OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep sure can, ecu signal is the same. just the red line will be a bit too high for a diesel ;)

2. Sverre Lervik New Member

Good Yes, i know about the red line, i can live with that if i can get the tach to work

3. madmanluke New Member

I'm using a BFH in a Mk2. Everything is fine althoguh i'm trying to wire up the after-run coolant pump properly. I have a feed that i've wired to the pump via a spare pin on the T14a plug to get it pumping, but i am struggling to find the trigger wire from the ECU output pins. Does any one have that to hand. I assume this would also just be a trigger wire to trigger a relay somewhere for this? It wouldnt be able to power the unit directly from the ecu pin out?

V51 seems to be the one against the BFh ECU diagram, but pin 51 on the ECU seems to lead off into the llambda looms on mine... t14a/13 is the 12v+ send to the unit its self but thats the cable i'm looking to hook onto something as its grounded ecu loom side, meaning it must be switch live to it!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  4. madmanluke New Member

So looking further into this, there is no trigger it seems from the ECU - is that correct? The pump on the r32 would have been wired via T14a/13 directly to the fan control unit. In which case - does any one know the curcumstances in which it was turned on so i can replicate in a simple setup in the mk2. I'm thinking either along the lines of a timed relay so the pump remains on 10mins after losing a switched ignition live, or just running when ever the fans run.

I was sure the ECU triggered this behaviour somehow but it would be interesting to know what others have done.

5. rubjonny

Yep exactly right, on the MK4 this function is handled by the FCM same as it is on the MK3 VR6. The MK5 R32 has an ecu pin which triggers the coolant pump relay though.

Not exactly sure how the pump behaves on a MK4 though hopefully someone can chime in on that

6. timothycori88 New Member

hello mate,

trying to use my diagnostic port and discovered the white/red wire doesn't have any power with ignition on, any ideas what would cause this?
    not the end of the world as i just hooked it up to a ignition live source. but would like to get it sorted if i can.

cheers

7. rubjonny

where did you hook the red/white to?

8. timothycori88 New Member

pin 16 on the OBD port, but it wasn't working. so i looked on your notes it said pin 16 is permanent live, but even with ignition on its not getting any power.

as i said i put a different power to the OBD and got it working but the red/white has no power.

9. rubjonny

if the car is a MK1/2 conversion then you have to wire the port in yourself? if it was a MK3 golf then this is tapped into the cigarette lighter power

10. timothycori88 New Member

ah i see, i was using the t10w/1 i thought that was the power, so i did have to run a permanent or ignition live?

11. rubjonny

ah no, t10w/1 is used to put the earlier ecu into boot mode, you have to put 12v into this pin to activate that function. for your port you need to tap it to a permanent live from the fusebox, on my looms as I wire in the lcutch and brake switches I tap into the permanent live for the brake switch. or you can go to the P/Y live spades, or depending on how you wire up the port you can tap into ciggy lighter like oem mk2/3, but you need a connector on the k-line grey/white so the engine loom can be split from the dash harness if that makes sense

12. timothycori88 New Member

yeah ok sweet, i had it working with a ignition live from one of the G terminal. its a mk1 so ill keep the plug next to the fuse box, ive got a spare permanent live from the clock cluster so will use that.

i chopped my OBD plug from the wreckers so its wired in.

thanks for the help.

13. rubjonny

ignition live is ok tbh, as you can only scan the ecu with ignition on anyway

14. deanoakley New Member

Hi, I am trying to follow your thread to wire up my mk1 aum 20v conversion. i removed the wires not needed from the ecu plug but while doing it i stupidly removed the dbw wires my mistake. do yo have a diragram to show were to put them back please .thanks dean

15. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, rain stopped outside play today, so started building up the 1.8t to mk2 ce1 loom, into mk2 1.6, in the living room! all straightforward with the brilliant guide, just a few wires left to go, and had to dig to find pedal switch pinouts but got there.
    Only bits l have left are relay wires, ecu one is left as is. And have to add a relay for fuel pump as well as wire to it in car.
    Do I run the relay trigger wire which is on D13 usually to the relay, and earth the other side of its coil?
    Am I correct with T14 plug pin 8 and 6 both to ecu relay output pin 87,
    T14/5 and T6/5 brown plug both to fusebox N,
    T6/4 brown fusebox P, permanent live.
    Orange plug T10/6 should be a wire between dash/radio? Or is that to vss?
    I'm planning on running 6 speed cupra box, and so no speedo cable, what are the suggestions for getting speedo working?
    Can I use a later dial retrofit to the mk2 dash gauges, or is there an adaptor that converts to cable drive?
    Tacho adaptor I've seen online, or is there a supplier that you advise for them?
    Thanks in advance, sorry a bunch of questions.
    Cheers Dave

16. rubjonny

deanoakley:
    Clipboard01.jpg

dodgy:
    If you're not using the fuel relay on the fusebox then you cant use spade N or E/14 for any of your feeds. D/13 is the earth trigger, the 1.6 loom will have a pin for it left over from the inlet manifold relay trigger. if you wire it externally the purple/white wire goes to relay pin 85 and you feed it ignition live to 86, then perm live to 30 and fused feeds from 87 for fuel pump, T6/5, T14a 5, 6.

T14a/8 is only used on AGU, for AUM/AUQ etc with its own ECU relay you wont be needing this one

blue/whgite is speed signal, if you have this feed it'll be either an empty yellow/white spade on the clock loom or it'll be fed to the radio. In the fusebox FAQ link I put in for this section you can scroll down to CE1 clock pinout, you'll need GTI clocks or add speed sensor to your clocks to get this signal as well as potentially adding the wire to cluster pin.

if you use 02M then you'll need an adaptor like this:
    https://www.dakotadigital.com/index...t_id=886/category_id=287/mode=prod/prd886.htm
    http://www.atrol.com/speedometer/cable-x.htm

or modify some kind of speedometer unit inside a set of mk2 clocks. you can use the 02m speedometer sender feed for the ECU speed signal as well though so thats one less thing to worry about if your clocks dont have signal output.

for tach adaptor try Chris Bellamn or James E Looms on Facebook

17. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

John, it's been said before, but you are an absolute legend. Thanks.
    Just ordered a tacho adaptor and will hopefully sort rest of loom tonight, add a separate relay for the fuel pump, then consider mk3 clocks or something, the temp gauge and digital clock doesn't work on ours so would probably be changing anyway.

18. Sverre Lervik New Member

Hi. My plan is to order a tach adapter for 1.8T to use on my Mk1 1.9tdi pd. Thinking to order from vagtronics.uk. I see i have to Select engine code when ordering. Do you know if there are differnt types of tach signal from 1.8T engines?

19. rubjonny

I have no idea why there is an engine code drop down box, as the signal is the same for them all and is for the diesels too.... drop them a message they should be able to clarify the reason

20. madmanluke New Member

Regarding the after run pump issue further up. Decided to just run the pump when fans are on. Better than nothing for now until I work out what else to do.

I do have an issue with lambda's with the r32. I get DTC’s P0141 and P0036. It lists as bank1 sensor 2 only but I think the issue swaps depending on what way I have the lambdas plugged in.

I have a solid 14v to pin 3 of the lambda when engine is on to the lambdas coming from G1/8 so I don’t think it’s for lack of voltage. Although if I test with ground on pin 4 I get nothing. I’ve traced pin 4 (what I believe is ground for the sensor) back from each plug it goes into the ecu. The ecu is grounded fine.

does any of thing ring any bells for any one or do I genuinely have a ground issue here?

I had this issue before so assumed it was dead lambdas so these are brand new genuine items in here.