New race car: Mk3 Audi TTS

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Feb 25, 2018.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Pads arrived, first set of their type for 8S TTS

[​IMG]

Have ordered some anti-squeal stick-on pads to go on them too to try and stop too much noise before it starts.

Will get em fitted soon and see how they go.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Good day yesterday at Scammonden Dam hillclimb, on the top of the Pennines on the M62 near Huddesfield. Track is run by Mid Cheshire Motor Racing Club:

http://mcmrc.co.uk/

Now we dont usually go in for hillclimbs these days, preferring sprints on bigger tracks, but I fancied going back there 15 yrs or so on from the last visit with my Ibiza in an early state of development. As I recall it rained, and on Pirelli P6000 road tyres I did a high 29 sec run.

Its a very attractive location sitting alongside the big reservoir dam below the M62. Its also an incredibly technical little course with an uphill starting ramp and some 90-degree plus uphill off camber grassy leafy corners . Map below (pin-up inside signing on van).

[​IMG]

Paddock was very low key with someones nans camper as the buttie and tea van, and signing on in the back of a big transit van. No hard standing so if it rains hard, you park in the field and mud. Something like 50 entries which was unusually high no doubt helped by the dry weather before hand and promised on the day. One of the regulars told me that in rubbish weather, there has been as few as 15 cars entered.

So with a big entry list, we were in 1E as usual (road modified sportscars over 2L), along with a 2L supercharged Mazda MX5. Chap won the class at last visit so some tough competition.

Times to aim for:
    1E record, Porsche Boxster S, 27.19
    1D record, Honda S2000, 27.12
    1C record, Mitsi Evo, 27.25
    Chap in MX5 who won 1E at event last year, 28.64, which was 10th overall

The event is run by going down the hill in batches of about 20 cars since thats about all that can fit in the flat ground at the bottom of the hill.

Times are 64ft, sector 2, sector 3, finish

P1, 3.14, 15.95, 10.95, 30.04
    Horrible, all over the place, wrong lines, wrong gears, hey ho.....think......

P2, 3.12, 14.90, 11.23, 29.25
    Horrible again, crap start, and messed up the top bend turn in. Issue with the start is that there is not enough room for a full blown launch as you would be straight into the bank ahead. Hmm.

T1, 2.99, 14.75, 10.32, 28.06
    More like it, still poor start but top section much better. Learning.

LUNCH. Sat quiet and thought it all over. Recalled reading on Revo website that Stage3 software has facility to do a 3500rpm launch rather than full blown. Will try that.

T2, 2.61, 14.65, 10.14, 27.40
    Better. Better start and top section going well. Still lots to do in bottom section.

T3, 2.51, 14.43, 10.02, 26.96
    Better again, and a new 1E Class Record
    Still more time to be had out of lower section but its so damn tight, windy, and close to barriers that start to think about backing off a bit for today...

T4 slower, messing about.

Full timings and results here: http://www.timeteamtiming.co.uk/Event-Results-and-Reports/

So that ended up as a Class Record, and a Class win, beating MX5 on a best of 27.80. Not bad at all given a 15 year sabbatical and it really not suiting a big heavy powerful car like the TT.

Pics below:

Scammonden Dam and M62
    [​IMG]

Nice view off top of Pennines
    [​IMG]

Proper Grassroots Motorsport
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caterfields out to play
    [​IMG]

Nice Mazda 323, 3C Modprod car, very light circa 1000kg, 4wd, big turbo motor, sticky Avons, very nice prep

[​IMG]

Spoox Motorsport absolutely immaculate Pug 205 with Mi16 lump
    [​IMG]

Not competing, but quite rare, spectator Polestar Volvo
    [​IMG]

So enjoyed the day out, something a bit different. Its also important that we support these types of venues as once lost, its unlikely they will be found again.

Leaving thought is that the outright hill record has stood since 29th June 1975, when a certain Mr Roy Lane took his Chevrolet Mcrae GM1 up that steep piece of winding tarmac in a quite staggering 21.97 seconds. I’m told that back then the tarmac was a bit better, and the whole course not quite so overgrown, but nontheless thats just staggering. On 1970s rubber too.....Now it has to be said that Mr Lane was no mug and became British Hillclimb Champ 4x, amassing 90 event victories in the process. Bravo Sir!

Ave IT!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    sports racer, GVK and Toyotec like this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

IE class record in OEM++ AWD shopping trolly. I am sure Mr Lane would have thought it would not be possible back then.

Well done!

RobT likes this.
  4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Ace stuff Rob!

Ave it indeed!

RobT likes this.
  5. jamesa Forum Junkie

:clap:

" It`s also important that we support these types of venues as once lost, its unlikely they will be found again." .....
    so true !

Always fancied this event back in the day ..... closest I got was Three Sisters for the sprints.

RobT likes this.
  6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

On hols next week so nice list of upgrades for TT. This arrived yesterday from RevoKev, its a Milltek center box (resonator) delete, thinking being it will save a few kgs and also make the car sound a bit more fruity. The resonator system is a bit quiet for what I need. Its probably fine if you spend a lot of time on motorways etc, but I dont in this car, so lets see what it sounds like with this on it :) Its decent bore pipe that is! I think the extra connector is if you are connecting to a std TT rear box, which I’m not.

[​IMG]

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Full driveline fluids service complete, all with oem VAG fluids

DSG gearbox fluid and filter
    Transfer box oil
    Rear haldex fluid including pump removal for thorough clean
    Rear diff oil

Thinking to do this once a season to keep everything pukka. Car has 20K ish miles from new so well within VAG service intervals but all fluids were pretty crappy.

Bedded Carbotech pads in late last night when roads were a bit empty.
    50 miles of commuter type use just to remove the silver/zinc shipping coating from the new disks (wouldnt be needed if you were reusing disks)
    2x moderate stops 30 to 10mph to warm brakes
    4x hard stops 70 to 10mph with 30secs between them
    4x very hard stops 70 to 10mph with 60secs between them
    15 miles fast road driving, light use last mile to cool.
    Overnight cool off.

Test today. Instructions say above sequence may need repeating.

Milltek resonator delete fitted, sounds great IMO, lots more throaty with an ace ‘crack’ sound now when changing up a gear. Not sure you would want this on a daily driver but for a toy its good fun.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Toyotec likes this.
  8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Last event at Aintree for 2018 on Sat and we finished with another win, and because of a large class entry, a pile of points.

Yet again, fastest 64ft time of the event with 1.95 secs :)

Carbotech pads were ace, so much so that I found myself braking too early, so a brain adjustment needed to take advantage of the new stopping power. Loads of dust from these ceramic pads, down both sides of car and front wheels were plastered, but no iron and the dust washes off easily with with water. A bit of squeal on the road but not enough to bother me.

TTS needs to run with more than half a tank of fuel if you are running sticky tyres - got fuel starvation a couple of times which I initially thought was timing being pulled due to heat, but it went away with some more fuel in the tank. Three quarters would be safe for future note. Also tried throwing some cups of cold water at the front of the car after a run to cool the intercooler down - again, good move....that will become standard practice from now on and cheaper than an onboard water or cryo spray system. And good enough for 100 second runs.

Also got a new gearchange strategy which finally works for how I want to drive. And I can do reproducibly without making mistakes. This was a big step forwards.

Results aren't out yet but got to within one hundredth of my own 1E class record, on what was an overall slow day, where I don't think any records fell. Definitely another half second in the car, but that will have to wait till next year now, with a new set of tyres.

Its all shaping up nicely for both Liverpool and ANWCC championships :)

EDIT: Results now on Resultsman http://resultsman.co.uk/LiveTiming/...sman&EventID=1174&Mode=0&Trap=3&GroupID=23406

EDIT: Liverpool MC Results http://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/2018/09/03/results-and-report-for-the-sept-2018-aintree-sprint/

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Good update Rob. Interesting to hear that about the pads.
    Also I wasn't expecting it to suffer from fuel starvation, goes to show how much grip it generates.

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

That's soft Toyo's for ya. The symptom is that the engine stops pulling, like timing being pulled. Only happens when at half a tank. One mark above on the fuel gauge it doesn't happen, so a couple of marks will be good, and 3/4 tank would be super safe. To be fair the Revo lads did warn me of this.

Apparently these engines have good sumps with no reported issues with oil surge even when on slicks. But I run it to the top of the dipstick mark just to be safe. Even at this level no significant amount of oil comes out into the breather catch tank I have. Maybe 5mL of water from an event, but not much oil at all. I think that's more of an issue with heavy braking which you only really get up to on big circuits with big brake kits and hot slicks.

Toyo R888R GG on a heavy car like TTS really need some management to get the best out of them. Its really easy to overheat them and then the grip is just gone. They are better on a cold day and regardless of what I have read on the internet, on a 4wd TT, they are fine in the wet. They will end up lasting a whole season though which isn't bad on a heavy powerful car. Have been carefully rotated to make them wear evenly. Scrap after October unless anyone wants a set for trackdaying.

They now make them in 19" so I may try those next year, since my 19" wheels are lighter than the 18s I have.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  11. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

Strange that you need to keep above half a tank of fuel to avoid surge issues in the corners. Had a quick look at the pump 5Q0919087H
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENU...-R-2-0-IN-TANK-FUEL-PUMP-SENDER/253437593416?
    Looks similar to any normal fuel pump arrangement but there doesn't appear to be a return pipe to the pump canister. There is a barb on top of the fuel pump but it looks to just be a plastic moulding with no hole in it. Normally a good proportion of the fuel pumped is recirculated back into the pot. The pot is also open on the top where most tend to be closed.
    Seems a bit daft that to guarantee reliable operation you really need to be dragging 3/4 of a tank of fuel around. Especially when you are only sprinting.

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+tt+tts+coupe+roadster/att/2016-850/9/919-919035/#2

Maybe the fuel is returned to the tank in a separate location as it may be hot and they don't want to get the fuel too hot in the pot.Looking at the fuel tank looks like the return breather line doesn't goto the pot.
    https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+tt+tts+coupe+roadster/att/2016-850/2/201-201025/

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Seems strange? I don't get what you mean. That's how it is. I put more fuel in and it went away. Maybe you should try and sit in with me round a proper fast bend and see then if you think its strange.....the Revo lads have also seen it in their Golf R demo car. I also used to get it in my Ibiza when it had a standard tank before I fitted a swirl pot. I don't think its uncommon at all. Its will be worse round fast right handers as the pickup is behind the driver.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  13. Yoof Forum Member

It will be a return-less fuel system, if you're able to log low pressure fuel pump duty on VAGCOM, you'll see duty rise and fuel pressure fall as it tries to achieve target.

Very impressive Rob - goes to show what a few choice modifications to a capable base car and a decent pilot can do :thumbup:

14. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

The pump has a pick up both sides of the tank. The two hoses out the bottom of the pump connect to a suction jet pick up on the other side of the tank I believe. Probably doesn't pull enough fuel across from this pick up to satisfy the requirements of the engine though. It's main purpose is to scavenge fuel from the passenger side of the tank that won't cross the hump in the floor of the tank. I was just surprised at the amount of fuel that you needed to avoid having issues. But as you say with the amount of G the car will pull in a long fast corner all the fuel will end up on the one side of the tank. Good job the car seems to be well quicker than the opposition so carrying a bit of extra weight is not an issue.

15. Yoof Forum Member

It will be a return-less fuel system, if you're able to log low pressure fuel pump duty on VAGCOM, you'll see duty rise and fuel pressure fall as it tries to achieve target.

Very impressive Rob - goes to show what a few choice modifications to a capable base car and a decent pilot can do :thumbup:

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Thing with cars is that most of us are not Lewis Hamilton, despite what we think, and a lot of the time in the UK its damp and cold. I have no doubt that there are quicker cars than the TTS that would fit in the Class, but to extract that speed, you have to be a real 'hand'. And it needs to be warm and dry. Most people are not hands. Myself included. I've sat in with a few pro drivers and they are on another level. But the TT has accessible speed for the average chap, that can be extracted in all conditions, and in sprinting that counts for a lot.

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

If it has a pickup both sides of the tank, there isn't much volume flow through the pipe on the LHS. 500hp on full chat needs a fair drop I would imagine. It doesn't need 3/4 tank, but it needs more than half a tank. Some packing balls in the tank would be a good idea but then the level senders don't work anymore.

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Last races of year were weekend 6/7th October when Longton and District Car Club hosted the finale of the British Sprint Champs at Anglesey. Sat was one lap of the National Circuit, and Sunday the most excellent International GP circuit.

Back in April, the first day was wet so there was still the National Circuit Class Record there for the taking, but we had already taken the International Circuit record back in April.

Weather forecast was dry but very windy.

Had a double driven Boxster in with us on Sat, but unfortunately alone in class on Sun.

Previous best in wet for Sat 65.67, Class Record Mazda MX5 1800S 63.15.

P1 - give it some stick straight out of the box, 59.10, smashed the CR by 4 seconds
    P2 - 59.01, better
    T1 - messed up the start somehow and bogged the car, lost loads of time but made lots back later in lap, 59.44
    T2 - Launch control, 58.54, good committed run. New CR and PB, and fastest 64ft time of the whole day (including the big BSC cars) with 2.14 secs.

Best driver in Boxster recorded a 67.61.

End of Day 1 as needed to have a good second day to score for various championships.

Day 2 was alone in class but still had PB to have another go at. PB from May MGCC event was 97.64, and we already had the LDCC Class Record with a 100.52.

P1 - 100.01, nice and steady, new LDCC CR
    P2 - 98.07, better, new LDCC CR
    T1 - went for it but didn't use launch control, 97.53, new PB and new LDCC CR.
    T2 - messing about now, 98.04
    T3 - messing about again, ACDC playing, 99.95

So 2 wins, several Class Records, and 2 PBs. Job done.

Will post some notes and photos up later but that's the end of the race year folks.

We appear to have won the ANWCC Sprint Champs overall, and come second overall in the ANWCC Combined Sprint and Hillclimb Champs (which I am amazed at since we only did one hillclimb at Scammonden).

http://www.anwcc.co.uk/

http://www.anwcc.co.uk/ch18-sp.pdf

We also appear to have come second overall in the Liverpool Speed Championships.

http://www.speedchampionship.com/

http://www.speedchampionship.com/wp-content/uploads/2018-Speed-Championship-Provisional-Results.pdf

Both of which I think is a good achievement with the car in its first year of competition. The TT has been remarkably competitive and has done the whole year unbeaten, along with setting Class Records at every circuit and layout visited - some that I think will stand for a very long time. The reason we didn't win the Liverpool Champs as well was just related to the way the scoring works and not being able to score lots of points unless there are many cars in class on the day. There is no way to predict who is going to turn up as historical data is no reliable guide to the future. In previous years 511 points would have won it outright but this year Dave Tatham has scored really well also with his 1L OMS single seater, and has had more people in class to enable more maximum scores. Ce la vie. Well done to him. The car is now absolutely on the money, brakes worked perfectly at Anglesey and are up to the job of sprinting.

So some exciting plans now for the winter.

Ave it

Rob

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  19. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tent isnt normally like that, its the Anglesey ‘breeze’...it broke the tent poles!

[​IMG]
    John Graham, Gould GR55B NME 3.5. 3rd overall in BSC 2018.

[​IMG]
    And with Blue Thunder. Reliant Scimitar mod prod with some type of 2L turbo in it.

[​IMG]
    Terry Holmes Lola Tegra Judd 3.5. 4th overall in BSC 2018.

[​IMG]
    Steve Broughton of SBD Motorsport, Dallara F301 with a highly developed 2L Vauxhall Redtop.

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

[​IMG]
    Steve Miles, Van Diemen RF96MM, 2L, aero developed by Oxford Uni

[​IMG]
    Nick Algar, DJ Firehawk 1300 supercharged busa on methanol

[​IMG]
    Graham Blackwell, Mygale Formula Ford 1600 Ecoboost, with lots more aeto added for sprinting.

[​IMG]
    Chris Jones, Force TA with 1L bike engine. Awesome thing. Totally flat through Church. Came 5th on Sunday. In a 1L car.....

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Toyotec and Sirguydo like this.