Project Pedro

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Apr 15, 2022.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The tt comps clear with no spacers, which is why I chose them (as well as liking them)
    I believe the leon cupra (not R) starfish wheels clear with a 10mm spacer. Ibiza cupra alloys fit, the ones that are 17" mini lcr type, they are made for clearing AP 4 pots, unsure if need any spacers.
    Nothing packed on the 256 rear either just straight on, as they are from a fwd lcr they bolt straight up, whereas the 4wd ones off a tt may need spacing, 6mm rings a bell. Octavia vrs rear calipers are also straight fit.
    Regaring wheels they are 7.5j off the top of my head, I'll check tomorrow as have a spare in the garage for the et. But it's not that which affects the fit really, that's more strut and arch clearance, what is important is the dimensions from inner spoke to where the wheel face mounts, that's the well that the caliper sits in. So a different style wheel with identical et, j and radius wont necessarily fit without spacers, depends on spoke design, but the lcr brembo is less obtrusive than a porsche caliper supposedly. Screenshot_20220430-223252_Chrome.jpg
    No spacers on the calipers on my hubs which are the polo gti/ibiza cupra/fabia vrs ones, so separate carriers, same set up as the lcr or mk4 golf really.
    My original plan was these brakes on the mk2 golf with mk3 vr6 hubs, even had caliper brackets cnc cut to fit, they need about 5mm from memory, may be 6, or even 5.5, they are not floating calipers like normal so need centralising to the disc, washers also work, don't forget longer bolts!!
    20210524_175922.jpg 20210524_180038.jpg 20210524_175829.jpg 20211022_165819.jpg

The rs4 replica wheels needed 5mm to clear, and a set of bbs I tried ended up 20mm so was a no go.

And I had the caliper spacers made at 6mm, pic reminded me.
    Lcr brembo has a m10x1 hose union, I used mk3 early hoses on my mk2 as they are that thread, and longer than a mk2, a standard lcr uses a hard pipe between caliper and flexi fixed with a metal bracket, on the polo I have full braided line from car to caliper.

Hope that helps.

I may change the wheels yet, depends on caliper clearance for the new ones I have in mind.

Attached Files:

2. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

That is incredibly helpful, I have 8mm spacers on my wheels at the moment, and 6mm spacer on the calliper, but the clearance from calliper face to spokes is scary close.

I’m not sure what you can see in the picture but it has approx 1mm clearance.
    I’ve been debating having the spokes shaved a couple of mm.

I don’t use the car but wanted to start using it, just worried about calliper flex. So wanted to sort the wheels out.

mad for the rear I used the creation motorsport kit and polo Stubbs. I also used a spacer as my callipers were off a TT Quattro.

Attached Files:

3. dodgy

I've polo stubs in my mk2, just chopped the plate off the polo beam and milled it, much cheaper.
    Can you use 10mm spacers in front and a little neg camber for arch clearance, should have enough in the shock to hub mount to adjust

4. dodgy

New wiper blades on, A pillar trims arrived and fitted, handles, light and visors collected and in, just waiting for the clips and vanity lights to come in the post, but I think it's ready for its mot, just have to find time to get it in. 20220529_154955.jpg
    Also had a polo gti engine cover turn up, will need a repaint, but it was the only one I could find.

Carried on with a couple of other bits this afternoon, front splitter repaired, front gti bumper prepped and both primed in first coat, bit more sanding and primer then flash red time. 20220529_182851.jpg

Attached Files:

caddyboet likes this.
  5. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good!
    Finally put a few more bits on mine too, Trying to locate a decent set 10mm hub centric spaces to try your idea out.

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

7. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

I found those too. I Was looking for something locally so I could of collected them.

8. dodgy

Test booked for Thursday, got hold of the wiring g for a mk4 golf vanity lights yesterday in Somerset, before the drive home.
    Lights and visor clips arrived today so have wired it up and all fitted properly now, snazzy stuff.
    Dug through the shed as sold a set of wheels and have extracted the pair of new wings for the car, will get some quotes for front end paint, or possibly look to do myself.
    New number plates arrived but not fitted, and rain deflectors have turned up and fitted, it's great having a few days off work.
    Spares have been consigned to the boot for now during the clear out, will sort after the mot.
    Insured it too, fingers crossed for the ticket, its already had an inspection by leia. 20220607_182754.jpg

Savagesam and afbiker02 like this.
  9. dodgy

Mot passed this morning, new battery purchased as it wasn't holding charge. Can now run the car and iron out teething problems before swapping engines over, well, depending upon a few factors that is, golf, house and possible next project direction.

10. dodgy

New airbag arrived, clips on my original didn't fit the new gti wheel, so ordered another one, touran, fits but the electric plug is different.
    Swapped my original loom in after soldering the horn wires due to different connections, and it pops in neatly.
    Will get a picture later, but interior is loads better now, everything works, might look into recovering the door panel fabric in tartan, and an easy way to fit electric window motors, believe the original type need the controller module or something? Not just plug and play sub loom.

11. watercooled Forum Member

Very cool looking wee car,you don't see too many later ones in my country,plenty of tatty early ones came in from Japan but many dead now.
    What are your repower plans ?.

dodgy likes this.
  12. dodgy

Got a tuned 1.8t sat on a wheelie pallet in the garage, seat sport intercooler, full milltek exhaust and a few other goodies.
    What I would love to find is a Japan spec rear bumper for it, but they are slightly difficult to find here, also there's opening side windows from Europe, again unicorn poop.

13. watercooled Forum Member

Man that is going to go really well,have no issue getting Jap spec parts here as SO much VAG stuff imported as well as insurance write off parts cars,generally the stuff out of Japan is ROW spec but LHD is mostly the exception .
    A lot of the imports are rather base specs ,appears the japanese don't tick many option boxes when ordering ,IMO reason for this is they don't own them long due to increasing insurance cost as the get older,once out of factory warranty servicing is mostly forgotten.
    Looks like you have all the bases covered for a large injection of power lol.

dodgy likes this.
  14. dodgy

Went to drive the car to work on Wednesday morning, and just had a 'Click' on turning the key.
    Hmm, not great after buying a new battery.
    Took the starter out and stuck jump leads on it, seemed lazy even without any load on it, so ordered a replacement. Unfortunately it's different to the 1.8t one which I did have a spare one of.
    Got it fitted this afternoon and turns over much better and is all back together and running
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

15. dodgy

Rear shock started to rattle, so bit the bullet and bought new suspension kit, was going for bilstein but there is a massive wait for them, so the urgency has dictated slightly as to what was available.
    Koni str kit which arrived 36 hours after order placed on Sunday, with higher rate front springs for the 1.8t engine, so when the other new covers arrive I'll be fitting these. 20220705_173332.jpg

afbiker02 and daNpy like this.
  16. daNpy Forum Member

Nice purchase!

dodgy likes this.
  17. dodgy

New top mounts and covers have arrived for the rear so can assemble ready to swap over the weekend fingers crossed.

18. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Nowt wrong with Koni. It's going to be a proper GoKart.

dodgy likes this.
  19. dodgy

It stops very well, will handle good, I'll be able to fully exploit the 55 horsepower!

daNpy likes this.
  20. dodgy

Caught an hour after work today, so rear shocks built up and swapped, the ones that were on it were pretty much past it, so bound to be an improvement.
    Will try to get front shocks on in next few days but with the original lowered springs as these new ones are for the heavier engine, but here's some pics of orange bits. 20220708_162905.jpg

The top mounts I bought came with the new bolts to the car which I thought was pretty good.

20220708_164419.jpg
    Not got any photos of it back on wheels, but height wise it should be similar or slightly lower.

Attached Files:

PhilRyder likes this.