now you see it....

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by coupechamp, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

About 208 bhp, I reckon, if we're going to be vulgar and talk peak numbers.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What compresssion would cast pistons take? Does this seem right @ 12.5?

3. danster Forum Addict

Cast pistons at 12.5 = the reason for this thread IMO. ;)

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Well yes, but how long will they survive for? Coupe has clearly had > 5mins from them.

5. danster Forum Addict

True, and the reason they failed appeared to be due to the chronic reshaping of the skirts, rather than the crowns falling apart.
    That stated compression is not necessarily correct though. The engine would need to be cc checked to prove what it was running. All serious builds would involve this. When you get a 2.0 engine pushing that sort of figure, a couple of ccs more or less can make a huge difference to the calculated figure.

6. coupechamp Forum Member

he must have been reading this.....
    quote;
    Hi Doug

I see that I made a mistake on the Bhp 155kww is +/- 210hp so I find it strange that you had to limit it to 6200 because according to my dyno graphs @ 6200 it makes 182hp bhp
    the problem is that the curve leading up to 6200 is very poor you'll never do decent lap times running there in the curve.

What engine management system are you using?

I'll rather fit a smaller throtle or a air flow restrictor to get in the 210hp band and use the full power band (7600)

at the moment you are falling so far down on the power with each gear change that youl really batlle to do decent lap times.

We tested a std 2.0lt fsi with the polocup intake which made 130kw@ (174hp) max but the midrange torque was pretty good and only lost 1.5 s/lap

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It seems high to me also, hence the Q, which I'm thinking has an answer in the 11s region, on the assumption the skirts were cut properly.

Ballpark?

8. coupechamp Forum Member

ETKA for me said couldn't find some bits, but while searching t interweb found this
    http://www.polo-fvw.co.za/documents/engen_vw_tech_regs_2010.pdf
    seems to have all i need to know...nearly anyway. but it seems my engine was being held back, although how the crowns would last at a higher rev limit, although they did over there!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  9. coupechamp Forum Member

looks like i wasn't the only one suffering with pistons!!! Had another e-mail to one i sent him and got this back...
    quote:

Hi Doug

Yes the piston is a big problem area for us too, they are cast units and the size from unit to unit differs more than acceptable, if you want to continue to run this engine you must invest in a proper race piston

Lehmann Motoren in lichtenstein did supply us mahle units for our rally cars, but they are expensive +/- 400eur/piston and you'll probable need to change the conrod as well,
    but they last forever if you don't drop a valve

alternatively JE Pistons in the USA will make you a piston from your sample or drawing for +/- $150 U.S. and they are pretty good, They make pistons for me for the 1400 A5 rally engine 160Hp and I'm quite happy with their product

http://www.jepistons.com/Default.aspx

let me know what you decide to do
    hhmmnnn

10. coupechamp Forum Member

in terms of keeping bottom end close to what we have but swapping to better items, what would be the limits of the rods in here, i would imagine i'm not going to be doing anymore that 8 - 8500 revs. The part number i have for the rods 027105401c comes back with 'not in stamm' on my ETKA? whats this mean. Bearing in mind we need to run standard rods, lightened to the lightest one.... would it be worth upgrading to something like S3 rods..... dont actually know if these would fit, not looked yet, but hopefully you see what i mean. J.P Pistons on the way :p

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Guess you mean JE pistons?

What is your power limit with yr weight?

If you go for an engine with a strong power spread and enough peak power to satisfy the regs, then you wont have to rev it so hard. Std rods are quite strong. I know of some of the VW cup runners that are quite hard on engines, sending them back to the engine builder with a LOT more than 8-1/2k on the tell-tale due to over reving on the downchange... the big ends go out of shape, spin the bearings, knacker the crank (all simply due to driver "enthusiasim" rather than a part fault), but the rods dont break.

12. coupechamp Forum Member

Good spot, it is J.E. In terms of power limit, i can go up it's not a massive issue, but just as the car is light now would be good to keep in the upto 210hp class. The car is 2kg's over it's dry weight just to be safe. I think if we could use what we had more effectivly then that might be better. I think getting some decent management on it is a must, looking at different options, like always, any thoughts from all most welcome. Still thinking about the cam side of things at the moment, still thinking about everything at the moment, but having just found out what we have in terms of cam, i could i suppose go a bit wilder, at the moment they are: Inlet 293 with 9.65 of lift and exhaust 295 with 11.30 lift. :thumbup:

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Keeping it light is good as you have to carry any extra weight everywhere. 210hp will be easy, so you wont need too much cam, so will be able to spread the power from fairly low, so to give good punch from the corners, and it wont need big revs, a peak power around mid 7's and a limiter at 8k.

Run the cams you have, it'll make that power easy. Anymore cam info... lift at tdc?

DTA works very well. What's on there currently?

14. coupechamp Forum Member

Thanks for the info, not putting cams in would save a few quid, at the moment, inlet is 293 with 9.65.. lift and exhaust is 295 with 11.30 mm of lift. Theres no real management on there, just what came on the car but with a superchips chip in it, but been wanting to get something decent on it for ages. I also think it was mentioned earlier that the superchips side of things may well have been part of the engine not working well. Certainly compared to what they do with it in South Africa: quote, just turned theres down to 7,600 for reliability: Looked at the DTA stuff and seemed to be about all i needed. CatCams sent an e-mail today still wanting to send cams to Belgium to measure, they want to know duration @ 1mm as to work out a profile, but like you said if i can get away with the cams then so be it :thumbup:

15. m1keh Forum Member

Catcams probably want to steal some info ;). Speak to the tuner your going to use before going buying management would be my advice. Its cheaper and easier for them to tune something that they are familiar with using.

16. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

you wont go far wrong with something like a dta

17. coupechamp Forum Member

still leaning towards the DTA stuff, anyone know what it's like in terms of fitting etc ;)

18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Fitting/mounting the ecu is easy, you'll need the correct sensors to suit, trigger wheel mounted, loom to suit. Send the cams to a UK company, they can do the same that Cat can, nothing wrong with Cat stuff, just easier to deal within the UK... but a fresh version of your old engine with decent managament of ignition & fueling and a proper build should get the power you need, you can develop after that if needs be.

19. coupechamp Forum Member

are these just to nice to hide away inside an engine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now for the head stuff!!

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Progress, progress.

What compression did you go for?