
    [video=youtube;5pzLEzeaRN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzLEzeaRN8[/video]

nut 20v likes this.
  17. mk2sp Forum Member

Here is a photo that i really like:

[​IMG]

blis, afbiker02, Nige and 1 other person like this.
  18. bobby_ New Member

[​IMG]

this is mine ....... the picture is from Motorpark Romania....

2000cc ITB 170whp 165nm....

i wonder what is the difference betwin normal MK2 geometry and this wide track.....
    and how did you solve problem with driveshafts..... custom made or..?

19. bobby_ New Member

[video=youtube;TFgM2UFYrTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFgM2UFYrTU[/video]

This is our local track..... "Dracon" Kaloianovo vilige

20. skywalker38 Forum Member

You got a lovely racecar:thumbup:
    First time i see your topic,because of searching through Google for mk2's with 9x17 wheels are they et30?