Please help my G60.still not right - UPDATE VIDS PAGE 5

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

its fecked. [:^(]

i dont even know how to describe the problem,its weird.

started it up today and it ran like crap on tickover,went to rev it and it just died.

sort of kept it running while messing with the throttle,the isv was sucking stupid amounts of air and a poo load of smoke was coming out of the rocker breather and oil cap (when took off).

it started farting? [:s] and i dunno,backfiring through the isv,presumably in the inlet manifold too?

theres also a loud intermittent tick/click from the inlet manifold?

its just feckin weird and it gets worse...

while ticking over and doing the farting business/smoking out of breather/isv sucking,it just cleared up!

so i started driving it home,and it just wouldnt go.

foot to the floor made it die.

please help,im supposed to be going to scotland in it soon,but im just getting depressed by the friggin thing now.... [8(]

im actually willing to get the car back out the garage,drive back to the unit and try anything that anyone can suggest,im willing to try anything....

weather it be now/midnight/1am,2am,3am im not bothered,i just wanna sort it. [8(]

neil. [:^(]

Edited by: riley

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. octane Forum Junkie

no air leak on the throttle body have you?
    was it fine when you left it?

3. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

HT leads/spark plugs ok?

Coil maybe?

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers guys,

new t-body gaskets,and new dizzy cap/rotor/leads/plugs....

blue temp sensor is new and lambda is tested and working fine.

it did do the farting thing before jetta's m8,but its a whole lot worse with the smoke pouring out the breather and the full throttle flatness... [8(]

getting tired of it tbh...

5. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

I don't know much about G60s tbh, sorry I can't be of more help.

Perhaps the new chip is duff...

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

no probs m8 :)

im wound up because i dont know enough about em myself tbh,if it was a mk1 or a valver on injection or carbs id probably be alright [8(]

i thought about the new chip too,but it did do it before just not as bad.

honestly its been nowt but trouble,water pump going in the first 2 weeks etc,i just dont think its worth being in debt for [8(]

neil.

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

anyone in the north west fancy a look? :lol: [:^(] [:^(]

btw,i even took off the hose from the throttle body,so it wasnt running boost,and it was the same.

guessing this eliminates any charger/intercooler problems?

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

what about my throttle body?

dont think it should be a problem? [8(]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

did you take that 10p out??at least its shinney

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Main problems that come up time and time again are bad grounds to engine, sensors and guffy connectors, also check the vac/boost pipe hasn`t being knocked off either the TB or the ECU. Smoke spewing out of the breather sound`s a bit serious, a piston fault (cracked ringland?), although that`s worst case.

Are you sure the timing belt hasn`t slipped a tooth or 2, and have you checked the timing in basic settings mode 6dbtdc? dizzy`s tigh, rotor`s ok? pull the plugs and have a look, also the injector wiring can get quite brittle and snap ocasionally. Have you tried hotwiring the fuel pump relay to rule that out?

Could possibly be the intank pump`s failed?

Do you have any sort of AFR meter in the car?

One last thing, check the bat voltage with the car running, needs to be in the 13`s for digi1 to run anywhere near right.

11. stevef Forum Member

I would start with a compression check if you have a gauge. If smoke is coming out of the breather it is either rings or head gasket to my mind?

Is there oil in the charger outlet pipe?

Is there an air leak at the inlet manifold gasket or a split in a breather hose?

Just a couple of ideas. Hope they help and good luck!!!

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers keith,

ive cleaned all earths not long ago and replaced the ecu hose with new(exactly 1 meter long).

aye,the heavy smoking concerned me,but it dosnt use a single drop of oil [:s]

i thought about the timing belt,does it seem a possability? would these be the syptoms? [:$]

i dont have a timing light,dont suppose anyone near me could lend me one? [:$] ill come get it right now!

injector wiring seems ok,fuel pump primes,not sure about the in tank pump,how do i check this?

the duostyling afr read ok-rich at idle and with steady throttle and lean when letting off...

cheers for the help so far :)

neil. [:^(]

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers m8,no oil in the charger outlet,ive just spent 800 on full blend and other bits [:^(]

new gaskets too.

14. stevef Forum Member

You can borrow my timing light if you live near Stalybridge!

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Have you checked the condition of the WOT switch on the tb (this wouldn`t be a problem with the SNS no-lag chips though)? Also worth trying a known good ECU on it just to rule that out.

Digi1 doesn`t like WOT with vacuum, it gets confused.

What condition is the pipe in from the fuel pressue reg?

Easiers way to check the pumps would be to use a pressure guage really, and you need to isolate exeactly what the noise is that`s comming from the inlet manifold area.

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

stalybridge manchester m8?

im in burnley,but i get lost very easily [:$]

thanks a lot for the offer!

17. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

the wot switch clicks,and if i press it myself then it drops rpm,so thats ok i think?

fuel pressure reg pipe is also new [:^(]

i dunno what to do,im totally out of cash so i cant take it anywhere to be looked at and i dont have fuel pressure gauges etc [8(]

thanks,neil.

18. stevef Forum Member

Yes Stalybridge near Manchester. The offer is open for the timing light and a compression gauge if you need them.

It sounds like KeithMac is aware of mods to you engine and as I have never played with a G60 I am sorry I am of little help.

Best practice in my experience is to do all the basic checks first then work your way through all recent work to ensure you have not installed yourself a stealth problem. Fitting new gaskets doesn't always mean that they are providing a good seal and I have spent hours in the past checking the valve timing on my 16v following a belt and follower change a sit wouldn't run bellow 3000rpm. It turned out to be due to me not refitting the servo hose to the inlet manifold correctly. A simple problem that drve me to near breaking point if you know what I mean!

A bit of an essay that. Sorry!

Good luck!

19. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

no probs m8,again thanks a lot for the offer!
    really appreciate it! :thumbup:

i would come for them now,but i dont think its fair on you really,you prolly have work tommorow and wotnot where as i dont really care,i cant sleep not knowing its running like shit [8-}]

would this pressure reg be any use for checking the pressure? [:s] i have one new in the box,if someone says 'yes,it will give me some sort of idea,somehow?' then ill be off upto the unit! [:$]

[​IMG]

cheers guys,neil.
    Edited by: riley

20. stevef Forum Member

I think that fuel pressure on Digi is around 40PSI above inlet manifold pressure so that guage will not work I don't think.