Power Steering Problem

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 2011golfgti, Jun 9, 2021.

1. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

I have a mk2 golf gti 8v 1990 that i converted into a g60 pg engine and i took a steering rack out of a corrado 1991 problem is the power steering is very very light. It shouldnt be so light, someone said to put in the oem pump but it made no difference, and im using the red coloured power steering fluid but im not sure if the rack is from an 8v or 16v or a g60. Is there something you can adjust on the rack to decrease the flow is that possible ? Anything i can do to solve this problem.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Usually it's the pump relief valve that causes that. Hmm.
    You've tried the pump the rack originally had powering it?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the corrado racks are same as mk2 16v and should be heavier than normal, so something isnt right with it. look for restrictors in the return hose from the rack, if you remove those it will make it heavier. its liek a metal valve shoved up the pipe, sometimes with a clip round the outside to hold it in place.

worth getting a full alignment including camber checked

4. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

That's what the seemingly random 'fuel pipe' type clip on mk.3's is for, then. Placed as mentioned, on the return hose before it reaches the reservoir. Sorry to veer off-topic.

5. rubjonny

Yah Nige covered it in his amazing build thread a while ago, mine has aftermarket hydro lines so never had one fitted, that plus 16v rack makes for a real nice drive

6. Tristan

I always thought the Corrado had a faster rack. Interesting.

7. rubjonny

yeah early 4 cylinder ones have the same one as mk2 16v, later 4cyl have different spline like mk3 golf but part is specific to the rado. Corrado vr6 has same rack as mk3 GTI/16v/VR6

'they' say 16v racks are shorter lock to lock, but can find no hard evidence to back this up. its definitely specific rack for mk2 16v and corrado 4 cyl, so if not shorter then must be more sporty feel

8. Tristan

I had a 95 9a Corrado and it definitely felt a lot sharper on the steering than my GTI