New consumer unit, sockets and lights into garage?

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by 1990, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Is each cable 10mm or are the 3 10mm combined?

2. Bruce T Forum Member

Each conductor has a cross sectional area (csa) of 10mm[SUP]2[/SUP] so the cable you're looking at has 3 cores/conductors of 10mm[SUP]2[/SUP]

1990 likes this.
  3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Just a couple of random things. Firstly take note of the electrical warning tape you need that Bruce mentioned. You need to lay this into the ground above the SWA. I had to run around a bit to find someone who could supply this, so get it in advance.

In the CU in my garage I fitted type C MCBs rather than the normal type B for the sockets. This was to solve unwanted tripping that would occur when MIG welding with high arc currents.

I installed a 16A socket off a separate MCB. This is useful if you have gear that uses them. Mine was installed near the workbench for my TIG machine.

As Bruce does, I highly advise getting an electrician to at least do the SWA connection from house to garage and to install the CU. That's what I did, so that I ended up with a CU in the garage that was ready to go, and then I just wired up everything actually in the garage.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    1990 likes this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi there,

The guys above are absolutely correct regarding the installation of underground SWA, using 10mm will give approx. 50A current carrying capacity which should be more than enough for a standard garage/workshop arrangement.

Installing a 4/5 core SWA isn't really of any use unless you intend to start utilising 3-Phase equipment and already have a such a supply available in the first place and I am presuming you don't.

As they stated above it is critical to utilise electrical marking tape and also to use a layer of sand around the cable and duct before covering it with the backfill again - this gives it maximum protection from any form of mechanical damage.

Again I would echo what the chaps say about getting a qualified and registered electrician to sign off and test the work - you can tell a lot about an electrical installation when you carry out insulation resistance, loop impedance tests etc.. and with the best will in the world a non-qualified person may miss something.

That's my tuppence worth.

1990 likes this.
  5. 1990

Cheers guys :thumbup:

I'll get the guy who rewired the house to make the connections. We have the warning tape at work, I actually came across some green warning tape at work today 'warning fibre' was written on it and there was a ducting under that about 10" deep.
    [​IMG]

6. 1990

My local place want 87.72inc VAT for 17mtrs.

To buy off eBay is 54 delivered :(

This is the stuff: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191024014608?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Any good? Any idea why it's purple rather than black?

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I have never encountered SWA cable with a purple outer sheath to be honest - the only reason I can think of is if the outer sheath is specifically LSZH (Low Smoke Zero Halogen) and has been coloured purple to reflect that.

That said any LSZH I encountered was black anyway so I am still none the wiser....[:s]

It may well be OK but frankly for the sake of 30 quid I would get it from the wholesaler and just not take any chances.

8. Bruce T Forum Member

Agreed. No idea on the purple :s