Need help getting 1.6 Driver started

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Grrrumple, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Grrrumple New Member

Hi All,

What's the best way to get some help with getting my old Driver started? Is it best to just contact local garages or mobile mechanics?

I've replaced all fluids, put a new battery in, and checked the belt tension etc...

Managed to get it started for about 30 seconds (after priming the carb with some petrol), but it doesn't want to start again. Not sure why it would start temporarily then not at all...

I just need someone that knows about carb engines to give it a couple of hours attention so I can try to sell it as a car that actually runs (even if not totally road worthy).

Kinda stressed and just had enough of it now tbh...

Any advice much appreciated :thumbup:

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Is the mechanical pump pumping fuel?
    Take the hose from pump to carb off and turn it over and try and see if pumps out (obviously into a receptacle)
    Remove the coil to dizzy main ht lead too so it doesn't start, carefully put out of way so doesn't spark to earth, best to disconnect coil actually.
    May have a pump about if needed.

Grrrumple likes this.
  3. Grrrumple New Member

Thanks for that. It's definitely pulling fuel through to the in-line filter, but I haven't checked from pump to carb.

I'll try this out and update [:D]

dodgy likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if adding more fuel to carby gets it to fire yeah look at fuel supply. if the fuel lines are old maybe they've broken down inside, even if not you'll want to rplace them all with top quality ethanol resistant stuff. you have a mix of 5.5 and 7mm i/d hose in a carb

Grrrumple likes this.
  5. Grrrumple New Member

Thanks for that.

I'll see if the pump is working at all first, then sort out the hoses if needed.

6. Grrrumple New Member

OK, the pump is definitely still working and the fuel hose to the carb had fuel in when I removed it.

So I'm guessing the issue is with the carb? It's been sat getting crusty for many years...

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is it the original 2e2 or a replacement weber? can you get it going again with more fuel/easy start sprayed down it?