New Polo GTi.

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by yetizone, Mar 22, 2011.

1. yetizone New Member

Hi all. We are considering buying a new Polo GTi. Very tempted by the attractive performance, styling and economy of course, esp given current fuel prices! From an engineering perspective I'm sure the car will be superb, but as a along term ownership prospect could it be an expensive and complicated car to maintain given that it has both a turbo and supercharger?

I know the old G40 and G60 supercharged VW's benefitted from a regular supercharger rebuild / service to keep them fully up to scratch. I'm just wondering if the new Polo engine is going to be a potential long term money pit once the warranty runs out. Therefore, would a late used MK5 Golf GTi be a better long term prospect?

We tend to keep our cars a long time, so I just wanted to quiz you guys for your thoughts on the new Polo GTi engine.

Any comments most welcome. :)

2. JasonPollock New Member

I read on a VW technical training thing that the charger is sealed for life, it's and Eaton charger popular in the first of the new Mini Cooper S so they seem fairly reliable. Also the Turbo is connected to the water cooling system which pumps water around the turbo for another 15mins after you turn it off if i have read it correctly. So i would think these parts should last well.

I have a Polo GTI and i can highly recommend it, just blows me away each time i drive it. Can't give an accurate idea on fuel economy as i only drive it at the weekends so it's never the most effiecnt driving.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just get it. We ordered one, but were fed up with the delays, so bought a Clio 200 instead. But really wish we had kept the order for the Polo, especially as my mates Ibiza Bocanegra is so outstanding. Sure the Clio is on rails, and the VW wouldnt have handled as well, but the Polo looks superb.

4. BenNevis New Member

Hi guys
    I am also looking for a new GTi Polo - they seem to be as scarce as rocking horse s***
    Anyway - just one question - where have the electric folding wing mirrors gone? They are not even an option[:v:]

5. darrenpolo New Member

I have a new gti in White. Love it. I did a 270 mile journey last night from Sussex to Wales, cruised at about 60 - 70 mph and the journey took just under 5 hours. The range on the MFD says i got 330 miles left! 49 mpg the whole journey!

Amazing

6. BenNevis New Member

Got it - within 2 days

Initially all the dealers with 50 mile radius of N Wales said the spec I wanted (+winter + sensor) would be factory order - so I just left them all with the quest. I also contacted Wolfsburg to see if they could track one down.

Anyway within 24 hours lo & behold Wirral came up trumps - they 'found' one with not only the spec I wanted but more as well. Apparently someone has ordered it but then could not finance it - sorry whoever you were - your loss my gain. Dave Grewcock there was absolutely brilliant - I have no hesitation in recommending them (unlike 2 other local dealers also beginning with W).

I have just completed the first 500 miles on Shell V power and it has returned 47.9 mpg - although I have not really given it any 'welly' yet. I will let you know what its like when its got a couple of ,000 miles on the clock.

So - for anyone considering it - go for it - don't be put off with the long lead times - just be patient and do a bit of 'seek & thou shall find'. This was an alternative to the Golf GTi which is now way over-price; and I am not disappointed at all.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  7. Stiggy New Member

I've just been through the same process trying to find a Polo GTI. The lead times were quoted as 4-6 months. Apparently this is all Polo's, not just GTIs.

Anyway, a bit of hunting found me a white 5-door (I wanted a 5-door) at a good price. I pick it up next week!

8. Louisv6 New Member

We got a Fabia VRS (same car, less sound deadening, cheaper plastics).

The engine is superb, the DSG is superb, and on my country road commute, I generally see 42mpg, and when being extra careful have even had up to 51mpg.

Motorway trips (due to the higher speed) tend to be max. 46mpg in my experience.

Driving hard, you'll see mid 20s.

Delays on the engine+gearbox combo mean that whether you go Audi, VW, Seat, or Skoda, you'll be in for a long wait - but it's worth it ;)