now you see it....

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by coupechamp, Aug 17, 2010.

1. coupechamp Forum Member

another bad day at the office, thought i would share it with you. Silverstone at the weekend 3 laps into 1st race of the day, when with no warning......bang. I could have lived with the fist sized whole in the block, but the resulting fire is what the pain is. Not got to the bottom of it yet, but whilst having a look and cleaning today found loads of metal in the throttle body, proper pieces, as well as lumps all around the bay. It's amazing how hot it got under there, and how fierce oil can burn!! Next plan i think is a 2Ltr 16 valver.....who the best for one of these....ideas welcome :thumbup:
    now you see it
    [​IMG]
    now you dont...there is a marshal in that smoke also!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [xx(]

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sorry to see Doug.

Do you have an idea what has failed?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Have a look at this 16 valve engines - OEM, tuned + race outputs thread - just posted up yesterday.

If you're going the route similar to the Dziurzynskis, I can point you to their engine parts supplier/builder in Holland.

4. danster Forum Addict

That really sucks.
    Sorry to hear about that.

Time for an 8v me thinks. ;)

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No good for power to weight racing Daniella! ;)

6. coupechamp Forum Member

Hi Chris, as of yet not pulled it out, maybe the next couple of days. No rush as we've called a halt to this season. I want to keep it simple in terms of what goes back in, i still have the sister engine sitting in the garage, but although they werent bad for a N/A engine, 210bhp they where never quite right. A bit puzzled to why, i know it was being raced but only to 6000 max. So going through the motions to follow similiar to Didge's engine or throw a load of money at the 20v. 16v on THB's sound right. Want to keep away from the turbo route, as the car is nice a light now, so yeah any info on their build would be a good starting point. I was going to drop them a line anyway, but it all helps. I saw the 16v thread, briefly but will have a proper look now. Right, of to have a read and track down some bits [:s]

7. danster Forum Addict

Why? [:s]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Not enough powarrr + torque combined!

9. Funky Diver Forum Member

Bad crack that fella...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. danster Forum Addict

I would have thought an alloy blocked 2.0 8v could have been made to work quite well, and simple to tune unlike chain inter cam shenanigans that the 20v and 16v have.
    Still intrigued by that original 20v NA engines 210 bhp at 6000rpm though. [:s]

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It probably could go some distance on weight there, but the last time an 8v won the VW Cup was with my Mk1, in 2003, which was varyingly short stroke or not, as far as I've heard.

Since then, the bigger engines and turbos have been pretty effective.

12. danster Forum Addict

Turbos. Pfftt.

What are the weight / power regs then?

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Regs

Power output as perdesignated rolling road.|Straight cut/dog engagement/and All Four Wheel Drive |Helical cut & Synchromesh Gearbox.DSG gearbox Power in BHP, up to & including:| Minimum Weight in Kilograms:|Minimum Weight in Kilograms: 280 |n/a| 1428 270 |1423 |1377 260 |1378 |1326 250 |1323 |1275 240 |1272 |1224 230 |1213 |1173 220 |1162 |1122 210 |1122 |1082 200 |1075 |1040 190 |1033 |998 180 |980 |945 170 |931 |901 160 |878 |848 150 |825 |795

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

sorry to hear that Doug,

16V has great potential and is very well developed motor. I'd personally look more into the using the later blocks which should be lighter in build, with integrated water pump could keep things light.
    Any banging on the fail, or just a hole? Conrod popped/snapped around cylinder 3 or 4?

you could even use same management with which ever N/A engine you went with

15. coupechamp Forum Member

Hi crispy,
    will pull it out soon but number 1 plug came out today with half the ceramic missing and a load of metal compressed into the electrode, i have also found some pieces of piston crown. loads of bits like i said in the throttle body. Should get a chance to whip the sump off tomorrow or like i said may well just get the lot out then strip it and see. I know when these go it can come out anywhere but the hole is just above the sump line, but that could be just that, a hole above the sump line. if you see my drift. Would gladly take feedback regarding who builds what, as there is some good, conflicting posts around.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  16. coupechamp Forum Member

ok then got it apart today, and even before it came apart you could see bent valve stems in the exhaust port on number 1. I've not stripped the head yet but the valves still seem to be in place, not dropped as such. Theres nothing left of the piston crown, the rod is still there, very slightly bent, but i think as a result rather than cause. As well as coming out the back of the block it has also taken about a third of the cylinder wall away into the water pump void. Then theres a few more bits broke. The alley oil pick up housing has snapped in half. Have a look. Been having a chat with Paul at RPM, and it's interesting about what he thinks.....16v or 20v.....watch this space, so heres a couple of pics to have a look at.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. danster Forum Addict

Piston failure to the max there! :o

18. bens_cab Forum Junkie

bit of metal mickey and its all good few thousands left in it lol

19. danster Forum Addict

What is the bore and stroke on the engine again?

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

81 x 86.4?