Pierburg 1B3 leaking from "blanked" fuel return

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Volks42, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Volks42 Forum Member

Hello,

My golfs Pierburg 1B3 carb sprouted a leak yesterday! Was coming out of a blanked off fuel pipe with a screw in the end. Not sure it was original or a previous owners bodge.
    I resealed it today and then realised it's the fuel return. Previous owner blanked it but not sure why.

Question is, where should it connect to as the fuel purge reservoir already has a return to the tank. See below pictures, not sure how this is meant to be connected? Should I remove the purge reservoir altogether?

Main concern is both it was leaking and the fact the excess fuel should be going back to the tank, so the cars probably running rich!

Black pipe on the right was leaking/already blanked off.

[​IMG]

Reservoir already has a return connected to the fuel tanks return?

[​IMG]

Wondering if I can put a Y piece in and connect both carb return and reservoir return to the tanks return pipe?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok squinting at the diagrams thats how its supposed to be, you should have a cap 049127535 -> 079133369 held in place with a hose clip rather than a jubilee

3. Volks42 Forum Member

Ah interesting. Thanks Jonny! Any idea why it's leak like it has done? Feels like if it's got excess fuel it shouldn't go through the carb?

Then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about!

4. rubjonny

probably just split/degraded with age, and/or non-fuel safe or cheap hose used

5. rubjonny

the proper cap is 4:12+VAT from VW, they are just a blank without the screw in the end so you can see its not original

6. Volks42 Forum Member

Ah fantastic, thanks! Was wondering if a previous owner had blanked it due to fuel issues but I'll try it with the official blanking cover first.

Thanks again!

7. Volks42 Forum Member

Hey Jonny, do you have a link to that? Only ones I can find are on eBay and come from Greece, so 20 quid postage is a bit steep

8. rubjonny

phone your local VW parts department ;)

9. Volks42 Forum Member

Haha simple answer. I didn't think they'd stock a part for a 40 year old far!