Non Starter, 17925 - Power Supply Relay for ECU

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mat-mk3, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Yes the MIL will be on Key On Engine Running ( if it were connected) as the ECU will think the coil pack, injectors and so on are not powered with the lack of feedback or current draw on pin T121/23

MIL connection described in the last column but not required as you say.

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

So, Swapped the pin on the T14a and i think the injectors are firing now. I can smell it but they are not soaking, Should they be? The fuel pump is working on cranking as i can hear it sticking my head under the car.

Im only left with no spark now. I have pulled a plug out and put it near something metal and get no spark on cranking.
    I have 12V to T2/1, This drops slightly when cranking to 9-10v. I have this connection going to G1/10.

Obviously i still have the error, But why is it not firing. Could the error be the problem?

3. mat-mk3

Ok, Spent a few hours looking at the diagrams tonight.

Im sure i have it connected up correctly, But becuase this fault is logged, Would it stop the rest from working?

The pink T121/23 wire is not to earth, Its just taped up in the loom but i can get to it. Would there be an easy way to clear the fault with doing something with this wire but not adding another relay?
    With welding the MK4 pedal in and the rollcage, it is pretty tight behind the fusebox!:lol:

4. danTbone Forum Member

could you not tap in to the wire some where else in the loom thats easy to get to . might mean unwrap
    some of it.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what code is this ecu so i can get on the right diagram? perm live feed for ecu you can tap to G2/9 though this is unfused. its used by the VR6 ecu in some cases. dont worry about the ecu relay earth wire, just leave it unconnected. as i say ive made loads of ecu looms this way and it hasnt been a problem.

a more factory way to run the mk4 -> CE2 ecu relay wiring would be to use a VR6 ecu relay 109. run the mk4 ecu relay trigger to G1/7 and I assume that would shut up the ecu if wiring it up as above with a std automotive relay would work.

but as i say, you shouldnt need to bother it will run without. the fact the injectors are spraying means the ecu is trying to start the car! if it wasn't then you wouldn't get any fuel out of them.

6. mat-mk3

ECU PN is: 022 906 032 BG
    ME7.1.1, Engine is a BDE

7. Toyotec

It is the 24v BDE diagram that was used to understand and config to an older MK2 using VAG current paths for 1989-1990 MK2 8v GL and GTI.
    I would also suggest any tappings to KL30 be fused!
    ECUs do stay awake for a few secs after "Key Off"
    The 24v ECU has logic , linked to calibrated fault paths, so you would require a certain current, within a window to flow through the T121/23 to "heal" the fault.
    I looked at this very late at night and could not see an accessable path to the Digifant relay control earth from the diagrams I have here. The diagrams I have suggests the Digifant relay (Pos3) is connected to the internal fusebox rail (31) and switched on by KL15. Based on this diagram and the understanding of what goes on (logic states) in the 24v PCM I did not recommend using G1/7. I am not in front of my diagrams as I am at work so your suggestion of using the 021**256' VR6 PCM relay maybe an alternative to the my suggestion of using a standalone relay circuit to clear the fault providing the relay control at KL85 is not shared with any permanent earth. I do not have my MK3 stuff with me so we will have to take your word on this.

The ECU is working as you have diagnositcs;). However you can inhibit outputs such as spark control when there are issues such as immobliser ( which is not a pending, present or imtermitant fault)
    With these newer Ecus you have to "think inside the box"!

Lets work with each other on this one matey.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. Toyotec

I just had a thought as I am not in front of any diagrams.

Orginally as COPs, VVT and Injectors and supplied +12v by the same source (J271) what tells the J220 to set T121/23 low i.e. what wakes up the ECU to suggest the car is being cranked, KL15 or CAN?
    If we do know this then are we getting pin T121/23 to be true i.e. pulled low?

(supplying 12 Volts to outputs is just bypassing ECU control by not logic)

9. rubjonny

my thoughts are factory VR6 ecu perm live feed isnt fused so this would be ok, its up to the mat. most of the feeds on CE2 are unfused unlike the mk4 so I'd not be worried :thumbup:

see my sig for g3vr6ecupre95.pdf, you'll see how the factory VR ecu relay has the output feed to G1/10 as per mk2/3 ecu relay, and G1/7 is the earth trigger for this relay. its the same path as the MK3 #30 ecu relay used for the secondary ign live output from inside the ecu relay

yeah but you can get diagnostics with just the ignition on :p

what I meant by my post is that the ecu is trying to start the car because we have fuel. so this suggests to me the ecu relay fault code we are seeing isnt preventing the car from starting? if so mat can stop worrying about this code for now and concentrate on why the coils arnt firing. of course i may be wrong on this one as im not expert on how these ecus work at all, i just solders the wirings :lol:

it just seems to me that if you have fuel, then the ecu is happy and trying to run the car. to me it would be odd that ecu would send fuel but not spark if it wasnt happy due to immobiliser or whatever?

10. mat-mk3

Wow, Im getting lost here:lol:

Trying to find the trigger wire but cant find the end, I know its taped in the loom somewhere.
    I have power to the coil's but its like the ECU is not sending the signal to spark[:x]

11. rubjonny

ok feeds for BDE: (sorry if said before im just doing a brain dump right now)
    ECU:
    1/2 - earth
    3 - ecu relay power via T2/1
    23 - ecu relay earth trigger
    62 - permanent live
    94 - trigger for coil 3
    95 - trigger for coil 6
    102 - trigger for coil 1
    103 - trigger for coil 5
    110 - trigger for coil 2
    111 - trigger for coil 4

coil:
    1 - earth for spark trigger side via T14a/7 (not the best description I know sorry :lol:)
    2 - earth for coil output side
    3 - ecu relay power via T2/1
    4 - spark trigger from ecu

T14a:
    1 - oil pressure switch
    2 - ign live feed for speedo sender
    3 - speedo sender signal to dash
    4 - coolant temp sender feed to dash
    6 - breather heater (fuel pump feed)
    7 - earth (for coil trigger side earth amongst other things)
    8 - fuel injector power
    9 - earth for dash coolant temp sender
    11/12 - oil temp/level sender
    13 - electric coolant pump power

id start by checking all the earths for continuity, then check between ecu and the coils though seems unlikely to be the problem.

12. Toyotec

John, The VR6 PCM is not a CAN based PCM and does not stay awake or wake up with the Key Off.
    You may not be worried but the Electrical Team of Engineers at Bosch/VAG were concerned to add a 20 amp fuse in the current path.

The diagrams you have from the ETOS are the same I have at home. However as this was a MK2 (albeit with a VR6 conversion) I did not look at MK3 stuff at that late hour. Can check it out later though when I am home and include in the table that was created.

Which suggests the ECU is powered as I can do on a bench tester. In later cars you can access the ECU via CAN which will wake it up if the key is off.
    What happens on ECU powerup sequence regarding outputs (Pin 23) needs to be further investigated.

Some of us go a bit beyond solder and wirings...;)

What you say is logical....for older stuff and leads to a finite path of troubleshooting. The logic in this ECU is providing the current path for the fuel output and we found a supply from an source other than where we should (J271). An alternative method to J271 +12v supply was done for coil packs and vvt solenoids.
    However my question remains what gives the instruction to wake up the ECU. When this happens would pin 23 be pulled low)
    I am of the belief is if this goes low via CAN/KEYON then the logic for that enables the VVT solenoid and COPs will be switched on and the engine will run. The fuel injector logic is seems separated from these.

13. Toyotec

The issue was shorted listed to the diagram and table that I modified and put up earlier mate.
    I would suggest attempting to understand how does T121/23 go low and how the ECU awakes up when the vehicle key is "ON".

I mean KEY ON/or CAN msg that KEY is true -> T121/23 goes true -> IGA/VVT internal path active-> KL87/ Pin 4 (J271) +12v -> IGA/INJ/VVT live.
    As said there is logic going on behind the ECU connector.

14. Toyotec

I just thought I give a little input on this from the controls side.
    But I am busy again so will check back later to see how you all get on.

HTH :thumbup:

15. mat-mk3

Ok, My connections are this:

G1/8 - Blue/Yellow - Lambda probes
    G1/8 - Yellow/Black - T141A/6 - Fuel Pump Feed
    G1/10 - Black/Purple - T121/3 & T6/1 - Switched ECU Live

G2/4 - Black/Purple - T141A/2 & T141A/8 - Injectors & Speedo Sender
    G2/8 - Red/Purple - T141A/5 - (I now see this is not needed)
    G2/9 - Red/Green - T121/62 - Constant ECU Live

T141A/7 - Earth. This is just a chassis earth. Should it be in the fusebox?

Obviously i have all the other senders and stuff connected but i cant see them stopping it running.

The one im missing is T121/23 (ECU trigger we are still not sure about) but when i turn the ignition on i can hear the relay click on and the TB moves etc, Also im able to diag it.

To me it seems something simple is missing, What bext to check next? Thanks for your help both:thumbup:

16. Andy947 Forum Addict

Surely your T121/23 will need to see 12v, as the wiring diagram shows the ECU would make make the wire go from open circuit to earth to trigger the J271 relay.

Why not jus wire up up as per the diagrams?

17. rubjonny

yeah sorry toyo the table was more for my reference/understanding whilst going thru zee diagrams :thumbup:

with regard fuses vw added tons more fuses on the mk4 golf than you have on the CE2, if it was my own car i would be happy without a fuse. after all its still going to be permanent live in a VR6 no matter if ecu is on or off, or stays on for a little bit :p

an inline fuse is certainly not a bad idea, as i say its up to mat if he is worried or not :thumbup:

liek i say though, i have made loads of aum, auq and bde wiring looms for people the same way mat has and they run just fine without anything on CAN to switch on the ecu. so that makes me 99% sure the ecu sees the ign live feed from the relay and thats all it needs to power up :)

matt: what is t141a? do you mean 14a? if so all is fine there. pin T14a/7 i normally earth to the battery along with main ecu earth t121/1 and 2, but as long as the earth path is good it should be just fine no matter where you put it.

i cant see anything there that would stop it very strange! unless there is a certain thing on some BDE where they dont like not having a proper relay wire as per oem. im rackign my brains who it was i made the 24v loom for, it was a dude on ed38 i'll see if i can dig up his info

edit: ah! pretty sure it was dikvandub:
    http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showuser=34056

18. mat-mk3

If its as simple as putting 12V to T121/23 then it will be great, But i need some info on that first.
    I was trying to simplify the loom, Its nearly there just this problem.

19. mat-mk3

Cheers Jonny.
    You made one for benthejettaman too and he also has a BDE engine, His works[:^(]:lol:

T14a i mean sorry, Yes
    Any harm in putting 12v to T121/23?

20. rubjonny

andy: the trouble is the mk4 has the relay in its own box, this means either fit it in the bay somewhere or have it above the fusebox. this is messy compared to using the factory CE2 ecu relay socket. after all, its there, so why not use it? if you wire in a mk3 vr6 relay then this should stop the code, but is means splicing one more wire so it will reach to the fusebox. why bother if its not required?

im 99.999999% sure this is not the problem, i have done loads of looms as above and they have been fine. there is always that 0.000001% though :lol:

you could put 12v to that wire yeah, if that sorts out the code then i will splice this wire to an ign live feed in the ecu loom from now on to save this code from appearing :thumbup: