POOTZ GTI 8v - off to car heaven

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Pootz, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Pootz Paid Member Paid Member

Picked this up cheap last week as it needs a bit of work...but it's a runner and engine sounds sweet so that's a good start.

I've got a fair size list of things to do to it, not including the bodywork, so I'm going to leave it til after Xmas before I start buying anything for it but there are things I can do that won't cost anything in the meantime
    It's a bog standard GTI 8 valve with mismatched lowering kits fitted so that's one thing to change.

Anyway. I'll update things as I go along and get some more pictures later today or tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a 1.8 GL auto which is my daily driver and will keep me happy with my mk2 fix until the GTI is done

[​IMG]

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Good stuff .

Pootz likes this.
  3. Pootz Paid Member Paid Member

Well it's been a long time coming but I've finally started work on the GTI.
    It now runs, drives and stops as it should (almost...needs a new clutch cable)
    Got it started after replacing a water hose and topping up the coolant to be greeted with clouds of smoke from the exhaust......NOT GOOD! or so I thought.
    Turns out, the smoke was just due to it standing for 12 months and condensation had formed which, together with the cold temperature, created clouds.

Anyway, here's a before and after video.

BEFORE...

AFTER...

The videos make it sound a lot worse than it actually is for some reason

4. Pootz Paid Member Paid Member

Few pics too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. Pootz Paid Member Paid Member

Well, unfortunately when I came to lift the carpets to dry them out after loads of rain I discovered that the shell wasn't as solid as first appeared...so I have now broken this golf.
    Some parts are on my GL, some on a mates GTI that he's building and the rest are in the for sale section on here.
    I will however, be looking for another GTI towards the end of the year.

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's a shame .

7. Pootz Paid Member Paid Member

I know. But it's not viable to save it...just as an example as to how rotten it is, I took the rear door card off as I wanted to get the inner window scraper off to hanger it...the old one came away easily enough but still had the top of the door attached to it.