noisy polo gti gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 6N-POLOGTI, Feb 14, 2005.

1. 6N-POLOGTI New Member

I have recently bought a y reg polo gti, after a couple of days driving the gearbox has become rather noisy when its running on the backlash, the car has only got 24000 miles on it! has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?:(

2. Neiler New Member

I think thats one of their weak spots mate, that and the peddles. Dealer should be aware of the problem.
    Edited by: Neiler

3. The Pig Forum Member

Should last considerably more than 24K though. Check it's got oil in it and no gearbox oil leaks.

If you've only had it a couple of days there was a problem with it when you bought it, so take it back unless you bought it privately.

4. hayesey Forum Junkie

yeah it's a weak point of mk5 Polo GTIs. So is the pedal box which was recalled by VW a while ago. Many had new gearboxes while still under warrenty as well.

Check the oil etc... but unfortunately I think you're on the long road to a hefty repair bill. [8(]

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

m8's R reg 1.4 had the same thing at 65K.

6. 6N-POLOGTI New Member

the hefty repair bill i am now facing!!!! 1300 for the gearbox alone from vw, or about 900 for a local firm to recon mine! shocking. cant find them in breakers yards either, or they wont tell me if they've got one because i dont know the gearbox code! Its a shame its still not under warranty, a car with that sort of mileage shouldn't have problems anyway.[:x]:o:thumbd:

7. sportline Forum Junkie

Yup a serious weak spot on the polos. my girlfreinds t reg 16v went after 38k and with a full service and its currently back at the garage with 42k on as its whining again. basically a pooe design thats stems back to the mk1 polo, fine on the smaller engines but when you start putting power through them there buggered. apparently the diesels are the worst.
    we got ours rebuilt for 295 quid so shop around.

8. mark25 Forum Junkie

does that mean the 1.6 models are better?

9. amstrange1 Forum Member

The Mk4/5 Polo gearboxes are a slightly different design to the earlier boxes, so may be weaker than earlier ones? The older Mk3 Polo boxes for example seem to last up to 100k miles worth of abuse in G40s before needing attention.

My bro mentioned to me earlier that he'd seen a 6N2 GTI with a Mk3 Polo 'box on, which may provide a cheaper option for you. I know the 6N 'boxes fit the Mk3 Polo okay - so maybe the opposite is true?

10. 6N-POLOGTI New Member

i found a place that will rebuild my gearbox for 240 luckily, thats if only the shaft bearings have gone, the car still drives but whines unbearably so they expect that it is only the bearings, if it was completely goosed and wouldn't drive they said the crown ring and pinion would have gone in the diff and this would be very expensive, like 8-900quid,so i guess i better stop driving it before this happens!!!!!!!

11. amstrange1 Forum Member

I hope you get it sorted then! I'm not sure whether you've already contacted them, but JP Race -http://www.jprace.co.uk/have rebuilta fair few people's G40 gearboxes, so might be able to help.

12. Alex Dubstar New Member

hi, ive just got my 1.6 gti polo after having mk3 golfs for so long fancy'd a change. have i made a mistake getting a polo after reading all this cause im having the same problems.
    isnt there any other gearbox from any other vag that would fit and do a better job?

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just about every Polo from that era will have or has had the same issue, I`m afraid.

Re-build with better bearings is the only real solution...

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres a smallblock bellhousing 020 box though isnt there, or is that what the polo gti has...

15. StuMc

I think that is the one that goes pop...

My Polo (1.4 CL) had one, and it went t*ts upwards.

16. rubjonny

oh? i thought it was the 085 based ones that died

17. StuMc

Ah...might have been...

The 085 has the same green end-cap as an 020 doesn`t it?

18. rubjonny

no the 085 is the smallyblock gearbox like on the mk1/2 1.0-1.3, it has the bigger end cap like the 02a boxes. the 020 based one i was on aboot earlier has the green endcap, i.e. its the same box in mk1/2 1.5-1.8, but with a different bellhousing so it fits the smallblock engine.

if that makes sence :lol:

iz 02k :thumbup:
    http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=218706

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  19. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

JUst rebuilt one, for a Lupo. Its a funny design compared to an 020. The 020 has a hefty pair of taper rollers nicely clamped directly around what I imagine is one of the highest stress areas, the final drive pinion. The polo et all don't have this. The taper rollers are either end of the mainshaft train. The casing is aluminium, so thermal expansion will vary the taper roller preload (ie >> steels expansion rate). Noise could be one of the taper rollers breaking up. Mine was. Repair bill was small, diy job. Done a couple of thousand miles since, no probs.

20. StuMc

02K it was then, since it had the green end-cap. :thumbup: