Polo GTI - buying one

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by mbradbrook, Feb 14, 2004.

1. mbradbrook Forum Member

Looking at replacing the wife's 1995 Polo 1.6cl with a Polo GTI.

Test drove a black one at a VW dealership this morning. It's a good looking car and comes with a load of kit as standard (xenons, aircon, cd changer etc) but i have to say i was a bit disappointed after the test drive. The salesman (saleskid more like) was making out that i'd be really impressed with the acceleration and performance but i have to say that when i put my foot down it seemed to take an eternity for anything to happen. I realise that its a 16v engine and was waiting for that kick to come in at 5k but it never happened. My mk2 GTI 8v feels far quicker. Of course it might be that it was a duff engine but it sounded ok - what are other peoples experineces of the car?

Does anyone know the web address of the polo gti forum?

The otherthing i've noticed is that every car we've looked at the BBS split rims are always corroded and i know that they are expensive alloys.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Matt
    '95 Corrado VR6
    '90 Golf GTI 8v

2. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Nearly bought one myself about a year ago(Red 3dr X plate 28K FVWSH 8K) but like you, found the test drive to be lacking something! The gearboxs are soft and shite, and the wheel do corrode very quickly, the wheels are replacable under VAG warranty, not sure if there was a recall on the box, but if the car is still under warranty, they will replace it if it goes the way of the pear. A friend of mine works in the workshop of the local dealer and says the number of Polo GTI's they have done boxes on are is unreal! Get the dealer to run the reg plate through the computer, this will show any warranty work carried out on the car!

Take a look at

Performance Polo's

UK Polo Forum

I ended up buying a Mk4 Golf 1.8T, it wasn't much dearer, and although a better car, you can't beat a bit of old Skool. Get her a G40 :lol:

Alan

3. Mikedav Forum Member

The guy who set up Polos Net has a silver X plate 1.4, names Josh - nice guy, he has done loads to his and will be extremely helpful.

Edited by: Mikedav

4. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Mike, Josh has a GTI running nitrous! ;) [:D]

Alan

5. Mikedav Forum Member

Yeah we had a look at the last Cheshire meet, mad little thing with a cool arm switch ;)

6. mbradbrook Forum Member

Thanks Alan for the links. It seems that these GTI's suffer from dodgy clutch mechanisms and gear boxes. Its good to know that i'm not the only one who wasn't impressed by the performance. What i find hard to believe is that the Lupo GTI with the same engine is such a great little car - mind you it does weigh nothing. I would have thought that the Polo would still be fairly quick. Now i fully understand why Evo mag only give it 3 out of 5 stars. The wife said that it didn't feel any quicker than her existing 1.6 Polo and the chassis didn't seem that different either!

Its a shame that she wants 5 doors and a decent sized boot otherwise we would buy a Lupo GTI straight away. We might now start looking at the Mk4 Golf 1.8T (my mum has one and it is a nice car but does seem more long distance sofa than true GTI). ;)

Cheers

Matt