Polo gt??

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by eamon1.3, Jan 30, 2006.

1. eamon1.3 Forum Member

What do you all think of these wee things?? Was thinking of changing the 1.3 golf in september when the insurance is up, im kinda getting bored of its slowness tbh.

So how do you all rate the performance of the polos?? Another option is to drop a 1.6 into the golf, if the insurance doesnt screw me, and tinker with that fora couple of years. I also wouldnt mind a scirocco gt but have a feeling Mr.Insurance wil tell me to feck off (being 19 in Northern Ireland sucks)

Or do you think i should go for the easy option and live with the golf untill next summer then get something faster when I'll have 2yrs ncb (or my mum will anyway)

Descisions decisions!!!

2. bula_82 Forum Junkie

Lol, I want an R32 but Mr Insurance is telling me to f**k off aswell!!!

Get a polo GTI mmm [:D]

Compare that insurance to the 1.6 golf and see if you can justify paying it - if you can then go for it!!

3. Admin Guest

fun little cars [:D] , might be a bit small dropping down from a mk2 golf though.......

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

awesome little cars.

Mine had a 4 branch exhaust and pipercross air filter. kept up with most things. infact I've got the option to buy it back off my mate for 300 in a few weeks when his insurance runs out.

Then I'd have a Polo GT, Golf mk1 and a Rocco mk1

5. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Dont really care about the size, as long as it gets me to university and to work, dont have to shift kids, dogs, mother-in-laws or flat pack furniture about like all you old guys.

Polo gt insurance be much more than 1.3 mk2 insurance?? Hopefully ill only have to pay about 900 in september to keep the golf as it is.

6. cros40 Forum Member

get one, feels as quick as my golf gti, i have one, and its a smashing underated little car, quite torquey, although the handling is crap as standard. :)

7. bula_82 Forum Junkie

I considered a polo gti instead of the golf coz of the insurance - the polo is rated as nearly as quick but the insurance was going to be a good few hundred less (23 in essex and female, I didnt think it would be) :lol:Decent little car, and like I said it you can afford the insurance I'd get it- even if cant mod it for a while its still lovely [:D]

8. eamon1.3 Forum Member

If you say so cros40. Would there be a noticable increase in performance over my mk2?? lol only joking

You think there as fast as an 8v?? Are the engines easy to tune to get a wee bit more go from them??

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

he's talking about a mk3 Polo GT I think. not a GTI or the new GT.

good fun little cars, underrated certainly! Got a pic of my old one's speedo showing 120mph :p

10. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Your right jeff, only got a small budget. Howd you get it up to 120?? Axle stands? broken guages??

ow much do you think you could pick one up for?? Dont mind getting one thats a bit rough, got 4 months off for summer and nothing to do so would like to get one that needs work to keep me busy. Could you pick one up for a coupe of hundred??

11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

i had 120 in mine too!!

you're probably looking between 7-900 for a decent one to be honest.

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

It wasnt me driving (pic from before I bought it) I believe it was going downhill and reading slightly over on the speedo. But thats all, apart from that I believed it after I drove it ;)

Watch out for rust, they suffer worse than most VWs, I think because they were built in spain (?).

13. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

never had a problem with my 91H one for rust [:s]

14. eamon1.3 Forum Member

thought the mk3 polos were pretty solid. All the ones ive seen in scrap yards, there seems to be a lot in scrap yards, have had pretty good body work.

700 is too much for me, thought i could pick one up for a couple of hundred and spend a bit of time getting it up to scratch.

15. peterzr Forum Member

i had a mk2 coupe s and great cars, the 1.6 driver i had wasnt much quicker so i can imagine the gt being more enjoyable to drive than a golf 1.6. i wanted one after my golf but i bought a nova sri instead as i couldnt find a decent GT. silly silly boy

16. eamon1.3 Forum Member

A nova sri?? i hear these are some kind of automobil but i dont believe it myself, all i see as a little pile of rust/crap. :p

17. Admin Guest

i can vouch for that too!
    even if it did slightly over read, i have upset a saxo in one [:D]

18. Phil. Forum Junkie

Good luck finding a decent one here ni NI, they're like hen's teeth.

Just realized you said GT, not G40.

I'll get my coat....
    Edited by: Phil Hall

19. peterzr Forum Member

my thoughts exactly. until i found a mint standard one. i sold it on and later found out it had a 2.0 16v dropped in by some lower order scum, anyway,

not thought of a G40, it will be worth the premium.

Re the GT, are u only after coupe?. not breadvan?

20. eamon1.3 Forum Member

Not really interested in a breadvan, the coupe looks so much better.