NOS genuine VW clutch off eBay. Useable or not?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Rustbuster, May 25, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    Bought this off eBay a while ago as new old stock. It’s a genuine VW kit so want to use it if I can. Friction plate looks fine but surface of pressure plate has seen better days. Would appreciate some thoughts as to weather or not it’s useable or is it going to give me aggro? Just surface rust but don’t want this clutch job to go like my last one where I was taking off and putting back the gearbox seemingly for fun... 8F7C8F9C-A5D9-401C-9008-C0C7CC22826F.jpeg DB2A72A5-4C3D-493C-8935-2CCAFE72545D.jpeg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

give it a buff back see how bad the pitting is, from what I can see I recon it'll be ok once cleaned up

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Nothing wrong with that.
    A bit of sand paper and the clutch disc will do the rest!

4. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks gents, that’s what I thought, I’ll give it a tickle with some 1500 grit then go easy on it for the first 1k miles. Got to be better then the one that’s in the car which is the original clutch with 230k miles racked-up. They ain’t been granddad miles either. Be interested to see what that looks like.