Poor gal is dripping all over the shop (2.0 16v)

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by ReluctantApe, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ReluctantApe New Member

I've reconditioned head, got some spangly new parts and pipes and all set to start up today, only thing is there was a pool of coolant on the floor and so had to investigate, after checking all hoses and getting underneath it appeared to come from the water pump, detached all necessary and had a look and yes, it was the gasket at the back of the pump housing (connecting to block), now here's the thing

I can find numerous places selling entire new pumps but they're the 2 pipe ones and mine has 3 (later model I'm guessing being a 93)
    Cant find new housing and doesnt appear anyone sells just the gaskets on their own, any suggestions/ideas?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Er....
    I am sure I will learn something new. A 3 pipe water pump housing?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you have 2 pipes on the pump itself, the 3rd one you have counted is on the thermostat housing not the pump :)

Edit: VW sell the seal seperately, its part number 038121119B. Its the same seal as used for the thermostat housing though so if you can find one of those then you're sorted. I'd also replace the thermostat and flange while you're under there (the flanges can warp). So 2 thermostat seals, stat, flange and you'll be sorted :thumbup:

055121121F - stat flange - 8.78+VAT
    038121119B - stat/pump seal - 2.82+VAT x2
    044121113 - thermostat - 20.51+VAT

AVS do the bits too:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_cooling.php

The AVS thermostat comes with a seal, so just need 1x extra seal for the pump:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=151

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. rubjonny

oh! and if you have just rebuilt the engine check the pump housing is ok. on the 1st abf I installed I used an incorrect bolt in the pas pump bracket and it cracked the waterpump [:$]

5. blis Forum Member

Here's a pic

The two oil cooler/heater matrix channels and the third is the radiator intake before the termostat. Its a separate housing to the actual water pump.
    IMG_3992 (1920x1078).jpg

Take your time and have a good look at the thermostat seat as well and ensure the rubber seal is placed correctly. Toyotec also advised that silicone sealant around the graphite thermostat flange is advised.
    IMG_4007.jpg

PS: After cleaning up the thermostat housing, the leak was spewing out the back of the oil cooler hose. I had to change a knock sensor so I removed the alternator as well.

PPS: Id recommend giving the PAS pump bolts a good clean and do the threads on the block too, mine were very gritty and cleaning made it much easier to install.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. ReluctantApe New Member

Nope, mines definitely different from the one in the pic, the thermostat attaches onto the block underside too, will get some pics in the morning ;)

7. ReluctantApe New Member

Dear god I'm an idiot, 3 pipes indeed!! new pump ordered and on its way, I have been quite well medicated recently so will put it down to that, now I'm off to Ikea to go and stand in all the corners for being such a dunce lol

cheers again

8. rubjonny

where can i get some of that medication :lol: