Polo 6N 16V

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by macp, Feb 22, 2013.

1. macp New Member

Afternoon all just bought this a 1999 VW Polo 1.4 16V which seem quite rare and it was cheap. I got it with 58,000mls & 4 virtually new tyres a 12mth ticket and a tidy interior. There is a little bit of corrosion here and there but nothing serious just needs a little tidying. Overall though it looks fine. I was quite surprised by the performance and torque for such a small & revvy motor. So I got it home and gave it a bit of a spruce up. Used my multipurpose cleaner and a soft brush to remove all of the mildew and dirt. Replaced the screws & caps in the numberplates and a new tax holder. Cheap & insignificant but freshens things up a bit. Cleaned up the throttle body and MAF using carb cleaner which cost me nothing to do and I always think its worth doing. Thats it for now thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Polo looks good from the photos, I have a 1999 one also, but with nearly triple the miles & with an exterior that is not so tidy.
    I really like the engine as it is quite an angry little unit, likes being revved & 100hp is pretty good for a 1.4L.
    Have you a picture of your engine bay as the AFH engine doesn't have a MAF, so I am curious to see if you have a different engine in there. :thumbup:

3. macp New Member

Cheers Ben
    I had my first long run out in it today and that little 16v unit is so willing & eager and for me plenty fast enough for normal road use. It reminds me of my old Mk2 Golf GTi which is a really good thing. Mine aint perfect Ben it needs some TLC to the bodywork and wait until you see the engine bay (below). But its all good as I will enjoy bringing it back to its former glory.

[​IMG]

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Best get looking for a recon gearbox...you'll need it eventually...

5. macp New Member

Yep I heard about the gearbox issues not really worried to be honest. If it happens it happens :)

6. macp New Member

I did reply to your post Ben but im just waiting for admin to approve it. I guess because there is a pic attached ?

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Mine is on original gearbox at 150,000 and the box is fine.
    Folk say they are a weak point but doesn't seem so on mine.

8. macp New Member

So no MAF in the 1.4 16V I just assumed I had cleaned it [:$]

9. macp New Member

A filthy engine bay

[​IMG]

10. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

It has a MAP sensor, which is located on the side of the intake manifold near the brake servo. :thumbup:

11. macp New Member

Finally engine bay pic so I here is another you wont get lol

[​IMG]

And another just because its a good pic imo :)

[​IMG]

12. macp New Member

So now to the clutch & gearbox (no surprise) which I would appreciate some feedback on.

On cold mornings I can hear a rattle from the gearbox which disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed.

I note the clutch pedal is stiff to push down not really tough but stiffer than it should be.

When accelerating & decelerating through the gears I note there is a gravelly sound which at first I thought was a blowing inlet manifold. Its not loud you cant hear it when cruising at speed and the gearchange is totally fine but I wonder if its the first signs of the gearbox giving up ?

So with cambelt needing replacement we are starting to look at around 800 before I start into replacing worn suspension bushes etc. I am wondering if its worth me throwing this kind of cash at it ?

The engine is very willing and full of life though and I can imagine with all the work done it would be superb especially as that little 16v unit thinks its at least a 1.8. So would you throw money at it ?

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Gearbox is almost certainly on its way...

Mine went through a period of a few months making a variety of noises then spat out most of its oil, but was quiet again. Another few months past, and I decided to do an oil change. Nothing to note from the oil condition, but a few short weeks after that I lost 5th, and the box sounded decidedly unhealthy, so I got rid.