polo 9n3 gti tuning options

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by quinny, Jul 19, 2011.

1. quinny New Member

Hi I have just bought a polo 9n3 gti in candy white, I am really enjoying the car but 150 bhp isn't enough and doesn't do the car justice. I am about to fit a forge front mount inter-cooler and a miltek full exhaust system, panel filter and then get it remapped. has anyone fitted any of these parts and can they tell me if they make a big difference? thanks quinny:)

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I don`t know about the Polo specifically, but those mods are pretty much standard 1.8t tuning territory, and should release quite a few ponies.

The re-map is where you`ll make the biggest gains, and the uprated intake, intercooler and exhaust will make the best of it. They won`t give massive gains on their own however.

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

You should be the right side of 210bhp with all those mods and a decent remap.

My 9N3 GTI made aabout 195bhp with jus a custom-code phase 1 map.

4. quinny New Member

is that with all the stock parts? that's quite an increase then did you notice much difference after remap?

5. 9N3 Turbo New Member

No t sure if you still have this car but i have modified my 9n3 GTI and happy to answer any questions or point you to things i have done. :)

6. Agrocr0c New Member

Hi. I bought the same car and put it on a rolling road before changing it. It came with 140bhp some 9 bhp down on stock 149. This can be for many different reasons but fuel cleaner is a good solution.

Then, I got a stage 1 remap. In order for the engine to cope with the increased performance - and to give extra performance - I installed a smooth turbo inlet pipe (TIP) that gets rid of the stock elbow pipe, and a diverter valve to deal with increased turbo.

These small changes - 200 for remap, 80 for TIP and same for diverter valve, and this takes the car from 140 to 175bhp ( or approx 184bhp on a Polo GTI that came with the requisite 149bhp in the first place!).

Now, in the dry, my 0 - 60mph is 6.5 seconds and I have reached 145mph VMAX (be careful of this as the stock VMAX is 134mph. When you exceed 140mph, the ECU is notified and records the event. I believe this affects the warranty with VW unless it is re-flashed). MPG is around 25-29 avg.

It is only after those small steps that I would consider an exhaust. You dont really need an intercooler to reach the first stage map maximum, the two part stock one is fine. You need a decent exhaust system and a professional map on top of what I have and youll happily be flying around the 205bhp mark. The cost of the exhaust and map and small components will probably come out the same, maybe 100 quid more than an intercooler (fitted) on its own. Anintercooler is reqd later if you go further with your build.

edit: and just remember for safety purposes, once you start putting intercoolers, exhausts, panel filters, tips, diverter valves etc and the speed/accel increases, you may want to consider larger brakes on the little polo. Audi TT discs are recommended as they fit the car and are much larger312mm(?), making you much less likely to kill yourself.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. aaronhtid New Member

Nice post above thanks for that.

8. dcg9n3 New Member

Alright fella, was wondering if you still had your 9n3 by any chance ?? I currently own one atm.
    I have a few questions and am in need of some advice... would be appreciated if you have the time!