Polo 6N 16V cambelt inspection - thoughts please

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by macp, Feb 23, 2013.

1. macp New Member

I took a look at my cambelt today im no expert but it looks ok to me what do you think ?

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

I will always instinctively change a cambelt if I have no evidence of it being done recently in the history no matter what the belt looks like.

3. macp New Member

Just been out and had another look there is no fraying and the belt looks fine underneath no cracking whatsoever. You can also still see writing on the belt. I think Im going to risk it for a bit or until I can find the spons. Sorry if that comes across as if I am asking for advice then ignoring it.

4. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

I have probably spent loads of money in the past needlessly doing cambelts:cry:

5. macp New Member

I have a quandry that I would really appreciate some advice on.I got a quote of 250+ VAT to do both belts, tensioners & waterpump which isnt bad but its virtually half the cars value.If like me you didnt know if the cambelt needed changing would you just leave it and if it went bang just sell the car off as a non runner?

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

If it hasn't been done in 4 years then change it. Not worth the rest. The 6 year old belt came off my Audi and still looked in good nick but not worth it.

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

If the belt goes on one of these engines it can take out nearly all the valves(8x6 for intake & about 8x9 for exhaust). I put it off on mine "I'll do it next week", then it snapped. It can cost about 250 in parts alone if that happens. Get the cambelt changed, it adds a little value to the vehicle or at least makes it easier to sell when the time comes if you can say "new cambelt last year", this gives the buyer confidence.

Your Polo looks really good, I don't care if the market value is 500, but one of these in good condition with low miles as yours is a very good car. It looks good, is fun to drive, can be good on fuel if you don't rev the nuts off it, cheap to tax, cheap to insure, comfy yet still fun to drive on B roads...

8. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Is there any sign of oil leak from the cam cover gasket? Looks like there's something there in the last picture (may just be dirt) but hard to tell from the image.

Leaking gasket >> oil on the belt >> potential failure

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

they all look okay until they snap , if you dont have history on it just replace it and then you know

10. macp New Member

Thanks all I will get it changed just as soon as I can raise the spons :thumbup:

No leaks that I can see Ben.

11. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

do the tensioner and pulleys too,had these fail at workshop,:o

12. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

The belt, tensioner, and pulley are included in the SKF kit from ECP.

13. macp New Member

Your right Ben they are but I note only 1 belt where the garage were saying 2 belts need changing ?

One last question I note Euro Car Parts list 2 brands of waterpump which I assume people would also change. They list Circoli & KWP is there any preference ?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  14. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

They may be thinking of the later 1.4 16v engine, which has a timing belt connecting the crank and one large cam pulley, and another belt connecting the two smaller cam pulleys.

The AFH 1.4 16v in your Polo has one timing belt that goes around both cam pulleys, the waterpump and the crank pulley.

15. macp New Member

Ah yes Ive seen the later engine never occurred to me they were referring to that engine. Great answer much appreciated thanks Ben.