O2m starter query

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by dodgy, May 25, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Had a bit of time looking at the 1.8t engine and gearbox I've been collecting and assembling for a while.
    Couple weeks ago I thought would try to turn it over with a battery. So got jump leads on it, and just got 'click', took starter motor off and tested it, seems fine.
    Put it back together today after cleaning and lubrication, works fine off the engine.
    When back on, just get the big click.
    Engine is an APY from an S3, has the original flywheel and clutch. Gearbox is an o2m 6 speed from a leon (cant remember code off top of head, sorry).
    Starter is the original one off the Audi S3.
    Is there any obvious (or not) thing with my set up, such as the 4wd lump with 2wd gearbox has a flywheel issue?
    Any help or suggestions appreciated, haven't had chance to take apart and measure yet, possibly will get an evening in week.
    Thanks.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I assume you’ve checked your earths?

3. dodgy

Engine is on a pallet on the garage floor, jumping from a freshly charged battery.
    Direct to starter body with the earth, which had been cleaned with wire brush on drill, and +ve directly on starter pole, jumper wire (original plug) to trigger the solenoid. All seem like good connection.
    Seems the starter, clutch and flywheel are the same 2wd or quattro, or according to what I've quickly googled.
    And the gearbox code is ERR, that's not me thinking, it's a cupra R bam engine box.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

possibly the motor inside is bad, turns fine without load but cant spin up the engine. I assume you've already tried turning engine over by had to make sure its all free

5. dodgy

Yeah turns ok with a ratchet on crank, may well be the starter, know car was running which then engine and starter came from, but the box was one I had got before. Has been sat for 6 months, I'll grab another one, seems like all the same off o2m box, 4 or 2wd no difference.
    Thanks again

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I do not think 2wd or 4wd make a difference. Try a different starter as you say.

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

New starter ordered, its listed for pretty much all the 1.8t except the APY, but my box is a BAM, and looked at flywheels too to see if any difference, appear they are same, so ordered the starter as stated BAM, worst case I suppose is I need a BAM flywheel.