picture of mk2 8v power rohr ???

Discussion in '8-valve' started by supercharged999, Mar 20, 2007.

1. VRSteve Forum Member

oh and i will add to that .... steve at powercrazy took 4 hours to time the engine immaculately (cam/crank/timing) and this mean my car idles with no lumpyness wat so ever and this is the most vital thing. we found the VW timing marks to be nearly 5 degrees out ... no wonder 2E 8vs are supposedly rubbish!!!

2. Phil. Forum Junkie

very interesting... You would have thought VW wouldn't get that one wrong.

Thats an impressive spec list I must say. What is the duration of the Kent 285 cam? I thought they numbered their cams differently in that the number does not relate to the duration.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if the timing marks were out, surely this would have been picked up a long long time ago.

id actually like to have chase with your car just to see if all you say is true [:D]

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

when the car is next on the rollers with the modified manifold, please post the results as i may start chopping up my manifold if the gain are worth it?

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

What's the total total cost of the engine up to the present day (inc tuning etc)?

215bhp from a NA 8v.....Hmmm?

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

would that inlet manifold fit the older 8v's say the DX and EV ones? or would it not work with k jet?

7. seanlazyass Forum Member

My thoughts too Mike. That spec list, if it is complete wouldn't seem to add up to those quoted figures.

Steve- What size are the valves? Compression ratio?

Have you run the car on the rollers with and without the FSE?

8. VRSteve Forum Member

it runs standard valves, bigger valves tend to push the torque to far up the rev range for an 8v to benefit from it as it cant rev high enough. ive no idea on compression ratio.

uh total cost of engine i wud say is around 4.5k ish so far. but that doesnt include g/box and clutch.

no on paper the spec list shudnt give that much power, but ive spent over 500 on RR sessions to get the omex mapped perfectly.

Do most of u guys run standard chipped ECUs etc or do u use standalone fuel management????

the car will be on the rollers on monday using the modified manifold not TBs so i will post the electronic print out that comes off.

no i havnt run it without the FSE valve, its prob 1 of the best things ive bought.

is the mk2 8v inlet face the same shape as say a mk3 2E engine???

i wish the engine was in a mk1 tho [:^(] my fat a**e mk3 is just toooo heavy

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Doesn't matter how much RR time you have or what engine managment you have, if the engine isn't up to it it won't produce any more power than other tuned engines.

"bigger valves tend to push the torque to far up the rev range for an 8v to benefit from it"

Eh????? explan that?

If anything they would help.....

A lumpy cam would do what you said maybe?

edit:I'm not having a personnel go at you, it just sounds like your repeating something a mechanic has told you.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  10. VRSteve Forum Member

thats cool i know ur not having a go :p this is my first tuned VW ( turbo minis b4) and im learning from scratch from a guy who has built alot of very succesful rally cars so im trusting what he says and the advice he gives. it seems my engine is capable of the power ... ok il question how releiable it'll be as little things keep breaking :p but .....

..... i'm only quoting wat the figure on the screen says when my car is screamin its nuts off on the rollers ....

Im a total beginner at VWs but if u think big valves wud help then il get big valves put in and see wat happens!!! [:D]

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

It's usually a group of things together when doing a head......try the search engine & have a read about head work but if your engine is producing that power i would guess they have done most thing already to it.

12. 82erGTI Forum Member

Interesting... that would have to be a very nicely built engine then... huge power-output (you say that it's 215bhp at the wheels ?)
    Are you sure the head still has standard valves ? [:s] but it's called stage 5 ?

13. VRSteve Forum Member

OOOOOHHH NO 215 bhp is at the flywheel!!! loose about 22% of that i think at the wheels ....[:s]

with the head that i have there are no set parameters to what each stage is. The guy who does the work takes each invidual head/engine/build etc on its own merit and works with thatand the customer not wat a spec list says. i know its got standard valves because i bought everything brand new for it. (valves/seals etc)

ive read threads on here ( i think its called "whats the fastest car uve kept up with" ) where you fellas have been discussing the idea of racing another car and who is trying and who isnt ..... well ive just come back down the A358 this morning and was flat out with a Lotus Elise chasing me, now ive always thought these to be fairly rapid light little things ... but when we got to the roundabout and the guy wound down his window and shouted that he cudnt catch me .... i wud say he was trying .... so is that some idea of the grunt of my engine????? or are elise's actually Loads Of Trouble Usually S**t

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

You have double the bhp of an elise....go figure.

15. VRSteve Forum Member

yeh prob double the weight to .... go figure

16. seanlazyass Forum Member

Myself and I think Mike(?) run K-star which is a piggy back ecu with mappable ignition and fueling.

99% of people I've come across who know much about engines usually say these are a waste of time and are a marketing gimmick!

Im not meaning to insult you but I've never heard of an engine tuner using one before.

Your ideas with re-engineering the inlet manifold etc, are all very respectable and interesting so keep up the good work.

I just hope this next rolling road session will surprise me!

Ps. What rpm are you making 215bhp at? Tell me that and I'll tell you what torque you're engines making. ;)

17. seanlazyass Forum Member

I think the old base level elise had ~ 120bhp, so that would be why.

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Elise's come into their own through the very twisty bits.

Can't wait to see your car at a RR mind as i am a big 8v fan.

19. VRSteve Forum Member

i dont know wat rpm it makes 215 at, i only had the bodies on for a week, i dont run them all the time, with the omex i can change looms and the map and run bodies or normal inlet as i wish.

so if the FSE valves are a waste of time .... how else do u get higher pressure into the fuel rail if you keep the standard pressure regulator???? or am i missing something obv here [:s]

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

there is a RR day at stealth in a few weeks. you should bring it along. always good to compare cars on the same dyno etcc