New to VW with a $500 MK2

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Joe Tuesday, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Joe Tuesday New Member

Hello! Last week I bought an '85 mk2 for $500! This is my first VW but not my first project. However, I've always been more of a "truck guy" so this should be a fun learning experience.

I bought the car with the intention of goofing off on Forest Service roads up here in the mountains in north idaho. I was originally looking for a Subaru for the awd, but when I saw this lovely hunk of junk I had to have it.

I know very little about the car, the previous owner admitted he bought it as is and knows little to nothing about cars. He said it has an 2L ABA swap, but no additional information about the drivetrain. The suspension has been "lowered" in the front, but I haven't dug in to see how exactly that was accomplished. There has also been a "5 lug conversion" which, again, not sure if this had been done correctly or hacked in.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the car and sharing the adventure with everyone here. If anyone has some pointers on things I may not think to look for, I encourage you to scold me for not thinking of it myself!

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Cool! Sounds like someone has already invested some time and money in it!

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello & welcome - send a few pics of the car if you can

4. Joe Tuesday New Member

I tried to attach a picture I had uploaded to imgur. But that didn't seem to work.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

get over 10 posts and you can upload pictures :)