New crank seal leaking after 1000 miles

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mrglee, Oct 28, 2022.

1. mrglee Forum Member

So fitted a new crank seal housing (fai PTFE) gearbox side crank was cleaned of all oil and fitted with the protective insert engine was not rotated for a week and was nice to see for the first time no oil round the bottom of the gearbox for a while but now leaking worse than the old seal just a bad seal or did I get something wrong?.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Did it definitely go in square and flush?

3. mrglee Forum Member

Can't be absolutely sure as turned into a rushed job I may have damaged it when fitting will have a other go when I have a bit more time and get it right.

4. watercooled Forum Member

Few things come to mind ,did you put a new gasket under the seal carrier ?,did you locate the seal carrier exactly on the locating dowels ?,did you check that the crank wasn't too worn where the old seal was running ? .
    Reason for me asking as my ABF donor motor was a real mess in this area,the seal carrier had been bashed on and so the new seal wasn't concentric to the crank so the wear groove in the crank was really bad.
    Managed to repair the carrier fit on the block and found a seal that had a 3.5mm differance in the position of the seal lip so was able to avoid the crank wear issue ,this seal was expensive and hard to find but has remained dry so far since I did the clutch.
    Good luck ,cheers.

5. mrglee Forum Member

The seal carrier had a rubber seal on the back so didn't use a gasket the seal I did rotate a little to get it lined up but sat square on the dowels the crankshaft other than cleaned didn't check anything will give it a closer look next time.