Need a mk1 car cover???

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Gareth83, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

My garage is being repaired over the next few weeks and seeing as I have no tail lights on the mk1 and it now needs to go on the drive I need to keep it dry.

Any suggestions on a cheap car cover suitable for a few weeks that'll cope with this weather??

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Depends on cheap...

80 got a Classic Additions Outdoor Cover Lightweight Size C at the NEC Classic back in 2005. Fits a Mk1, a little baggy, but has proper straps etc to make sure it stays on. Size below I think was Caterfield size, but worth checking.

They'll doubtless be at Autosport this weekend, and that price was a show price where they don't charge VAT.

3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

just looked on the site very expensive!!

I was thinking more along the lines of argos, halfords, eBay. it's just for about 4 weeks

4. 13"rims Forum Member

my dad works in a car spares place so i got mine for free, its one of those grey things that u pull over the whole car, seems to work alright

5. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

Halfords used to do a medium size car plastic cover I used for the cabrio. Lasted a couple of years before the plastic perished. Only snag with it was the condensation under the cover, but as long as I took it off when it was windy or sunny, it seemed to reduce the damp. No idea if they do them now, I've gone for more expensive ones as I lay the cars up for longer periods!

Al

6. jdn

jdn Forum Member

cover

had the halfords one ,wasnt the best didnt keep mine dry

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Ive got a Maypole one, in medium which just about fits my mk2. Cost me 21.99 from my local car parts store.

8. slippy Forum Member

Halfords do a super quality range, not their own make!!!

I paid 65, its triple layered, very weatherproof, cotton lining, scratch resistant, and comes with bungees its fantastic especially in these recent storms.

Worth the money, the cheap ones are total false economy!!!!!!!!

9. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

I've heard of the Halfords ones, but my local store never seems to have any in stock. Will have to venture further afield and try a bigger store. They do sound the nuts ;)

Al

10. gary wigg

gary wigg Forum Member

argos heavy duty 25 or deluxe breathable 35.

11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

have you actually got experience with these or are you just putting ideas into the mixer? Argos or Halfords was teh first place I thought of[:$]

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

On the 'get what you pays for point', there's always some truth. Proper ones will breathe, so it's a case of deciding whether you want condensation accumulating under it, well at least to what extent.

13. gary wigg

gary wigg Forum Member

the one at 35 is a breathable one so no worries on the condensation money well spent and the heavy duty for 25 will last for a couple of years .if you only want one for four weeks get a piece of old plastic sheet and some bricks.

14. tunoz New Member

Your car is my most personalized expensive possessions. you have a personal attachment to it. Just as you take extra care to keep your external look, attractive, fresh and appealing, you have the same attitude towards your car.

But since your car is always exposed to external environment, it is vulnerable to dusting and theft. so car cover is most important for your cars. i found a website here you can chose indoor car cover, Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Mine is a halfords one with 4 vents all seasons.around £50 seems fairly decent
    Although had a couple of small leaks on stitching.a bit dissapointing but better than the elements.