Occasional smoking exhaust cr tdi.

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by mk2 nas, Feb 9, 2019.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

hi,as title getting some grey/blue smoke from exhaust.the problem isn't always present I can go
    Days without it happening.then 3/4/5 times in a half hour drive.then goes away for a day maybe a week( if I'm lucky)... then returns.
    So I'm baffled by this but someone may know what to look for..

My thoughts are...
    (correct me if I'm wrong) worn stem seals highly unlikely as they normally a cold problem that goes away when hot running.

Oil sucked up from inter cooler and then burnt off a possibility (if so where's the oil from.)

Worn turbo seals but if this is the case then surely it would be everyday.so don't know

I'm also getting some cabin fumes( nasty acrid ) but don't know if this is related,

Just to add .... usual scenario approach a roundabout decelerating say in 2nd
    Exit roundabout get back on the gas and (smoke) in my mirror. gun it 3rd 4th 5th and nothing.just seems to
    Be a declaration and back on acceleration at low speed or low rpm is when it comes about.
    Your thoughts thanks.

58 plate Passat 2.0tdi cr 140. 142k

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Could it be doing a regeneration on the DPF ?

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Don't think the colour of smoke is right for that.
    Acrid bluish smoke to me is burnt engine oil I think.have been reading up on possible
    Scenarios of engine oil in the turbo.
    Not always bad news as can be turbo not draining oil back to the sump or
    Crankcase pressure is wrong forcing oil back up the drain in past the turbo seal.
    I will have to do some digging first before booking into garage.hopefully not the turbo
    As this will be a grand I suspect.

4. Lucky951 New Member

Did you ever figure this out ?