Polo GTI 6N2 1.6 wont start HELP ME PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by hirenrs, May 1, 2016.

1. hirenrs New Member

Hi everyone;

Ill keep this as crisp and concise as possible,

I have purchased a W reg polo gti 6n2 as a non runner assuming it was a quick fix and a great run around at the price i paid for it.

The person i bought it off was driving along when it spluttered and cut out, he was towed home by the breakdown rescue person with diagnosed the car with a fuel pump issue.

This was the first thing i checked i heard the pump prime as well as physically disconnecting the black coloured fuel feed pipe to the engine bay located near driver side strut to confirm i had a good feed which i did, i have checked the fuel pump fuse 15A 6th fuse from the left along the bottom row as well as every other fuse,

I checked the relay i opened to cover to visually confirm it stays shut during cranking and it did confirming the relay was powering pump during cranking.

SO i swapped the coil pack of it with another polo in my family which works fine and made no difference same thing.

chucked a new set of plugs in it aswell as a new crank position/engine speed sensor after being convinced by a friend and aa man that he wasnt picking up a engine rpm during cranking but that's based on his knowledge of vws and what he could make from plugging his scanner in but it made no difference the car at all.

The car cranks has spark and fuel to the plugs it splutters as if its about to start and run but it seems at the point where the starter would disengauge something prevents the engine from running and goes back to cranking. There is definately combustion happening but seems like a cut of some sort.

Im a competent mechanic but baffled by this car and its my own!! If anyone is has any suggestions please post them here im going to get to the bottom of this and will keep updating it .

i do not know if it showed any error codes specifically or whether the scanners failed to read the battery was disconnected to reset any fault codes before engine was turned iver after fitting the new cps sensor.

Im really stuck could it be a immobiliser how can u check this?

Anyone round the London harrow area fancy helping out and taking a look,

Thanks in advance

2. Buggirl

Buggirl Forum Member

Sounds like you have tried everything I could have thought of??? Anyone able to help?

3. eightieshatches Forum Member

Are you sure it's pumping enough fuel as my other halfs Audi TT did something very similar.
    The pump would prime and I did have fuel to the rail but it wasn't producing enough pressure to keep it going after initial cranking to start.
    Could be worth checking that out.

4. hirenrs New Member

Thanks for replies guys unsure about the fuel pressure exactly as I don't have any pressure testing equipment but personally I doubt this based on the amount of fuel entering cylinders during cranking it doesn't seem like there's a lack of fuel but obv worth checking i will check and record pressured and post on this thread for anyone else testing pumps etc

5. hirenrs New Member

Think i have however there's a little gremlin sat somewhere in this I cant see !!

6. hirenrs New Member

Anyone in the harrow area hold any good diagnostics knowledge on these polos it's got to the point i need to call for outside help!