now you see it....

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by coupechamp, Aug 17, 2010.

1. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

JE's in that case.... though custom items are a good price, not much more than off the shelf.

The cheaper option would be to build an engine to suit the components available... if cast pistons are to be used, keep the c.r to a sensible 11:1 and fit cams to suit (290 ish degrees), then map it conservatively.... knocking off a couple of degree's of ideal power advance will help.

With the weight limit, decent power should still be possible... dont chase a peak number, go for a strong "spread".

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I was hoping to find something for the shopping list on here [:s]

3. danster Forum Addict

Nothing listed there Chris. Only 5v engine pistons which are dished. Turbo shenanigans. ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Indeed - the whooshy, whooshy brigade :lol:

5. danster Forum Addict

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nom, nom, nom :lol:

[​IMG]

Chewy.

I was rather thinking of replacement JEs and surprisingly none on that page [:s]

7. danster Forum Addict

Oh, you posting that pic reminds me I must get more Bisto in. Got a set of V8 conrods needing lightened and polished. The dog will be busy for a day or so with them. I need to re-soak them in gravy half way through the process to keep him on the job. :lol:

I get the cats to finish the ports in cylinder heads too, this is done by putting a bit of cheese in the valve bowl. They paw at it for ages and this leaves an uber finish on the ports. ;)

I better stop giving away all these top tips for engine building. :lol:

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:lol:

Are you able to get Nom Nom Nom to use the scales whilst lightening components?

9. coupechamp Forum Member

was up late last night searching for an Edition 30 engine to shove in!!! :lol: and came across these guys, Bahnstorm.net, unbelieavably they are 2 minutes from my house, and also have an ex John Reid guy there, so will pop in later today and have a chat. But all the above is good stuff. So like i keep saying, i'm still learning, but do you have to have the bores honed for new pistons, or would an exact size go back in, answers on a postcard to confused at Northampton.......i do get most of it. I wonder if the wife would notice stickers and a roll cage on the road car.......hhhmmmnnnn....[}:)]

10. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

aka proper power

:thumbup:

feet in both camps

:thumbup:

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hmm... which John Reid do they mean? Spelt like that I'd guess from Holbay.

A bore that has been run should have a hone.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Indeed [:$] but shoosh!

Giving the anchors a wide berth! :p

13. coupechamp Forum Member

it is the legendery Mr Reade, but sadly after popping in yesterday the website doesn't live up to what i found. Wont go into detail, but an empty unit at the back of a closed down garage where the Polish boys are washing cars out the front!! A couple of racks with bits on and a lot of space, i would love a place like that to do up!! Anyway he pointed me in the direction of someone else (automotive engineering) but sadly the guy i needed was away, all very helpful though. So again sitting here today looking for someone local..ish to measure bits.... hey ho[:o)]

14. coupechamp Forum Member

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've passed over various engine builder contact details... [:s]

16. coupechamp Forum Member

17. coupechamp Forum Member

this just came back from Hurricane.......[:^(]
    Hello Mr Ross,

It is always difficult to talk about prices it depands mostly about what parts you buy, ad labour and you know the real price.
    Our engines start at arround 7.500€ for a short block up to 25.000€ for fully built 295 bhp engines.
    The engine for sale is a 250 bhp tested engine can be sold as a short block 9600€
    Or as a complete engine with electronics, intake and dyno tested etc for 13.500€
    Prices are ex VAT

Could you explain some more about regulations and the race class (turbo and N/A and why you have to run standard rods?)
    So maybe we can be of some help.

Regards,

Lucien Bochem.

Hurricane Racing Engines

oouuccchhh [:s]

18. coupechamp Forum Member

FINALLY............... this came back today from SA:
    Hi Doug

we still use this engine in vw engen cup here but from the start of the season we changed the mangement systems to EFI Euro 4 encryptyed units and we lowered the max RPM to 7600 and the engine seem to last better.

But from 2011 we are switching to 16v FSi engine with cams and the old 20v intake manifold with an adaptor (to avoid going the direct injection route)

This engine produces 150kw on 95 unleaded fuel and are super reliable but will only be availible next year

as for the 20v units

Engine 4-cylinder
    Displacement 1984 cm3
    Valves per cylinder 5
    Power output 155 kW (250 bhp) at 7450 revolutions per minute
    Rev limit 7600 revolutions per minute
    Maximum torque 220 Nm at 6500 revolutions per minute
    Engine Software EFI Euro 4

Compresion ratio 12.5:1
    cams are made for VW racing and are availible from us
    Piston was specialy made for us but we can get them anymore so there is only a few sets in our stores availible

here are some part numbers

Cam intake 058 109 021 sp
    cam exhaust 058 109 022 k sp
    Crank 06a 105 101 j
    engine block 06a 103 011 c
    cyl head 058 103 351 e

Cylinder head needs to be reworked in the combustion chanber as well as around the intake cam to clear the lobes
    The blocks where originaly mexican but I'm not sure where they where sourced from the last time

If you need iether a short block engine or complete unit or spares to rebuild yours you can contact Niel Roos at our parts department

19. danster Forum Addict

Interesting, not sure if that is a whole base engine, or cobble together of a load of parts.
    155kw is not 250bhp either. As far as my mafs works out. ;)

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

No sh;t, Sherlock.

Looks like there will be a load of used units available shortly too... as they're moving to the FSI unit.

NLA = they lost the big hacksaw, and the bearings in the Dremel are worn out - see Daved, lads!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010