Problems getting an Epytec rear gearbox mount to fit an 02J box - help please

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by philip smith, Oct 22, 2022.

1. philip smith New Member

Hi,

First post so please be kind :-)
    Me and my son are doing a 1.8T engine swap with an 02J gearbox on a MK1
    We have bought the full Epytec mounting bracket kit expecting it to all fit just fine !!
    https://epytec.de/en/engine-and-gea...0-1.8-t-02a-gearbox-engine-bracket-set?c=2568.

We have removed the 3 gearbox bolts as per the instructions and are now trying to get the actual mounting bracket to fit. Its all very tight and we have needed to file of a bit of casting and some aluminium flash to get it to fit.
    It now lines up with the bolts but with the fixing kit supplied i can see no way of actually fixing it on. The supplied long threaded hex nuts/collars are hard up against the face of the casting and wont turn to tighten to clamp the bracket to the lugs of the gearbox casting.
    I can't imagine you hold the collars flush to the bracket with them locked in place by the face of the casting then run the long bolt through the threads in the actual casting then through the threads in the hex spacers - trying to tighten 2 seperate threads together will never work and runs the risk of stripping one.
    We must be doing some thing wrong ?
    Any ideas ?
    Do i need to remove more metal from the casting ?
    Have i go tthe wrong bits?
    Last image show the the hex collar in without the bracket, clearly showing it wont turn

Thanks[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Screenshot_20221023_000912_com.android.chrome.jpg Cool project for a father and son.

I wonder do they expect you to drill out the threads in the gearbox?

If you look at the 3rd last pic, for example, there's a lot of drill bit shavings too.

3. philip smith New Member

On on 02J you definately have to drill ot the threads for the mount that fits on the top of the gearbox casting (shown in the photo Tristain posted) but there is no mention of needing to do this for the at the rear of the gearbox - the one im struggling with

Its more of a Son - father project :-) He is doing all the work and paying for everthing, im just there as an extra pair of hands and for when things don't go as planned!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022