OIL PRESSURE

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Bill Zuchero, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Bill Zuchero New Member

I have a 1997 MK 3 Golf GTI 2.0. The oil pressure light is flashing. It only flashes when the car is warm and at an idle not while I am driving. The oil is at the right level and I have change out the low pressure switch with the same results. I was thinking the oil pump may be going bad. I am think about hooking up another oil pressure gage off the oil pressure switch to see if the oil pressure is bad. Any ideas out there.

2. H8V

h8v Forum Member

An oil pressure gauge would give you a better idea of what's going on.
    Possibly worn main and big end bearings causing the low pressure.
    Possibly partially blocked oil pump strainer. Might be worth taking off the sump to check the filter.
    Possibly worn oil pump, but a bit unlikely bearing in mind what it's running in.

I checked the oil pump on my Mk2 GTI with 240k miles on it, and the oil pump was well within tolerance, but I changed it anyway since I was there.

3. watercooled Forum Member

Firstly check you have the right senders in the right location and the correct colour wires to those senders on your filter mount ,also what grade of oil are you running ?,my experience is a quality 20/50 high zinc dino oil or atleast something rated for the winters you have,don't really go with a bad oil pump but a blocked strainer is possible if the motor has poor oil change history .
    End of the day you could screw in a mechanical gauge and hose on to the filter housing,worth the cost of these parts to a replacement or rebuilt engine,a test @ idle will be a "tell all " ,good luck and cheers.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

swap the oil switch on the side of the head to the oil filter housing, there will be a spare oil tapping you can use. if the problem stops, you may have worn cam caps which drops the pressure at the head even if pressure is good at the bottom end. ask me how I know :lol:

an oil pressure gauge testing at head and also at filter housing will tell you for sure one way or another of course

5. Bill Zuchero New Member

Replaced both sensors and problem magically went away. Thank you all!!!