Polo water leak, need HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by fthaimike, Feb 13, 2011.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

My wife's 57 plate (07/11/2007) Polo SE 80 auto has a very wet rear passenger side foot well.

I only noticed it when i spotted some mold on the loose mat & lifted it up to notice the carpet was saturated????

Any idea's?

Boot is dry as is both front wells & the rear driverside one.

I'm thinking the door area but it's hard to tell with all that plastic crap over the sill inside & the underneath of the car has that huge metal shield blocking off direct sight of the floor.

Mike

2. dangermooser New Member

Has the car got aircon??? I know a few VAG cars in the past have suffered from the drain pipe from the A/c blocking and ending up coming into the cabin ???? might not be right but worth looking at

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

It does have aircon though it's not used....

4. dangermooser New Member

Window seal/ rear washer hose could be leaking???

5. degsgti1 Forum Member

Have you had the rear door glass replaced
    not sure if polos have the metal membrane behind the door panel but could be worth checking to see if it's letting water through

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

nope nothing replaced on car, can't notice wet along sill though hard to tell with carpet & due to shape of car i think the front of the rear door & the rear of the front door each half cover the footwell.

7. majic79 Forum Member

there's some plugs on the underside of the shell, one of these could be split and letting road water in under the soundproof matting

Can't think of much else

8. pettsy Forum Member

does the rear wash wipe work?

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

thats one of my guesses or a leaky door, might have to pop it to a friends business to take a look as we have wet weather & the mk1 is in my own garage.

was hoping for a commen fault or something lol.

thanks all

mike

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Right Mike, heres one for you

any signs of damp in the boot area, what I have seen more than once is one of the rear lights have been pulled out to replace a bulb.
    The person undos the wing nut holding on and 'drags' the light off instead of lifting it up and out
    the dragging movment bends the metal where the retainer sits, not allowing the light unit & seal to sit flush with the body letting in water which finds it way into the foot wells often

let us know how it works out, other than that remove the carpet (which I advise you to do anyway) and water test to find the location

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

lifted up the tyre cover & looks bone dry.

phoning the garage tomorrow to see if they have a slot to check it.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

I did notice that when i open the door i get a splash of water onto the floor like it's staying on one of the sills?