Pierburg or Weber

Discussion in 'Engines' started by squibby, Dec 23, 2003.

1. DarrenH Forum Member

the manual choke on the weber is actually just a quadrant shaped mechanism that opens the primary throttle slightly and closes the choke butterfly simultaneously. i removed the choke butterfly totally, leaving the choke cable only operating the primary throttle.

free cruise control !!

2. VdubNash Forum Member

Def go for Weber!

Best money I've spent on the car so far ;)

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i recon i might get one,

worth the money then?

tim

4. VdubNash Forum Member

Definitely worth the money I think - I wasted 50 trying to service the old Pierberg; the Weber cost 170 and is loads better.

If u go for one its well worth getting it setup on a rolling road to get the most out of it. Also an idea to buy a new carb mounting block for 20ish while the carbs off.
    Edited by: VdubNash

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

how much was the RR?

did you buy your webber new? or would it be ok getting a recon one?

tim

6. VdubNash Forum Member

The Weber was new; fitting 70 with rolling road 50.

7. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

ok cheers

8. drew Forum Member

I appreciate the comments 'Golden' has made, but my experience with the pierburg 2e2 and 2e3 was nothing but trouble on a Clipper, Driver and a Jetta GX. They all suffered the same recurring symptoms and I do subscribe to the view that the pierburg carbs were over engineered. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as indeed, mk1 and mk2 Golfs are 'over engineered', but in the case of the carb it is too complex for the application in question.

The direct fit weber replacement, correctly jetted, gives better throttle response, better economy and more performance even when compared to a new correctly setup pierburg.

I know because I went through the whole sorry escapade with my 1.8 clipper (same engine as the later driver and Jetta GX).

Get the weber, it is a better solution for these cars. (Also applies to the 1.6 driver and Jetta TX).

My Clipper showed a 10 bhp improvement on a rolling road on a like for like comparision.

Cheers,

Drew.

9. mark25 Forum Junkie

i had a weber conversion on my mk2 driver, the biggest difference was on light throttle response. This "could" mean the weber is providing more vacuum to the vac' advance unit than the 2e2 meaning the power difference is down to ignition timming, rather that the carb' itself. only a suggestion!!! the manual choke is a BIG advantage in my opinion, as the weber hardly needs it, unless there's snow on the ground.
    M.

10. pravkara In Delete Queue

Hello,

Anyone know which K&N bolt on will fit the 32/34 weber carb?

Cheers
    Prav

11. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Ask K&N on their website.
    I did this for an old car.
    They emailed me the kit number and the nearest place I cold buy one from.

12. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

hello folks

i've had the weber conversion done to my clipper, but noticed a vaccuum pipe missing from the dizzy....is there supposed to be one there? or should it be blanked off if anything?

thanx in advance

Prax

13. DarrenH Forum Member

the inlet manifold sucks the distributor. therefore the distributor end is fine left open.

the stub on the carb which is normally connected to the vacuum line, is probably blocked at the carb

14. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

cheers Oddball.[:D]

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Actually - this is nothing to do with the carb - the vacuum comes from the same line as the brake servo via a one way valve - it should be there.

16. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

u kidding me? so wot are the symptoms if its not there?

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Basically it runs crap!!!

Feck knows why it has been removed - you should see a one way valver on the right hand side of the head with a line to the inlet manifold, and a big thick plastic tube that gies back and across to the brake servo - there will probably be a spare little connector on that which goes to the vacuum on the distributor.

Cant find a pic of it.

18. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

Cheers Andy

That probably explains all the popping noises i've been getting thru the exhaust whilst coming off accelerator pedal??? [:$] [:$] :lol: :lol:

Prax

19. tomlaw Forum Member

BTW You can get weber replacement carbs from Euro car parts and GSF, around the 170 quid mark without postage.
    All those stupid vaccuum hoses get old and split and the green bellows start playing up, and the waxstat throws its toys, throw it away and get a weber! :p

20. WAUOla Forum Member

Greetings!
    Since quite a few carb companions here, I thought I'd just ask.
    I am offered a 32/34 DMTL replacement kit for around €200, which seems fair.

The thing is however, my Pierburg runs fairly OK with only some remarks on a flat spot at around 3750rpms or so. It may be due little use and things clog up, I don't know.

Now I plan to put this 1.6 with a 268 camshaft (and at a later stage 4-2-1 and 1.8 bottom end - I know I need to re-jet then), will I be running out significantly and a 34/36 will be just insufficiently anyhow? Read a nice German book on classic Golf tuning, and its claimed a 110 hp potential in the Pierburg 2E* carbs, so not sure if investing makes sense (although 2E* is 28/32mm butterflies from what I understand it to be?) ...