Non Starter, 17925 - Power Supply Relay for ECU

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mat-mk3, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Just found this image i saved a while ago. Its about putting an R32 into a 4motion.
    [​IMG]

Only thing i see is pin 23 again.
    So your saying if i put a 109 relay in but then fed 23 to G1/7 it would be more OEM really?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah that would make it like 100% oem as if vw fitted it, but as i say its an extra wire to run to the fusebox so i dont do it that way. plus the vw #30 ecu relay is 12.33+VAT from vw, whereas the vr6 109 relay is 14.64+VAT from VW.

I'm a tight northerner so any extra cheaperness and im all over it like a cheap suit :lol:

3. mat-mk3

Haha:lol:

Ok, I made up a new wire and put it to G1/7 and popped a 109 relay in, The fault code has gone!
    I know this wire has done something as the ECU didnt even power on with a 109 in.

However, It still wont start[:^(]
    Plugs are slightly wet, Not soaking but no spark still that i can see.
    I have removed a plug and tested and cannot see a spark. I have 12v going though the 2 pin plug, What else is there[8(]

4. rubjonny

can you try it with the 30 relay fitted? in theory this should also stop the code if putting 12v to the ecu pin 23 will fool the ecu as well as using a 109 relay.

i really cant see why it wont bloodty start! have you checked the measuring blocks see what the tps says, ecu temp and all that jaz?

edit: do you know anyone with a known good bde ecu, in case your immob defeat didnt work or something [:s]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. mat-mk3

Put relay 30 back in and also works with no fault code:thumbup:

Here is the measuring blocks when turning the engine over.
    [​IMG]

Nothing i can see wrong?
    Just noticed my coolant wire has snapped where the resistor is that i put in. But again i cant see that stopping it:lol:

6. mat-mk3

Took the fuel pipe off, Its pumping fuel ok.

Ok, Strange question but i have been looking at the plugs seeing as they seem to be the problem at the moment.
    They all have 4 connections. Plug 1 for example.
    Pin 1 - Brown/Red - Earth
    Pin 2 - Brown - Earth
    Pin 3 - Black/Red - Positive
    Pin 4 - Lilac/Green - T121/102

Now, How does pin 4 get to T121/102? Thats the modified loom side and i have made no connections like that. They dont go though the T14a, or any other plugs and there is not enough pins to be in the smaller ECU plug and i cant see them in the cables.
    If the ECU is firing the coils on pin 4 of the x6 plugs, I cant see how its connecting the 2!?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  7. mat-mk3

Ok scrap that, I realise from the image I posted above the numbers on the ECU[:$]

Oh and also the fault code came back with the 32 relay, put the 109 back in and it's gone again[:s]

Going back tonight to have a play, I will get it running[:x][:^(]

8. mat-mk3

You know, I bloody well did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D]

I tested everything again tonight and everything check out.
    Spoke to Vento_Mike on the phone and he said to check for 12V on Pin 2 of the MAF (Blue/Yellow). This was dead.
    Followed it back to the fusebox and it was in G1/8 with the fuel pump feed. Moved it to G2/8 as this was not used now and she fired right up!!

It ran sweet aswell with no fault codes (Using 109 relay). Great as we have done the timing chains.

So happy. Thanks you RJ and Toyo, The best online resource by far!:clap:

9. benthejettaman Forum Member

glad to see you got this running mat, was going to comment on the fault code as mine ran with it fine

and jonny did my loom as im dik-van-dub on e38

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

:thumbup::thumbup:

11. mat-mk3

That would make sence:lol:
    I'm sure no doubt it will run with that fault now, but I had to look at clearing it.
    Depending if I can hide the extra wire to clear the code, also I could run a MIL if I wanted.

12. danTbone Forum Member

glad to see you got it working:thumbup:

13. mat-mk3

Toyo or RJ.

"T121/43 Separate dash bulb with +12v feed earthed by T121/43 MIL"

Are you sure T121/43 is the check light as i thought that was the k-line for the diagnostics? Or is it a duel purpose pin?:lol:

14. rubjonny

very odd, check fuse #18 as thats what G1/8 is fed from. same fuse as fuel pump though so if that is working ok i can only think your fusebox has damage?

15. mat-mk3

Fuse 18 is ok, Checked them all:thumbup:

Its strange because the fuel pump was working on the Yellow/Black T14A, But not the other wire its tapped into. Its a nice soldered connection too.

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ECU Diagnostics is via CAN not K on EOBD products ( pins 6 and 14 on diagnostic plug)

K line is used for flashing though.

Hold tight on that one for now. I will edit the table as well. Will have to check what signal shape is on pin T121/43 but it does go to cluster module on T32a/5 as "W" warning. The cluster does output a "K" on T32/25, which shares a link with other K line items ABS, AC and then out on pin 7 on the J1962 plug.

17. mat-mk3

Im sure i only have the 1 k-line connected, Im even using the old VR6 ODB port thats not wired for CAN at all.
    Im not bothered about the light too much, It was just as i have the ECU trigger wire to hide now i would put the check light with it too.
    I will wait to hear back from you:thumbup:

18. rubjonny

pin 43 is still ecu diagnostics on the later ecus, i know of at least 1 aum wiring loom i made where this was used. plus mats using the k line from pin 43 to read codes on his own ecu ;)

mat it might be worth having a good look at your fusebox, on mine it was corroded on fuel pump socket and also the #18 fuse socket was all melted. most of the time car ran ok but from time to time the main pump wouldn't prime even though the lifter could! so i guess only enough power was coming thru for the lifter not quite enough to make the main pump work

19. mat-mk3

Well this is strange! I put it in G1/8 to give it a try and it worked! No idea what has changed and even using the same fuse still!