Poss engine swap.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mk2 nas, Jun 11, 2017.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, just wanted to know how much hassle if at all to swap my 1600eg(k jet).
    To a kr 180016v lump as I've got the chance to obtain a good one.
    I've previously changed two engines so know what to do.but will I ecounter anything like wires I havnt
    Got or something like that.
    Mine is the 82 cabrio.
    I would appreciate your advice and comments.
    Also would my current fuel distributer be ok 049 133 353n
    Also 020 g/box
    Thanks.

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

If you can get as much of the KR bits as possible wiring, ecu etc

But simple conversion

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need all the 16v parts from the engine side, the only bits you keep from the 1.6 is the fuel pump and accumulator under the car plus the fuel fitler bracket. then either re-do the main fuel lines, or fit mk1 16v conversion ones as the mk1 metering head sits on the other side of the engien bay to the mk2 one. unless you manage to find a scirocco 16v donor!

wirign loom will need re-doing if you want the full 16v isv control setup, but mk1 guys often just swap the mk1 AAV over instead. then its a case of tweak the mk1 engine loom to suit the new 16v locations and drop the 16v ecu loom in on top. either run the 16v fuel pump trigger to fusebox, or use an 8v kjet fuel relay without a limiter built in. if your rotor arm is the limiter type then you're all set your relay shouldnt have a limiter :)

apart from that the only other issue is the exhaust system, need a mk1 16v conversion manifold unless as above you find a scirocco donor :)