Passat B6 opinions.

Discussion in 'Passat' started by mk1 valver, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

My Folks are thinking of getting a 2007 Passat 2.0Tdi 140 and i just wanted to know peoples opinions of them.
    Are there any common faults I should make them aware of?
    Do they use the same multi link suspension as the Audi's, as my Dad hates the design, saying they are a pain to fix, and once they start to wear all the bushes go.

Cheers.

2. Mifkif New Member

Over on UK Passats the general feel for the B6 is not a good one. There will be 1,000's out on the road that have had miles of trouble free motoring, but it would appear that more and more B6's are starting to fail.

The injectors seems to be a big problem on one of the variants.

Like with all cars though you pay your money you take the chance. Most 'techies' would advise you to go for a late B5.5 tdi and run that instead of heading down the B6 route.

Your call though....

Matt

3. Tall Paul Forum Member

I was just about to post the same thread! I've been reading some nightmare experiences after searching about them. No end of electrical faults experienced and expensive to fix too. Had a drive of an estate the other day, nice inside although the quality looked a bit patchy. During the test I tried to make rapid progress in 2nd and it shat itself, drove home in limp mode. Needless to say I didn't buy it.

Almost everything is electric, even the handbrake, as found in the Phaeton. Just looked like 1000's of stuff to repair if it went wrong. Think I'll opt for the B5, although they are ins grp 12, the B6 grp 9, which I can't understand?

4. Tall Paul Forum Member

Now I've been looking at Mondeo estates, don't know whether i can look at that log while driving though....

5. Martin Ed New Member

Have had a B5.5 and currently running a B6. Both on Sport spec, B6 handles and rides a lot better, plus TDI CR is one heck of a lot quieter and smoother than 1.9 TDi 130 - sometimes miss waking the neighbours with a diesel clatter on a winters morning - especially when they've been partying into the early hours - that's another story!!! Front suspension is too soft on B5.5, so bottoms out on the undertray on bumpy country roads when you're going for it, I think I had the undertray re-fitted about 3 times in the 20k miles I had it for.

As previously mentioned, you pays your money and take a punt. I bought the B6 new and its done 75k miles without anything major going wrong, but I hear of particulate filters on the newer CR engines getting blocked if you only go on short runs (mine spends 90% of its time on motorways).

6. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

like most vw/audi tdi engines will go into limp mode
    at some point
    i have a 03 mundano....cause i didnt want a 150k miles audi etc for 4k+
    i paid 2k for 65 mile 130 tdci...wish i had looked harder for the 6 speed varient.
    bits are cheaper than vw too

7. KenBarlow Forum Member

Common for injector failure in the 140 tdi and 170 tdi models.
    I used to run a B6 140 TDi varient, was a good car but wasnt as good on fuel as I was expecting tbh.
    3 months into me having mine, my manager decided to get the saloon version, which he still has and is very pleased with.
    it went in a few months ago for a recall on the injector problems, (he didnt notice anything up with his) but now is happy that his MPG has increased. (also had it remapped to around 180bhp)

And to be fair (although i think its cheating...) it does take off pretty well.

there is a lot of info on the vwaudiforum.co.uk