Pierburg 2E2 Carb sensor?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Manish, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Manish New Member

Hi Trying to get me Pierburg 2e2 Carb working on my MK2 golf 1.6 Driver.

Does anyone know what this sensor/solenoid thing is?

Ive seen a few but they seem to vary in size.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

No picture?

3. Manish New Member

Yeh sorry, Didn't let me post before. Highlighted in yellow

P1010754 copy_zpszjse7vwz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2022
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Temp sensor for the auto choke I'd say

5. Manish New Member

Hmmm it’s properly sucked on there. Don’t think it’s ever been taken off hahahah

Just replaced all the vac lines on the back and checked that everything is working, except for that sensor. The 3point valve would fully retract when started and the car would idle ( on choke). Then when warm, it would just die.

thought it may be down to a vac leak. Checked the rubber mounting too. No cracks.

Guess I’ll put it back in the car and see what happen. Thanks for the info!

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

7. Manish New Member

Thanks rubjonny. Damn should have gone through all the pages of that post first.

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Try cleaning the little slot in the side of the idle air adjuster tube (vertical tube sticking up from top, next to primary barrel). May need to remove the whole tube to do so, as the slot is low down on the least accessible side IIRC.
    Check that the hole in the top of the emulsion tube isn't blocked if you remove the tube to clean the slot.
    There is a small o-ring at the base of the tube, which may well be 'fragile/tired/unrecognisable as an o-ring' by now.

9. Manish New Member

Checked the slot at the side of the air adjuster tube. No blockage. O-ring is still there but I replaced it just to be safe. Thanks for the suggestion EZ_Pete

Good news got the 3 point unit is woking now However still not done.

The connectors to the TTV and Idle Overrun Control valve are not getting 12V anymore. They were before, think I must have shorted something. Fuse 15 in my CE2 fusebox was blown, replaced that but still no 12V. Dman.....This is going to take a while

10. rubjonny

check if its blown again, maybe whatever caused it to pop is still shorted out

11. Manish New Member

Yup got the 12V back! fuse blew again, I traces it back to a loose ground. Now it's fine. Just need to set the Fast idle. That should stop it from stalling when hot.

Unfortunately my 1.6 driver doesn't have a rev counter in the cluster, so I had to hook up an aftermarket one to see where the rpms are.

She seems to idle at around 1000rpm and still dies when warm...should idle at at 950 rpm. Almost like shes fuel starved. Revs are erratic.

somethings not right...maybe leads or coil?

Timing is sport on

12. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Someone famous once said "most carb faults are really ignition faults" or words to that effect, so yeah, check out everything ignition-related.

13. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Is the vac advance working on the dizzy? You can check that the diaphragm holds vac by just putting another bit of hose on there, sucking and blocking it with your tongue, see if it keeps sticking to your tongue. Then check back towards vac source renewing any dodgy bits of hose as you go.

14. Manish New Member

Hi sorry its been a while.

Ok so I can con firm that the dizzy is holding vacuum.

Noticed that when the car is OFF the 3/4 unit is plunger is at 14.5mm...correct
    When the car is started the 3/4 unit plunger retracts to 8.5mm...correct however when its retracted, it isn't even touching the fast idle screw?!! should it be?

15. rubjonny

next step is check everything in my guide to make sure the basic carb systems are all working fine. if its still not running quite right then you can download the haynes carb manual from my signature link which goes into greater detail checking and resetting the internal linkages if someone has been in there and fiddled with it

16. Golf1800 New Member

Hi,
    Please could you send me the link for the Haynes carb manual? I've read several posts mostly from yourself to try and solve why my 3 point unit isn't extended when cold overnight causing no 2k raise when cold just a lumpy idle till it gets warm(2e2)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

17. rubjonny

Golf1800 likes this.
  18. Golf1800 New Member

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.