Need help finding a part?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Liam Lowe, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Liam Lowe New Member

Hi so I have recently diagnosed my car with a cv joint problem (I think) when I accelerate a clunking sound starts and gets quicker but only when my foot is on the accelerator, I’ve done the steering test and it doesn’t make the noise. Its just when I’m accelerating. This Has led me to believe it is the inner cv joint? At this point I’m unsure what part I need I have a mk2 golf with a 2l mk3 abf engine, could anyone tell me otherwise about my conclusion of the problem or post a link to a new inner joint that would fit my car? Thanks a lot.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You’ll need a 100mm inner CV. Providing it has either a 1.8 8v/16v mk2 gearbox or the 02a/j swap.

a decent brand, it’s not a job you want to be doing again! and possible replace the bolts whilst you’re there. They’re only a tenner or so

3. Liam Lowe New Member

Hi thanks for your help, it has a mk3 engine gearbox 16v as far as I’m aware, what is the 02a/j swap (I didn’t carry out the swap myself). Thanks

4. Savagesam

If it has the mk3 gearbox, then it’ll be 02a. So either hydraulic clutch or the adapter fitted so it’s cable. It’s cable shift rather than rod shift. But the 02a stuff tends to be a bit sloppy so people swap it out for then 02j stuff from the mk4, you can fit the tower into an 02a so you don’t need to swap the box.

5. Liam Lowe New Member

So I would have to buy and 02j inner cv joint for mk3 engine?

6. Savagesam

No, a 100mm mk2/mk3 CV will be fine.

The driveshafts don’t need to be changed so you can use mk2 stuff for that.

7. Liam Lowe New Member

Okay thanks, that’s another question I have if it worth replacing the whole driveshaft if both ends need replacing?

8. Savagesam

If you can get a decent one. The CV’s on the cheap ones tend to be a bit rubbish. May as well buy decent ones and keep it OE

9. Liam Lowe New Member

10. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member