Old School MPF - System 2400 R...

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Zender Z20, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Could stand to be corrected, but I think a lot of the data sites you find on-line originated from the info. and schematics contained in this earlier generation ' Microfiche' system.

I certainly remember them being used at my local VW parts dept.

Got this one donkey's years ago, just as a curiosity more than anything, but the seller didn't pack it well so arrived with the 2 x glass trays in bits.

Put it in the loft as a consequence and forgot about it until a few days ago. What prompted me to get it out again was that 7Zap seems to be disappearing, and this was the analogue version of it.

Had gotten used to 7Zap over the past 2 years while doing the MK2 and I know there's others out there but I'm so accustomed to it and could whizz around finding the stuff I need quite easily... this time no one can take it away!

Came with a few hundred 'sheets' covering masses of stuff, though couldn't really go through it up to now because of the broken parts.

Think I've tracked those down though, good old eBay... amazing world we live in that allows you to track down 40+ year old parts in a few minutes!

Anyhow, watch this space if you're interested in old tech. plan is to give it a clean / get it up and running again.

1.jpg

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

We used to use similar thing in the Ford dealerships before PCs were a thing.

KeithMac likes this.
  3. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Zender, you do realise you now have a sworn duty to sit by that machine waiting for obscure questions to come your way don't you?

4. Zender Z20

Hope I haven't over sold it!

...even I have it's not a problem. The forum has given me plenty, couldn't have completed the MK2 otherwise, so only right to give a little back when you can.

stephen stanyer likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

might be some gold in there somewhere, I'd be interested if you had any MSP sheets for mk1/2 golf might be able to fill out our options decoder post as even the oldest copies of ETKA are incomplete :(

6. Zender Z20

Parts got and now at the mercy of the post, will update when it's hopefully fired up.

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Quality bit of old skool tech. I hope you find some good stuff. Damn I remember the parts people looking at them

8. Zender Z20

You know, there seems to be a bit of a following for this sort of stuff and it's very much alive and kicking... would remind you of folk who prefer vinyl over CD's or streaming.

Have very easily been able to source a new lens, switches and some other parts. If you check the likes of eBay there's a stack of them up for sale at any given time, some fetching serious money too... who'd have thought?

costel1969 likes this.
  9. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Loving this return to old school part finding.

10. Zender Z20

Well... for those of you still holding your breath (not), here it is.

Finally got a glass plate made up, located a second lens and sorted out a dodgy switch amongst other things.

It works, after a fashion, full pages aren't uniformly in focus and it's all a bit rickety, but then again it's probably 40 odd years old and presumably worked hard for a living in some dealership.

If anyones thinking 'great, you can check this or that for me' think again... the microfiche sheets are in no order and short of wading through each one there's no way of knowing what is where.

In time I'll set a side the ones I think'll be relevant as I find them and may be able to track stuff down more easily as a result.

These are just random grabs from one marked "1975-76 Golf"

1975.jpg 1975a.jpg

oldnick likes this.
  11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

We used these in the 90's for bikes, had folders full of the Microfiche cards.

12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I've just stepped back in time.... Great work there, it will pass the time