Oak Green 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Matt_16v, May 26, 2020.

1. Matt_16v New Member

Hi all,

Here's a bit about my Golf. Used to have an old 8v GTI around 10 years ago, had this since.

So after my old 8v was written off I couldn't go and just buy a normal car to replace it. So around 2014 I went and bought a slightly ropey but salvageable Oak Green 16v:

[​IMG]

Odd picture I know! Old 8v in the back ground looking very sorry for itself and I was looking to sell the banded steels that I used to run on it.

[​IMG]

Seller had it on some D90s with huge adapters but I didn't fancy those so haggled down the price and put it on some RAs I had lying around. Belting parking couldn't have got closer if I'd tried:

[​IMG]

And here it is. My new, in 2014, Oak Green 16v. Never been a big fan of the small bumpers and they were in a real state anyway, so I got on with stripping down my old 90 spec 8v and repainting to fit the valver.

[​IMG]

Getting there...

[​IMG]

It's amazing what a difference some bumpers and trim can make!

Somewhere around 2014 (I think!) I bought a set of RZ's off of an old E30 because I really like the period lattice style but prefer covers for the bolts, plus the RZ's are much lower offset, never really liked the insane amount of tuck on a stock Mk2 wheel setup. Quick test fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One day at work came out to find another classic park right next to me:

[​IMG]

Noice. Was happy with the fit! But "real life" got in the way. Somewhere around this time the rings went and I'd be spitting blue smoke everywhere I went. I had the engine rebuilt but a new longer commute and "real life" meant I couldn't drive it every day like I used to. Into the garage it went...

Knowing it really wanted a decent refresh and some welding I declared off the road December 2017. Two house moves and 2 and a half-is years later, nothing really happened, although the cat still enjoyed hiding in it..

[​IMG]

One of them even seemed quite keen to get his paws oily

[​IMG]

Then there was a pretty long period where it saw no action but every time I got it out the garage and looked at it I always swore I'd get it back on the road

[​IMG]

Another house move later and somewhere around late 2018 I had a big shock coming. My old man suddenly died out of the blue. It hit me very hard, I had loads of memories of working on my old crappy Volkswagens with him. Turning up, announcing my latest purchase and how it only needs a bit of work! It made me think you never know what's around the corner, so it's time to pull my finger (and wallet) out to get it sorted so I could actually enjoy it again. Knowing I couldn't do the work needed on my own, I dropped it off with a mechanic and explained what needed doing. Then it was a case of getting some parts together and getting it it's first MOT in years..

[​IMG]

What a sorry state it was. Exhaust hanging off, tyres flat, calipers sticking...

2. Matt_16v New Member

Progress was slow. But I started to get what I needed. New AP Racing Coilovers, a Jetex exhaust, new Black Diamond Discs & Pads, new fuel lines, new fuel filter.. and finally, something like 3 years after buying them I had my RZ's refurbed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted braided fuel hoses and Eibach front and rear ARB's. But then a nasty little bodge was found in the sill:

[​IMG]

It didn't have skirts when I bought it so seemed fine. 5 years later the poor repair was in a real state and needed sorting

[​IMG]

All the crap cut out and a new plate welded in, then painted over to stop it rusting (again)

[​IMG]

Wasn't sure what to do with the front end. Love the single lamp, but I also like the quad setup. Thought about putting on my old Rallye front end that I've held onto for years. In the end decided to go quad lamp, bought what looked a good grill on eBay but it ended up getting damaged in the post

[​IMG]

Annoying but seller refunded some cash so it wasn't a waste. Decided to fit it anyway and got hold of a uprated headlamp loom to fit too because I'd got used to head lights that actually worked so felt like it was worth doing.

Rear bumper was in a bit of a state so decided to get that repainted, not sure what it is but quite liked it with no rear bumper

[​IMG]

Quad lamp on, got a new GTI 16v badge from VW Heritage whilst I was at it

[​IMG]

Just before Christmas 2019 it was MOT'd! Legal and driving well for the first time in years. I was really happy to have it back and looking forward to getting back out to some shows

[​IMG]

Finally my rear bumper didn't have paint falling off it and the exhaust didn't look like it was going to fall off

[​IMG]

Finally in it's new home

[​IMG]

But with a car like this, it never ends. I wanted to take off the lower trim on the grill and paint it body colour, like it should be, so off the grill came

[​IMG]

Quick sand, bit of primer, few layers of spray paint and then sealed up with some lacquer and I chucked it all back together again. Small job but makes a big difference

[​IMG]

Started trying to drive it about a bit and get it rolling and sort any teething problems before Ultimate Dubs. But this had become a common sight:

[​IMG]

Battery was draining very quickly and I was having to jump it with the tractor. Seemed to having a hot start issue too- after a run, when the engine had been warmed up- but then left for 10 minutes or so, it wouldn't start back up. It turned over really slowly, as if the battery was flat. Some Googling later turns out it had ended up with the wrong battery was in it, picked a new higher rating one and the issue disappeared completely. That was easy! Makes a bloody change.

Thinking that there was a spring/summer of shows ahead I picked up a Blaupunkt Bremen head unit, really happy with it, love the retro look but modern features. For some reason I didn't take a picture, so here's one of the cat back on his favourite climbing frame

[​IMG]

The day before UD, whilst on a shake down, my rad fan packed in >:( Well, that's what I thought it was after knocking up a bit of fused wire to. force 12v to it. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. I got the voltmeter on the wiring to it from the car, voltage seemed totally random. Anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 volts. Bugger.

So I missed out on what would have been my first show it years, and then the fault revealed itself. My alternator was on he the way out, but I didn't catch it until wiring up the amp for some new audison door speakers. After fitting the stereo it didn't take long to remind me how crap the standard speakers are in a Mk2!

Decided to sort it. Had two amps and a sub from years ago. Got some component audisons for the front doors that would be amped up from the rear, started running cables and wiring, with a little help, of course

[​IMG]

Never been happy with a generic sub box so I had a look online to see I could buy one that fit the car better. Couldn't find one new or used, so decided to make one myself, little lock down project!

[​IMG]

Almost done in this photo, decided to cut up some MDF to make a false wall in the boot, so I could hide the amps on the other side and stop whatever is in the boot from smashing into them all the time. Bit of universal boot carpet and some glue and then it was all done:

[​IMG]

And that's it, all up to date! It's only taken 7 odd years, but it's starting to get there now!

[​IMG]

3. Matt_16v New Member

The black section of the front bumper had peeling paint was just generally in bad shape. Weather was perfect for painting so off came the front bumper

[​IMG]

After a bunch of sanding, on with some paint

[​IMG]

Then finally refitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really happy with how it came out, I used Protex Textured spray paint, it’s much more even now.

On with side trims and skirts now.

Also made a lot of progress on collecting parts for a 1.8T swap. I know it's common as muck but seems to be the best value way of getting a bit more go. Doesn't need to be silly fast, just a bit more than what a standard 16v can give me.

afbiker02 likes this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Great stuff and kudos for sticking with it, it's not easy as you have experienced but there's nothing like it when you're back on the road.
    Well done Sir!!

Matt_16v likes this.
  5. BISSONE Forum Member

Great write up and even better investment, fair play for keeping with it. Wish I hadn’t sold my oak green valver 8 years ago but you live and learn.

Matt_16v likes this.
  6. Malibu_convertible New Member

Nice color. Is it oem?

7. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes, by the looks of it, it’s Oak Green.

8. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Looks very nice, Oak green has always been a good colour for a mk2 :thumbup: