New Polo GTI

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Deako, May 28, 2010.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Nice! The lupo GTI had a battery in the boot. I guess it's a can of gunk if you get a puncture?

2. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Congrats.
    I agree it will look nicer with a new set of shoes, but... LM Replicas?!
    Replicas on a brand new (18k?) car is just wrong.
    TD Pro Races in Black have become very boy-racer now, and tbh if I see them on a non-Track car with 'normal' tyres, I think it looks a bit chav.
    gillm got the look right with his Compomotives, but it sounds like he had offset issues or some other rub problem. Shame, they looked ace...

[​IMG]

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Matt has LM replicas above. There are some pretty good quality ones out now.

Finichi do some with replaceable studs in any colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TDs would look great. But agree, they have been put on a lot of chavy cars. They could look very good though. Hard decision.

Getting the look right will be hard. I think. :(

I'd like some of the 18" version of the Monza Shadows that they had on at Geneva/Worthersee. If only the Golf & Polo were the same fitment.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Matt, the Lupo didnt really have a boot at all. The Polo has enough space for a space saver on top of the battery.

5. rob p

rob p New Member

Nice looking car,have you seen the report in this months top gear mag thay compare it to the mk1 golf,I think the revo remap is the way forward(i work opposite them so i get to see the new cars going in and out (new ibiza way before it was official!!!!)i currentley have a 07 polo gti 1.8t with a revo remap and on the rolling road it was nearley 225bhp &215lbsft of torque at gti international it did 0-60 in 6.8secs &the quarter mile in 15.4 with me and the wife in it, its the most fun you can have with your trousers on!!!! and deafanatley surprises a few so called fast cars ,id also recomened a rear antiroll bar when one is available+ebc green stuff pads you can really feal the differance hope you enjoy it

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Good choice ...

7. courtster

courtster New Member

Just ordered me one of these in candy white to replace my ED30 as a company car. The company car/fuel tax is 50% cheaper for almost identical performance. Seems crazy not too..

Should be October delivery. Going to need some new CGTI decals!

8. big_amir New Member

Hi Courtster

have you been given a build date yet. i have had mine on order since end of june and i am still waiting for a build date.

My dealer dropped a hint that he think sit may be the end of the year before i get mine

9. peeves New Member

Here's one for you!

Ordered mine in January, still not had a build date! Good huh?

10. peeves New Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Scrap that guys, just got a text from my boss. Car is built and it will be here in september!!

Ya dancer!

11. courtster

courtster New Member

I got the first delivery date from my lease company today.. 11/11/10. I wonder if I'll see it by Xmas..

I believe all RHD Polos are coming from South Africa nowadays.

Interesting how the Polo GTI and the Fabia vRS are identical on my lease prices even with a 2600 difference.

Tell me if my calculations are correct - The Fabia vRS has 25kg of ballast in the boot to aid weight distribution - the Polo has its 12kg odd battery moved to the boot - same result?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  12. big_amir New Member

Not sure about the weight distribution.

The VW dealer me the GTI's are being built in spain. And that date you have been given is probably the Standard 20 Weeks that VW uk are telling their dealers, but i know for a fact that VW are having difficulty in obtaining supplies on the xenon headlights (as they would not let me order them first) and this is what is holding alot of the cars up.

13. courtster

courtster New Member

I'd be interested to have that confirmed as South Africa produces 100% of the worldwide RHD Polos and 75% of the parts for RHD Polos are made by suppliers in SA. So to change the line at Palmela just to produce 1 sub model in RHD seems like odd business sense. But who knows!

I'd certainly prefer it to be built in Spain - the ship would only take a few days rather than 2 weeks!

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Mine would have had Xenons, but i believe its the DSG gearboxes that are holding up production. My date of September (even though i actually ordered when the order books opened) probably would have ended up being near the end of the year.

The dealer told me that all 5 door Polos are built in South Africa (hence massive delays on 5 door models), but that ALL GTIs were built in Spain alongside the Ibiza. In the same factory.

Needless to say, if VW hadnt dicked around with the release of the Polo GTI i would have been driving one by now. But they lost a sale to French clutter instead. Still seething at the dealerships and VWUKs lack of knowledge around the Polo GTI. Its been a complete mockery.

15. peeves New Member

Hmm?

Then who do I believe? The story I have been told is that the main dealer in Inverness had told my retail dealer that my Polo was built and would arrive next month. Like Deako, I was told end of July a while back.

I remember one of my friends phoning me last November, maybe December telling me to go onto AutoExpress website and check out the "speculated" Polo GTi. I then went to Inverness In January to ask if this was going ahead or not. He had no idea there was even a rumour!!! The salesman took all my details and said he'd phone if there was news. I told them and my retail dealer I wanted one. Asked if they would phone to confirm, make sure I had the first one in the Highland etc etc. I even offered a 1000 cheque to them to make sure I had it Then came VW's big announcement in Feb that it was coming out in August.
    June came and I was getting pretty p****d at the whole matter BUT I was able to order a build. Then when the configurator came out I ordered my spec (not that there is anything exciting). VW told me it wont be built till late October so I should not expect it till late November or early December.
    I spat my dummy out and went to Inverness and in to Renault and was all set to buy a Gordini.
    Like Deako, I got very impatient about it. Only thing is, he had the balls to get the Clio.lol. So now, after reading the forum, I am s******g myslef again [:^(]

How is the car going mate?

16. courtster

courtster New Member

Thanks for the insight Deako.

Sorry to go off topic, but just out of interest, have you heard anything about Renault revising the RS 200 for Euro 5? The Civic Type R is Euro 4 too and will not be able to be sold after the end of the year so they are withdrawing it from sale after then. Surely Renault wont do that as the Clio is an awesome motor and still has a few years before a replacement.

Talking of French clutter - thats what I'm driving now. The ED30 I had went back in June and this was the only thing I could replace it with due to spiralling lease costs:

[​IMG]

I don't really get on with it TBH, but I went in with an open mind. So when my colleague said he'd have it off me so I could choose again I was over the moon!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, i have heard this about the Clio. A new model is due next year i think, but dont expect them to release a new RS version till 2012 at least.

They could start looking at 1.6t units, as per the other manufacturers. I think this is the last model as far as the high revving n/a Clios go.

I do miss my Vdubs though, it really has to be said. But the Clio is immense fun.

18. big_amir New Member

I'm not too fussed about the delivery as my Suzuki swift is still in warranty until the end of the year. The only concern i have is about the VAT rate increasing on 4th January 2011. i have spoken to my dealer about this and he is saying last time when the VAT went up VW paid the difference. so i am hoping for the same. plus if it comes end of year i will probably just get it registered in January so the car will be classed as a 2011 car.

19. peeves New Member

The latest on my car is that the plant in South Africa has went on strike. Still no date!! I am now thinking of going for a Golf GTI with DSG or a Focus ST. I know there are big discounts on ST's and, working for Ford, I should be getting a decent discount. Only snag is I REALLY want the Polo. Couple this with the ST's 5000 insurance and the Golfs 6000 increase in price is it really worth not waiting a few months?? :(

Rock (Me) HardPlace

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You must have the patience of an angel mate. I got fed up at the start of July with nobody able to tell me when my car was likely to go into build, so come October to still be none the wiser, dont know how you have managed.

The Golf GTI would have been my choice, but the cost is just too high. Spec i wanted would have been knocking on 30k, and then i might as well have got a Rocco R.