No noise from fuel pump, can’t start engine

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Nov 19, 2022.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Another electrical gremlin is messing with my car.

I was changing bulb for right hand main beam, when I went to check if it worked - the engine wouldn’t start. I’ve checked all fuses and nothing blown. The fuel pump is not making any noise now so I’m assuming that’s the problem. I used to hear pump kick in before firing engine and it’s silent now. Fuel pump fuse has not blown.

ps. The RH main beam still does not work. I’ve tried it with LH bulb and still nothing.

Any help much appreciated

Paul

2. paulm2322

Lights on dash illuminate, starter motor turns but engine won’t fire. No smell of fuel and like I say, no fuel pump prime noise. It has mystified me. Could I have knocked a wire in engine bay that might have caused problem?

3. paulm2322

Just gone back to car and it started first time! I’m perplexed. Fuel pump primed too. Sure this car has got a mind of its own!!

4. Adamss24 Forum Member

Check ignition switch, fuel pump relay or loose connections if it does it again !

paulm2322 likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Have you swapped out the fuel pump relay or put a jumper wire into the fuse board ?,also worth checking the wires on the pump as they are prone to corrosion if the rubber boots are split or missing,@ the same time you could test it with some wires direct to the pump from a battery.
    If you have a good constant 12v supply to the pump it should be fine or perhaps your pump is on the way out,if it is making a lot of noise when running thats a fair indicator of a pending failure if your fuel filter is ok ?.
    Keep checking ,sure you will find the cause.cheers.