OEM management wiring: 1.8T => Mk2 harness install FAQ

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by 20v_jimmy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. g60_edge New Member

Cheers for all the info. It makes sense.
    Having looked back through the wiring diagrams I can see that using the original senders looks simplest.
    You right about the wiring colours/connections. It's pretty confusing though as the wire colours appear to change depending on the wiring diagram and doesn't even appear on the APX diagram.
    On this one, attaumauqarybamecu.pdf (page 11) the purple/white wire changes to yellow/black after the 14 pin connector and goes to the clocks, hence why I got it wrong above.
    Anyway, none of that really matters, I'll take your advice and go with the original senders.
    Many thanks
    Alex

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no you were right, yellow/black is the wire but it does both the oil temp and the level warning!

3. rubjonny

Some info copied out of another thread which might be useful here, this is a AGU->mk2 loom I just finished. not 100% same as the later looms but theres not really much more to it! just the later ones have an extra blue plug for the DBW which you will have to cut and extend so it reaches behind the fusebox. the other difference is some have an extra 2 pin plug which powers the 2nd ecu loom, this sits near the header tank on the mk2:
    http://vwtech.no-ip.info/images/golf/g2-g4conversionloom.jpg

1 - lambda/carbon canister plugs, lengths unchanged
    2 - ecu and wiper plug, coming into scuttle via middle grommet near coil. note main ecu earth here, if you cant get a good earth in the scuttle I recommend you use one of the old coil mounting bolts. put ecu earth scuttle side, and run a wire to battery -ve from the bay side if that makes sense
    3 - ecu sensor & dash earth, run to side of head
    4 - fusebox plugs, not speedo sensor output blue plug, diagnostics wire grey plug. both mk3 style connectors for ease of fitment (steal mk3 diagnostics loom/jumper block and speedo jumper block from scrappy)
    5 - oil sensors + pas pressure switch. no spades here as im not 100% sure of where the user will put the mk2 oil pressure/temp senders on mk4 block
    6 - starter & reverse switch, mfa outside temp and finally MK4 T10a or T14a plug. If you add this the 2nd half of the MK4 loom plugs straight in with no modification!
    7 - MAF plug

If you have a 90spec car ideally start with a MK2 digifant engine loom as it makes wiring the T10/14 plug easier. 4 of the wires you need are right there in the 5 pin plug in the scuttle, and some will even pop right into the mk4 plug. the 5th wire you can steal and use for something else, maybe speedo signal or permanent live feed. just move the fusebox end of the wire to the correct pin :thumbup:
    even the lengths are perfect you can drag them out of the scuttle and run down to passenger chassis leg.

but you can use any mk2 loom really, just means you need to add the extra wires to the fusebox, you can use scrap CE2 looms and cut the pins & wire out as required.

when when I do them I put the MK4 ecu in the middle of the scuttle near the wiper motor, loads of room here and it makes your life so much easier when making the mk4 looms fit the mk2. do it this way and a lot of the mk4 wires will reach where they need to go without any modifgication, just the wires back to the fusebox on the multi coloured plugs that need extending to reach the fusebox. no big deal tho as you would have to cut them off to fit the mk2 fusebox anyway!

to make it work better pull the wiper loom out of the grommet closest to passenger chassis leg and instead run it through into the middle grommet with the MK4 ecu plug. it will be too long once this is done, i chop it down and crimp on new pins but you could just tuck it out of the way. that way it makes the looms fit easier as the 2nd loom can then use the old wiper grommet which means it will fit straight in with no modifications whatsoever :thumbup:

4. g60_edge New Member

any ideas on tach wiring for a corrado. I thought i read somewhere that the later digital clusters would wire straight up, earlier ones needed an adaptor.
    mines 92 /G60, so think digital. I wired it direct as shown in this thread and it sits at 3K on idle and doesn't go higher.
    Any help?

5. lewp91 Forum Member

ok guys i've read though this, just wondering if there is any info out there about going from a 1.6 carb mk1 to 20vt AGU using oem management? i cant find anything :(

6. rubjonny

erm, look near the top of this page? :lol:

7. g60_edge New Member

Anybody help on this. My tach won't go over 3k and seems very sensitive up to that point at idle
    Thanks
    Got my APX running in the Corrado thanks to this thread, superb info, thanks all.

8. lewp91 Forum Member

feck i missed that last page haha

9. rubjonny

ups, last page now not this page :lol:

10. Gloves88 Forum Member

T6-brown connector
    pin 1 -black or black/purple 15 amp fused switched live 15 to ecu T121/3 (g1 pin 4, needs fuse)
    pin 4 - red/green 20 amp fused constant positive 30 to ecu T121/62 (Y pin 4, needs fuse)
    pin 5 - blue/yellow fused 10 amp from fuel pump relay (g1 pin 10, needs fuse)

T14a - 14 pin connector near batter
    pin 6 - yellow/black fused 10 amp from fuel pump relay (g1 pin 8, needs fuse)

I've been used this thread as a guide for the conversion - thanks very much for creating it!

I just wanted to confirm - the above connections, when it says "needs fuse", does this mean it needs one put inline or can the fuse slots on the fusebox be used?

11. rubjonny

well, when i say 'needs fuse' i just mean the mk4 golf is fused as standard. you dont have to put a fuse in there if you dont want to. the oem mk2 & mk3 golf wiring doesnt have a fuse for the coil, injectors or the ecu relay power.

I woudl recommend you fuse the main coilpack power though, as the insulation is prone to cracking up on the dbw looms or if a coilpack fails this can put excessive load on the wire

12. paulgtir32sc New Member

sorry if i missed this but what was the outcome of the steering sensor plug can you just chop and join the wires ?

13. rubjonny

either cut them out without joining or fit the mk4 sensor, if you join them the ecu will think you're steering the car even if you arnt.

14. paulgtir32sc New Member

cheers jonny

15. Golfmadness New Member

This is an great Thread and hopefully I may be able to add something useful to it with any luck in the not so distant future[8D]

16. paulgtir32sc New Member

T14A

pin 4 -purple coolant temp sensor (214) Y/M (G2 pin 3, requires resistor to read correctly)

does any know the correct resistor to use for this to install into mk2 run mk2 16v clocks

17. rubjonny

ive heard mixed things about this, some say they had to fit a resistor, and some of the looms i made customers have had to cut the resistor out before dash would work! i also heard somewhere old sensors need a resistor and new ones bought from vw dont? no idea how that would work.

if it was my car id do it without and see, if it doesnt work right try a resistor. the figure ive seen for this is 33k not sure if its right though :lol:

18. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Same as me, I have just put one in my loom but not tried it yet. I got a mate to do it and i think he put 2 in to make up 33ohms as we didnt have a single one handy.

19. paulgtir32sc New Member

just a quick one done the loom per guide the fuel pump seems to be priming but i dont seem to have any coils i.e no spark... any idea what relay controls this as per the guide what location and what relay ? many thanks

20. rubjonny

check the2 pin plug on the 2nd loom with 1 purple/black wire. this is coil live feed on the later looms and is easily overlooked